• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Nzyme32
(06-30-2014, 12:39 AM)

To the best of my knowledge Steam passed 7.5 million concurrent users over Christmas but has seemed to peak around 6.8 - 7.2 million since.

Today I noticed they peaked to 8,020,744 concurrent users, today being the final "encore" day of the summer sale.

I'm interested to hear peoples view on what they think about Steam's growth to date, and what events / games could push this further.

For reference, here are the yearly figures that were shown at Dev Days (late January 2014)

Edit: For reference, comparison of gaming accounts:

Originally Posted by Nzyme32

So summary:

Google Play Games: 100 million - in 6 months (June 2014)
Steam: 75 million - 30 day active users (Jan 2014) / 186 million total (Arstechnica Crawler estimate April 2014) [65 million 30 day active Oct 2013]
PSN: 110 million accounts (undefined - July 2013)
Xbox Live: 48 million accounts (undefined - may 2013)

Edit: Polygon have cited the thread; neogaf should get press badges for e3 back :P

Last edited by Nzyme32; 06-30-2014 at 02:02 PM.
shark sandwich
(06-30-2014, 12:41 AM)
Great to see Steam gaining steam.
Sendou
(06-30-2014, 12:44 AM)
Do we have similiar data from PS3 and Xbox 360?
Guerrillas in the Mist
(06-30-2014, 12:45 AM)
There's strong, and then there's Gaben strong.
Piercedveil
Impressive. I'm always still a little bit surprised to hear people in real life talk about Steam or see their shortcut on their desktop. Pretty cool it's becoming much more popular.
Metalic Sand
who is Emo-Beas?
It hit 8.2 on one of the early days of the sales. I notice in the pic its only 8.19 going by the peak of the graph.
TronLight
Woah at that 2012-2013 jump.

PC gaming is dead alright.
endresults
(06-30-2014, 12:46 AM)
Too bad PC gaming is dying,
Chariot
(06-30-2014, 12:47 AM)

Originally Posted by TronLight

Well, the Community Votes turned out badly, at least for Ikaruga.
JohnGrimm
(06-30-2014, 12:47 AM)
PC gaming is dead, long live PC gaming!
Coolbgdog12
(06-30-2014, 12:48 AM)
PC gaming is dead.
HoosTrax
(06-30-2014, 12:50 AM)
I'm a curmudgeon when it comes to Steam. I miss the days when the client was army green and you could actually keep up with the number of games released.

I'm interested to hear peoples view on what they think about Steam's growth to date, and what events / games could push this further.

Well for one thing, I'd think it'd be mutually beneficial for EA to return to Steam. Both in terms of the Steam concurrent count and the EA PC games that seem to be either DOA or dead shortly after launch like Titanfall and PvZ: Garden Warfare. Mutual stubborness preludes that I guess.
Last edited by HoosTrax; 06-30-2014 at 12:52 AM.
RadioActiveLobster
(06-30-2014, 12:50 AM)
That's a lot of pirates.
Oreoleo
(06-30-2014, 12:51 AM)

dat dota bump
Krejlooc
(06-30-2014, 12:53 AM)
Every time I read stuff like this, I imagine gabe n dressed as Rita repulsa throwing his staff down screaming, "magic wand, make my monster grow!"

Which is to say, go, you beautiful bastard, go!

Edit: in the last year, my father has joined steam, my sister and her family, and I've built two of my friends gaming pcs. That's 4 groupsofpeople alone that I know who have finally jumped aboard after years of hearing me evangelize the service.
Last edited by Krejlooc; 06-30-2014 at 12:55 AM.
Mass Effect
(06-30-2014, 12:57 AM)
I'm pretty sure Steam hit 8 million last year during the winter sale?
syko de4d
(06-30-2014, 01:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Mass Effect

nope, it was 7,8million
Krejlooc
(06-30-2014, 01:01 AM)

I dunno about concurrent. In January, what they were real hyped up on was the 75 million active accounts.

Steam is so enormous now. It's been incredible to watch it grow.
Mass Effect
(06-30-2014, 01:07 AM)

Originally Posted by syko de4d

nope, it was 7,8million

Oh, yep you're right. So +1 million in less than 8 months? The rate of growth is crazy, and only getting faster.
rudieboy77
(06-30-2014, 01:08 AM)
I have Steam and Origin running the entire time my PC is on. I wonder if stuff like that is counted?
kswiston
(06-30-2014, 01:09 AM)

Originally Posted by rudieboy77

I have Steam and Origin running the entire time my PC is on. I wonder if stuff like that is counted?

