• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom heading to Japan as Sonic Toon

L~A

Guess they wanna do even better than Yakuza 1&2HD and Sonic Lost World Wii U :)

Predicting sub 1k sales for the Wii U version, 3DS version barely in Famitsu Top 30 on launch week.

Well, this is certainly something. I'm still not entirely sure what, though.

image.php

Toad.T

Banned
Finally, I can play toon Sonic with toon Dark Magician Girl and Blue Eyes Toon Dragon.

Yugi won't stand a chance.

RK128

....Welp, they don't want to lose money, right?

I guess it could work in Japan (at least the 3DS version; that version is more faithful to past games than the Wii U version), but don't Sonic games sell like crap in Japan? Sure, I remember Jak 1 being a hit in Japan but...I don't know; we think the Wii U version looks sub-par....what is Japan going to think about this...

Either way, this isn't a stupid move (as the game MIGHT be successful in Japan), so who knows :l.

HUELEN10

I wonder if there will be some Japanese Sonic fans that moan if they don't get the original English track as an option...

Opposite happens all the time.

L~A

The game is being developped in the West. In English. They're spending more money to localise it, for what, 4k sales total the first month? It's a real waste of money, and doesn't make any sense at all.

Sonic Lost World was JP made game, and it sold like crap.
This a Western developped game, made for the West, based on a TV show only airing in the West (so far). It's not going to end well.

Village

The game is being developped in the West. In English. They're spending more money to localise it, for what, 4000k sales total the first month? It's a real waste of money, and doesn't make any sense at all.

Sonic Lost World was JP made game, and it sold like crap.
This a Western developped game, made for the West, based on a TV show only airing in the West (so far). It's not going to end well.

4 million , someone is dreaming big

HardRojo

I still don't understand what lead to the creation of this game and the redesign of the characters, it's not appealing at all and they were doing fine since Unleashed, Colors and Generations were pretty good ones, haven't played Lost World yet.

Xater

Well it does tie in with a cartoon so kind of accurate?

Eh whatever the game looks bad. The constant bad chatter between the characters is enough to keep me away.

Popnbake

I still don't understand what lead to the creation of this game and the redesign of the characters, it's not appealing at all and they were doing fine since Unleashed, Colors and Generations were pretty good ones, haven't played Lost World yet.

Guess they wanted a fresh take on the series but perhaps they need to tone it down a bit.

Adding in new characters like Sticks is one thing but making her crazy with that accent?... :/

image.php
image.php

Now a series revolving around ^ those two is something I want to see.

Shojx

Didn't see that coming.

From what I've seen, the scripts for the Japanese Sonic games are usually better, as in less cheesy, than their American counterparts. So that right there, with the fact that I like Sonic's Japanese VA, would make the show/games more appealing to me.

Unfortunately, 2% interest isn't much better than 1% in this situation, so I'm still highly unlikely to watch/play it either way.

This has me even more curious about what Sonic Team in Japan is working on.
Does this mean whatever they're working on is farther off than we might think?
I don't think they'd release something along side "Sonic Toon", lol.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What an odd change, I guess to differentiate it from the Japanese made games more, I suppose? Is "toon" commonly used in Japan when talking about western comics and animation?

Also why can't Sega just make Sonic Generations 2?

Videoneon

This is a surprise.

shojx also makes an interesting point. I am wondering what sort of angle the humor, and the general writing, is going to take. Will characterizations deviate from whatever's already established in Japan in the original canon (do they really want to make Knuckles slow on the uptake?) Plus the original doesn't sound funny at all anyway, unless they also decide to include epic meme talk humor in the Japan version.

I guess it could work in Japan (at least the 3DS version; that version is more faithful to past games than the Wii U version), but don't Sonic games sell like crap in Japan?

Sonic games generally sell fewer games in Japan than they do in the West, IIRC. On occasion games localized from the West to Japan will sell fairly well, GTA4 was one of them I think.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I kinda wish that they also called it Sonic Toon in the west so it wouldn't share the name with the Sonic Boom song.

Urgh Sonic Toon is such a joke and is going to suck so much, Sonic didn't need to be western treatment.

Spaghetti

the best thing to come out of sonic boom is that it hopefully frees up sonic team to make something that isn't fucking sonic for a while.

DedValve

Banned
Guess they wanted a fresh take on the series but perhaps they need to tone it down a bit.

Adding in new characters like Sticks is one thing but making her crazy with that accent?... :/

image.php
image.php

Now a series revolving around ^ those two is something I want to see.

It'd be like Arrow except Knuckles is the arrow, Shadow is felicity and tails is diggles.

I wouldn't be surprised if I googled Sonic x Green arrow and found exactly this.

Top Bottom