• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 X360 - Same location/themes, No Weather/Drivatars, More details later

Kayant

"It's based in the same world, it's based on the same themes," creative director Ralph Fulton told Digital Spy at E3 2014.

"Rather than thinking of them as the same game on different platforms, they are different games inspired by the same ideas."

While Microsoft will talk more specifically about the Xbox 360 edition later this year, Fulton confirmed the weather system and Drivatars are only possible on Xbox One.

More here - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...ifferent-game-inspired-by-the-same-ideas.html

Totally expected being that both are done on different engines and power differences.
Lock if old.

Ape

Banned
Drivatars only on Xbox One? Oh, please.

Edit - unless that means the 360 isn't getting dedicated servers. That would make sense then and really really suck for 360 owners.

iMax

Drivatars only on Xbox One? Oh, please.

Edit - unless that means the 360 isn't getting dedicated servers. That would make sense then and really really suck for 360 owners.

Can't undermine your flagship product.

Kelsey

Banned
I expect that it will resemble Horizon 1, just in a new locale with a new selection of cars and radio stations. Not bad for people who can't afford to upgrade to a new console, or simply don't want to.

Fox Mulder

I might end up playing both if they're that different. I'm still going to have a 360 for awhile with my backlog and no BC.

I may only get a xb1 this holiday at the earliest.

Chobel

Fulton confirmed the weather system and Drivatars are only possible on Xbox One

Now that's bullshit, there's no technical reason for X360 version to not have Drivatars.

Freeman

Banned
Why would drivatars only be possible for Xbox One?

I understand if they are choosing not to make it available for 360 but pretending its not possible is BS. MS really needs to drop their failed PR strategies, it probably does them much more harm than good, it gives the impression they are constantly trying to deceive the consumer (which is probably true anyway, so I guess its a good thing they are not very good at it).

Kayant

There's no reason for X360 version to not have Drivatars.

True.... The thing is the thunderhead reserve can only be used by XB1 apparently and unlike with TF were I think respawn are paying for it on PC and X360 even after the policy change for XB1 which devs got "free" access on XB1.

"Most importantly to us, Microsoft priced it so that it’s far more affordable than other hosting options – their goal here is to get more awesome games, not to nickel-and-dime developers. So because of this, dedicated servers are much more of a realistic option for developers who don’t want to make compromises on their player experience, and it opens up a lot more things that we can do in an online game."

Basically MS are pushing the X360 version. There is indeed nothing stopping it seeing as it's just downloaded data if am not mistaken.

I have a question for Forza 5 owners. Can you actually turn drivatars off and have AI instead? (Either through an in-game option or just unplugging your console from the internet).

DodgerSan

Now that's bullshit, there's no technical reason for X360 version to not have Drivatars.

I understand if they are choosing not to make it available for 360 but pretending its not possible is BS. MS really needs to drop their failed PR strategies, it probably does them much more harm than good, it gives the impression they are constantly trying to deceive the consumer (which is probably true anyway, so I guess its a good thing they are not very good at it).

The answer is simply

Can't undermine your flagship product.

I have a question for Forza 5 owners. Can you actually turn drivatars off and have AI instead? (Either through an in-game option or just unplugging your console from the internet).

No.

Personally I liked drivatars, although I think they should offer a standard AI option if you really didn't like them.

Anion

The lack of a weather system on the x360 version would annoy me. The good thing is that I am buying it on the x1

arhra

True.... The thing is the thunderhead reserve can only be used by XB1 apparently and unlike with TF were I think respawn are paying for it on PC and X360 even after the policy change for XB1 which devs got "free" access on XB1.

"Most importantly to us, Microsoft priced it so that it’s far more affordable than other hosting options – their goal here is to get more awesome games, not to nickel-and-dime developers. So because of this, dedicated servers are much more of a realistic option for developers who don’t want to make compromises on their player experience, and it opens up a lot more things that we can do in an online game."

Basically MS are pushing the X360 version. There is indeed nothing stopping it seeing as it's just downloaded data if am not mistaken.

There'd be nothing technical stopping them from uploading/downloading drivatar data.

I'd be hesitant to say there's nothing stopping them from actually using that data, as it almost certainly uses a fairly large chunk of memory per-drivatar, and the 360 is going to have enough memory issues just running the rest of the game.

"Fulton confirmed the weather system and Drivatars are only possible on Xbox One."

Looks like I will be buying the Xbox 360 version then to get away from drivatars.
They were absolutely awful in Forza 5. I have no idea why the developers think they are a good thing, I'd rather have a dumb bot.
They caused huge AI pile ups, go straight off the track, spin you out, hit you and you're just trying to have a nice clean race. Stuff that.