It is
Sothpaw
Banned
(06-30-2014, 01:11 AM)
Been a member since 2004 and have loved it since.

PC gaming dead confirmed.
Hyun Sai
(06-30-2014, 01:11 AM)
PC gamers close to find the One Piece !
Baconsaurus Rex
(06-30-2014, 01:12 AM)

Originally Posted by rudieboy77

Well yeah, you're online after all.
Sothpaw
Banned
(06-30-2014, 01:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Sendou

Do we have similiar data from PS3 and Xbox 360?

Let's just say their numbers are now in a perpetual decline while Steam continues to grow.
kswiston
(06-30-2014, 01:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Sothpaw

Been a member since 2004 and have loved it since.

PC gaming dead confirmed.

I feel like PC gaming had a resurgence between 2007-2009 and has continued to build from there. I joined Steam in 2008, and at the time, we weren't blowing through a Steam thread a month, or like 4-5 during major sales.
Krejlooc
(06-30-2014, 01:14 AM)

Oh, yep you're right. So +1 million in less than 8 months? The rate of growth is crazy, and only getting faster.

The growth rate might even be higher because this is just concurrent online users. If it was 75 million active users in january, I wonder what it's at right now.
petethepanda
(06-30-2014, 01:15 AM)
Psh, that isn't even 10 million. PC gaming is doomed.
Sothpaw
Banned
(06-30-2014, 01:15 AM)

Originally Posted by kswiston

I feel like PC gaming had a resurgence between 2007-2009 and has continued to build from there. I joined Steam in 2008, and at the time, we weren't blowing through a Steam thread a month, or like 4-5 during major sales.

WOW was an unstoppable titan back then also.
kswiston
(06-30-2014, 01:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Krejlooc

The growth rate might even be higher because this is just concurrent online users. If it was 75 million active users in january, I wonder what it's at right now.

considering that the user account number is growing a lot faster than the concurrent users, I wonder if Steam is gaining traction in the Eastern Hemisphere. I know it has been big in Russia for awhile, but what about the rest of Asia?
PfantzyPantz

What is dead may never die.

Long live Steam, and long live Gaben!
Saucycarpdog
Those 8 million people must be rich because last I checked, it cost at least $2000 to enjoy PC gaming.
Sendou
(06-30-2014, 01:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Sothpaw

Let's just say their numbers are now in a perpetual decline while Steam continues to grow.

No shit. Still would be interesting to have something to compare this number to.
Stripper13
(06-30-2014, 01:19 AM)
Not to downplay this, but I have Steam running on my PC effectively 24/7 and have only actively used it once since the PS4 launch (a bot match with a friend who is new to Dota).

So it's 8 million concurrent users - 1 if I'm the only one.
Krejlooc
(06-30-2014, 01:19 AM)

Originally Posted by kswiston

considering that the user account number is growing a lot faster than the concurrent users, I wonder if Steam is gaining traction in the Eastern Hemisphere. I know it has been big in Russia for awhile, but what about the rest of Asia?

They mentioned at Steam Dev Days that they're making a big push into China. They see China as the holy grail right now, as it's a market that primarily PC gaming first (for obvious reasons). They actually cited their success in a piracy-rich area like Russia as a factor which made them consider China. I would expect that they'll probably trump the results of them pushing into China next january.

They had an interesting statistic during their session about VOGL where they talked about the number of people in China with DX11 GPUs, who were stuck with DX9 because Windows XP is still vastly dominates China. That means there is a big market in china with gaming-class PCs.
mrlion
(06-30-2014, 01:20 AM)
PC gaming has been dying since 1995.

Edit:

Originally Posted by Saucycarpdog

Those 8 million people must be rich because last I checked, it cost at least $2000 to enjoy PC gaming.

Umm no it doesn't...
r3n4ud
(06-30-2014, 01:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Saucycarpdog

Eh? If you don't self-build, you're doing it wrong.
Krejlooc
(06-30-2014, 01:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Stripper13

Not to downplay this, but I have Steam running on my PC effectively 24/7 and have only actively used it once since the PS4 launch (a bot match with a friend who is new to Dota).

This sort of stuff goes both ways. Like, when Sony hypes up the number of PSN accounts they have, do they mention that I have 2 - one for North America and one for Japan, and that I don't subscribe to PS+ at all hence I cannot play online with my PS4?

You're right that one shouldn't read too much into the statistic, but the fact that 8 million people are running their client at once is still a testament to how far their client has proliferated. Did anybody really expect this when Steam first launched? I know I sure as hell didn't.

