• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The fall of 2001 was the greatest 3 months in the history of console games.

Phediuk

It's utterly mindboggling how many now-classic console games came out between September 20 and December 20, 2001. On the flipside, it was a fairly slow season (and year) for PC games, but jesus fuck, these 90 days was pretty much the peak of console gaming history, and I say that without a single bit of conscious hyperbole. With the way the market's changed since then, I don't even know if it will be possible to have a deluge of games like this on consoles ever again.

Let's recap, shall we?

September 24

jZVQEkSN9aRaY.jpg

September 30

October 17

October 22

October 28

October 31

November 1

Ac04box.jpg

November 5

November 11

November 14

November 15

November 18

November 20

November 23

December 3

December 11

December 17

Yep, that's it. That's where it peaked. That's where the old Japanese-dominated market met the new Western-dominated market. That's when we had three mind-blowing, cutting-edge new consoles all hitting their stride simultaneously. That's when game and console sales were through the roof across the board. If not for the collapse of Sega and being a relative slump year for PC gaming I would say it was the single greatest 90 days in video game history, but I'll have to content myself with saying it was the greatest period in console game history.

This post kind of reaffirms my (controversial) opinion that box art has been truly terrible up until this recent gen.

Pretty gud line-up though. Nintendo games all amazing.

antitrop

It was my sophomore year of high school and I used my summer job money to buy a PS2 and preorder Devil May Cry. That was a great time.

gngf123

This post kind of reaffirms my (controversial) opinion that box art has been truly terrible up until this recent gen.

Pretty gud line-up though. Nintendo games all amazing.

OP could have used the good Ico box art at least:

Ico_cover_-_EU%2BJP.jpg

Although I guess they are clearly looking at NA only, so it makes sense that they didn't.

I can't deny those games though. I miss those days.

linko9

Ah yes, back when great games came out at and soon after the launch of consoles. Twas glorious indeed.

akaoni

Banned
Sweet baby Jesus you're probably right. Though those were the days when messed up release dates were more common place, I remember waiting several months more for MGS2.

Seriously though...

Grand Theft Auto...
Metal Gear Solid...
Halo...
Super Mario...
Final Fantasy...
Super Smash Bros...

New installments in all the mega franchises within a 3 month period. Wtf.

Fall 04 included:

Halo 2
Metroid Prime 2
MGS3
GTA San Andreas
Half Life 2
Burnout 3
Fable
Katamari Damacy
World of Warcraft
Jak 3
Star Wars Battlefront

Jimrpg

I owned all of those consoles and about half of those games though most not at release.

Same. With the exception of the GameCube and gameboy advance games I have all the titles.

I remember I had the difficulty of choosing between silent hill 2, gta 3, mgs 2, ico, dmc to buy at full price. I got the first three.

Lucky in Australia we got final fantasy x 6 months later and the xbox in April of the following year.

But if ur an American yes, no other fall year has come close!

Oddduck

Having Halo 1, GTA3, MGS2, and Smash Bros Melee in the same time frame was crazy.

GTA3 took Grand Theft Auto into the 3rd dimension, and GTA's popularity skyrocketed because of it.

Halo 1 is main reason why the Xbox brand gained popularity.

MGS2 was the game that made many people want to buy a PlayStation 2.

And Smash Bros Melee is why people take the Smash Bros series much more seriously. It was a huge jump over smash bros 64.

antitrop

GTA III was all of my winter vacation. I was completely immersed. The most I had been in any game that wasn't an RPG.

Fall 04 included:

Halo 2
Metroid Prime 2
MGS3
GTA San Andreas
Half Life 2
Burnout 3
Fable
Katamari Damacy
World of Warcraft
Jak 3
Star Wars Battlefront

As well as KOTOR II and the Japanese version of Dragon Quest VIII.

Fall of 04 is the only one who holds a candle to 2001 IMO. Both were incredible.

Hatchtag

Banned
>GTA V, Halo MC Collection, Super Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U, Pokemon ORAS (original was slightly later but still)
The early 2000s nostalgiafest that will be coming this fall will be so god damn good.

Tookay

Fall 04 included:

Halo 2
Metroid Prime 2
MGS3
GTA San Andreas
Half Life 2
Burnout 3
Fable
Katamari Damacy
World of Warcraft
Jak 3
Star Wars Battlefront

And Paper Mario 2.

But yeah that year was pretty decent too.

1998 and 2001 though might be the best though.

ElyrionX

Good times. I bought my PS2 in November 2001 immediately after the conclusion of my major exams. That lineup was unbeatable.

EDIT: You missed Ace Combat 4, OP

AAK

Devil May Cry and MGS2.

2 of the most wonderous games ever made.

Although 2001 was also the year when Tekken 4 was released. That game catalyzed the demise of North American arcades.

I never knew that all of those games were released in 3 months. That's one hell of a line up and I'm happy to have played most of them.

Phediuk

Good times. I bought my PS2 in November 2001 immediately after the conclusion of my major exams. That lineup was unbeatable.

EDIT: You missed Ace Combat 4, OP

Man, any other time of any other year and there's no way I'd overlook something like Ace Combat 4.

Fall 2001, man! Holy shit!

Kuroyume

Banned
Most of those games are either overrated or crap. Those MGS and FF sequels were disappointments following their predecessors

IrishNinja

Fall 04 included:

Halo 2
Metroid Prime 2
MGS3
GTA San Andreas
Half Life 2
Burnout 3
Fable
Katamari Damacy
World of Warcraft
Jak 3
Star Wars Battlefront

As well as KOTOR II and the Japanese version of Dragon Quest VIII.

Fall of 04 is the only one who holds a candle to 2001 IMO. Both were incredible.

And Paper Mario 2.

okay, this is a strong 2nd place no doubt, but OP still makes a stronger case overall
really hoping 2015 ends up being a contender!

Eusis

I came in expecting hyperbole but Jesus that's an insane line up for one season. What was 1998 by comparison?
Off the top of my head (albeit not the end of the year): Starcraft, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, Mega Man Legend, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Klonoa, Half Life, Xenogears... I think 1998 was significantly better for JRPGs and niche games at least, Final Fantasy X was huge but it was a signal of increasing hyperlinearity for JRPGs, and Golden Sun was kind of flat compared to those 1998 titles.

EDIT: I think 2004 was way, way better for that generation, but 2001 was probably one of the best kick offs for a generation ever, both the GC and Xbox got off way better than the Wii and 360 did, and PS2 blew up in a way that only the DS rivals and not within the mainstream view I'm sure.

Ont

Also Tribes 2 was released on PC earlier that year. Although it had inferior gameplay when compared to Tribes 1, I still think that online FPS games peaked with Tribes 2. The netcode, community features, modding, and the sheer scale of the maps were so much ahead of their time. I get a lot of enjoyment out of newer games like Titanfall, but I'm still hoping that one day some company will do a proper Tribes game again. Unfortunately the current owners of the IP will propably turn the franchise into another tired MMO.

kd-z

And I thought 2007 was awesome. Shows how young I am I guess.

Well, 2007 still was awesome. It was like every huge game franchise decided to have a new, amazing installment. Of the top of my head: Halo 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction. Also completely news games that defined the generation: Mass Effect, Uncharted, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Assassin's Creed, Crysis, Bioshock.

I have to disagree with SSX Tricky. People only have a hard on for tricky because it has more style and personality than any other SSX game. However SSX 3 has a way better atmosphere, flows better and is infinitely more complete and coherent as a game and it also controls way better too.

Beyond that, it's really one of those games you don't realize how bad it was till you replay it and realize all it's flaws. Other than that, it's a fantastic list :D

Top Bottom