Drivatars were possible on the OG xbox, they are possible.

No weather is a shame but I guess they would have to gimp in other areas to get that in.

They are not going to spend millions of dollars to port the Forza 5 engine back to Xbox 360. They are going to use the Horizon 1 engine.

PqN87Wt.png

Horizon 1 was already pretty much pushing the 360 to its limits, weather most likely would've pushed it overboard. Considering they've managed to squeeze in the larger and more open map, I'm impressed that it even works on the H1 engine as it is. Fully expected and justified, IMO.

LiK

Drivatars are terrible simply because no matter how well you drive in your game, you friends will still get a shitty Drivatar version of you. Not sure how they crunch the numbers but it's not well done.

I'm not sure why we can't toggle Drivatars on and off.

If Forza 5 is anything to go by, the 360 version of Horizon 2 not having Drivatars means that it's automatically the better version.

(That said, their reasoning for omitting Drivatars from the 360 version is blatant bullshit)

shinnn

Drivatars were possible on the OG xbox, they are possible.

No weather is a shame but I guess they would have to gimp in other areas to get that in.
If I remember correctly, there was only one (yours) drivatar in OG Xbox, and it was offline.

And gimp what? framerate, v-sync, resolution? Of course the "gamers" will appreciate that. lol.

Fox Mulder

Drivatars are awful. I don't know how AI that drives like an online griefer can be seen as a positive advertised feature.

it sucks since they sound god awful. They probably fit in a game like Horizon more than Forza, but seems like they aren't going away.

I was fine with the AI in past Forza games.

they drive like dicks

Generally the most dickish of drivatars are the people from my friends list who only played a little bit of Forza. The random drivatars and the one guy on my friends list who is a Forza king don't cause any problems whatsoever.

I just need to get better quality friends on Xbox Live I guess :(

Anion

I'm actually curious as how drivatars will work in free roam. Cause, when just roaming around in FH1, the AI was kinda boring tbh

shinnn

I'm actually curious as how drivatars will work in free roam. Cause, when just roaming around in FH1, the AI was kinda boring tbh
I guess they will follow the behavior in FM5. Will act more agressive and more "alive".

Also they said that if you follow some friends drivatar, he can lead you to a new barn find.

Lemmy

Banned
Same world, same themes, same framerate :/

"Drivatars only possible on Xbox One" bit sounds like bullshit too.

If I remember correctly, there was only one (yours) drivatar in OG Xbox, and it was offline.

And gimp what? framerate, v-sync, resolution? Of course the "gamers" will appreciate that. lol.

And while it was only one drivatar it drove a ton better then these drivatars which don't seem to relate to your driving style at all, why can't we have that but with online sharing enabled for our AI?

I would say ram limits would be the biggest thing, they might have to cut back on textures, draw distance, anything to get it in there.

GD71

Banned
No.

Personally I liked drivatars, although I think they should offer a standard AI option if you really didn't like them.

There's a sweet spot for Drivatars - Expert skill has them challenging enough whilst not driving like idiots. Higher than expert they get very aggressive, below expert they take stupid racing lines and cause mayhem.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the hate for drivatars is silly. they weren't perfect in fm5, they were definitely too aggressive but its worth noting that people complained that the ai in forza has always been too aggressive and i dont find the drivatars to be much worse. they are so so much better than any other racing AI i've seen. they take their own lines. they have personality. they are unpredictable. they are a work in progress. i think with a few tweaks they could truly be exceptional - which is why i'm excited to see them return in a new game.

Anion

I already know which handful of people from my friends list are going to suddenly ram me off the road while I'm cruising around.
Hehe, would be halarious if someone's drivatar calmly tail you and then suddenly rams you off the road and races off

I guess they will follow the behavior in FM5. Will act more agressive and more "alive".

Also they said that if you follow some friends drivatar, he can lead you to a new barn find.
Oh snap, that would be kinda cool.

On a side note, this would remind me of how TDU2 worked with an option of going online in free mode. Sometime I would be trying to find a wrecked car and I would notice another real player was in the area (keep in mind these cars were far off the main road, so it would be kinda odd to see another player this far) and we would somehow work together to find the car lol

the hate for drivatars is silly. they weren't perfect in fm5, they were definitely too aggressive but its worth noting that people complained that the ai in forza has always been too aggressive and i dont find the drivatars to be much worse. they are so so much better than any other racing AI i've seen. they take their own lines. they have personality. they are unpredictable. they are a work in progress. i think with a few tweaks they could truly be exceptional - which is why i'm excited to see them return in a new game.
M. Rossi comes to mind. Man, he was pretty much my arch rival

Top Bottom