Originally Posted by r3n4ud

I have a $2000 self-built PC. It just demolishes all my consoles and sports cutting edge VR lol.
Pixel Warrior
(06-30-2014, 01:21 AM)

It was sarcasm, for sure.
r3n4ud
(06-30-2014, 01:22 AM)

Originally Posted by Pixel Warrior

It was sarcasm, for sure.

Hope so :/
Einbroch
(06-30-2014, 01:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Nzyme32

We Fox News now.
MonsterHunter
(06-30-2014, 01:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Stripper13

Prophane33
(06-30-2014, 01:28 AM)

In my 16+ years of PC gaming I've never built a computer myself and never will; you can get a decent custom built computer for less than 1000 easy. Always hated people assuming you needed to spend anything over 1000 dollars on a gaming PC. It's the people that walk into Best Buy and spend far too much on computers that make pre-built computers look bad. You can find deals on Dell or other makers on custom built machines and build something with a good warranty without breaking the bank. The "building it yourself" idea is great, but not everyone is comfortable doing things like that (hell, I can't even built a bookshelf) nor do they have to. I'm not skittish about sticking in more ram or a video card, but building a computer from a barebones kit or whatnot is not going to ever happen for me. I do admit that if one is motivated enough they can save a good chunk of money by building it themselves, I'm just not a fan of the exceptionalism/elitism that comes from that camp. (though the PC gaming is too expensive crowd is the absolute worst-- next to console only gamers :-P ).
Heavy's Sandvich
(06-30-2014, 01:29 AM)

sick steam. more of an IM client for me these days.
Nzyme32
(06-30-2014, 01:29 AM)

Originally Posted by MonsterHunter

This is always an interesting statistic. It's a shame they don't make it so easy to track how this changes over time
kswiston
(06-30-2014, 01:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Prophane33

In my 16+ years of PC gaming I've never built a computer myself and never will; you can get a decent custom built computer for less than 1000 easy. Always hated people assuming you needed to spend anything over 1000 dollars on a gaming PC. It's the people that walk into Best Buy and spend far too much on computers that make pre-built computers look bad. You can find deals on Dell or other makers on custom built machines and build something with a good warranty without breaking the bank. The "building it yourself" idea is great, but not everyone is comfortable doing things like that (hell, I can't even built a bookshelf) nor do they have to. I'm not skittish about sticking in more ram or a video card, but building a computer from a barebones kit or whatnot is not going to ever happen for me. I do admit that if one is motivated enough they can save a good chunk of money by building it themselves, just not a fan of the exceptionalism/elitism that comes from that camp. (though the PC gaming is too expensive crowd is the absolute worst-- next to console only gamers :-P ).

There are sites that let you "build your own computer" from whatever components you want, and then an extra $50-100 to have it actually put together. That's the route I would go if I wasn't comfortable doing it myself.
Ceebs
(06-30-2014, 01:37 AM)
If you are going "Wow PC gaming" don't forget to consider the whatever percentage of the 25 million daily LoL players who do not use Steam.

That game's concurrent player count blows my mind.
low-G
(06-30-2014, 01:38 AM)
whenever I've built my own gaming PC it's been a poorly wired semi-mess. My hands are too large. Last gaming PC was marked up $100 off of having just built it myself, and it was tested for me and professionally wired. Saved me a day of work and a lot of freaking out, so it's worth it IMO.

Also, I can't stand the thought of accidentally wrecking a CPU because of some small fumble of hands and being out hundreds of $$$$.
Krejlooc
(06-30-2014, 01:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Ceebs

If you are going "Wow PC gaming" don't forget to consider the whatever percentage of the 25 million daily LoL players who do not use Steam.

That game's concurrent player count blows my mind.

And then, when that's blowing your mind, think about all the other Korean and TenCent games like CrossFire.
Nzyme32
(06-30-2014, 01:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Einbroch

We Fox News now.

Not sure where you are going with this? Concurrent users (which today past 8 million) and active user accounts are two statistics that have relatively well tracked data, giving a good look at Steam's growth. They do have numbers for "Currently in-game" vs "Currently Online" but I have yet to see comparisons per year / month.

Of course the data has it's downsides as does every published metric from every platform regarding account numbers, online players etc. Definitions of "Active" users are often different, and peoples ability to be counted as a concurrent or online user despite possibly being idle may muddle numbers to varying degrees. If the metrics do not change, comparisons can still be made per platform to discuss growth.