• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dino Crisis 15th Anniversary Thread: Jaw remembers what Capcom doesn't

Jawmuncher

Tpz9DVT.png

Dino Crisis was first released on the PS1 in Japan on July 1st 1999.
Since then the series has become the most well known franchise when it comes to dinosaurs in video games.
Capcom seems to have no plans for the series 15th anniversary so making this thread is my own way of celebrating as the series continues to lie in slumber.

ZQTFrXM.png

5WCVVjd.png
exDmxmg.jpg
8Dj9UkO.jpg

Dino Crisis [PSX/DC/PC] (Release Date July 1st 1999)
-The first game in the series to be released was a survival horror game or as Capcom tried to market it a "Survival Panic" game.
Which was used because of the dinosaurs, and the panic they could cause with their aggressiveness and speed.

Dino Crisis 2 [PSX/PC] (Release Date September 13th 2000)
-The second game in the series dropped the survival horror of the first and instead opted for a heavy action focus.
While quite the jump in genre, the change was looked at in a positive light. Since it gave the game it's own identity rather than something more akin Resident Evil.

Dino Stalker [PS2] (Release Date June 27 2002)
-The "third" game in the series was a part of Capcoms Gun Survivor series.
Dino Stalker utilized a light gun which allowed more control to the player over the typical fare of that genre.
While not a numbered entry in the franchise. It is the only game in the series to offer some insight as to what has happened after Dino Crisis 2.

Oj0i24m.png

3SIBCNl.png

Regina
The main character of both the 1st and 2nd games as well as the face of the entire franchise.
She is a agent of S.O.R.T. (Secret Operation Raid Team) and mostly known because of her red hair.
Despite being the main character she was never given a last name in any game.

FQR6APj.png

Gail
The leader of S.O.R.T. An individual who places the mission first and prefers to work solo.
Allowing his team to accomplish objectives in their own way.

JYlXXCv.png

Rick
The tech expert of S.O.R.T. Rick was a member of the team who would look for the least aggressive approach to objectives.
The complete opposite of their leader gale.

Jr3w24L.png

Dylan Morton
The second protagonist of Dino Crisis 2. Dylan is a member of T.R.A.T. (Tactical Reconnaissance and Acquisition Team).
His role was secondary though as the 2nd game progressed and with the events of Dino Stalker. He was poised to become a lead in the series.

MTNiKAi.png

Mike Wired
The protagonist of Dino Stalker. Mike Wired is actually a WW2 pilot sent through time into the events after Dino Crisis 2.

3pcw3Mo.png

(To try and get new fans into the series i'll only be giving brief synopses)

The events of Dino Crisis revolve around S.O.R.T. infiltrating Ibis Island to recover Dr. Kirk.
A scientist in charge of a secret weapons project and who was reported dead 3 years ago.
Needless to say the mission from the start is in disarray once the discovery of dinosaurs is discovered.
Which have been brought onto the island due to Dr. Kirks secret project Third Energy (A project meant to be a infinite energy resource) causing a time rift.

Dino Crisis 2 is set sometime after the first game. Regina is sent in as a adviser for T.R.A.T. who are investigating Edward City.
A city which has become overrun with dinosaurs after another unsafe research into third energy caused another time rift.

Dino Stalker is set before and after Dino Crisis 1&2. The beginning of the game involves Mike Wired in a WW2 aerial fight being sent back through time due to a time rift.
He is then sent after the events of Dino Crisis 2. With his goal being to return to his own time.

D3yu7G5.png

• In Dino Crisis 1 Regina's face varied on multiple artwork. A more American face was used in the west while a more Japanese face was used for the east. Dino Crisis 2 decided to stick with the American facial features.
  • While there are 3 endings to Dino Crisis 1 none have been confirmed as canon since the events of Dino Crisis 2 do not reference any ending at all.
  • In Dino Crisis 1 Rick mentions that what is happening on the island "is just like that movie" which is a reference to Jurassic park.
  • Regina appeared in NamcoXCapcom as a playable character and as a costume in Resident Evil 3 as well as Dead Rising 3s Ultra DLC
  • Ibris Island is located in the Borginia Republic. Borginia was in another capcom game Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
  • A gameboy color version was in development but was later cancelled because of technical limitations
  • The Japanese websites for these games are still active as of this posting
  • A manga was released for Dino Crisis 1 but is self contained and deviates from the original plot.
zJgANQB.png

Games that shouldn't be seen as part of the series in anyway.
qcVPjlg.png
75HVID2.gif

Dino Crisis 3 was originally planned for both Xbox and PS2, but the latter was scrapped early on due to technical issues.
Why there is no [ONLY ON XBOX] stamp on the top of the box art is beyond me.
The game has nothing to do with DC1&2 and even forgetting that is still a terrible game and experience.
It was because of this games failure in both sales and critical reception that the series has been dormant for so long.
I plan on doing a extensive write up on everything wrong with the game in the future.

Dino Crisis 3D (Also known as DC:Dungeon in Chaos) is a early mobile game.
The objective of the game is to explore a maze and kill dinosaurs.
It's a horrible time for anyone who attempts to play it. There's a reason it's all but forgotten.
The game doesn't even have a wiki page of any kid that I could find.

wR649A8.png

It has been 12 years since the last Dino Crisis game. Which is more than long enough to get rid of the the horrible taste left by DC3.
As of right now there are rumors that capcom is prepping the series for a come back. Though there has not been any solid evidence to support the claim aside from murmurs of the rumor going on for the past year.
Considering capcom showed nothing at E3 2014 I like to hope that a DC reboot is something they plan on revealing within the year.

Dino Crisis 1 and 2 are both available on the US and JPN PSN.
Sadly Europe was left out by capcom.

Also if a new Dino Crisis game is revealed and I am honored with the privilege of making the OT. It will be 10x better than the effort here I promise. Since I had to whip this up pretty quick since I almost forgot the anniversary :X
Until Next Time Gaf.
tumblr_mcxwwvzUyP1qmzcsgo2_500.gif

Skele7on

Banned
GREAT OT

I seriously loved this game growing up, it had what I loved most, horror elements and dinosaurs what more could a kid want?!

I certainly want a new one, but I worry as lets face it Capcom haven't made a decent game in years, I would hate to see it butchered.

Although saying that HD remake would be AWESOME 1&2 only as you said, 3 didn't happen....

Jucksalbe

Banned
Bought the first two quite a while ago on PSN and still haven't (re-)played them yet. I finished the first one when it was released on PSX, but that was so long ago I hardly remember anything about it other than that it was a good game. I didn't even know there was a Dreamcast port. Any important differences to the PSX version?

Jawmuncher

Bought the first two quite a while ago on PSN and still haven't (re-)played them yet. I finished the first one when it was released on PSX, but that was so long ago I hardly remember anything about it other than that it was a good game. I didn't even know there was a Dreamcast port. Any important differences to the PSX version?

It has better textures than the PSX game, but it's nothing substantial that you should go out of your way for it if you already have the PS1 games.

zma1013

I remember the first game quite well and really liked it as far as feeding my Resident Evil need in between Resident Evil games.

bigkrev

I replayed DC2 a few months ago for the first time in a decade, beat the game in under 4 hours despite remembering almost nothing and getting horribly stuck looking for the keycard at the waterfall for over half an hour before checking a guide. I don't think that would fly at full price anymore!

I think the hopes of a new entry are dead at this point. There hasn't been a game in over 10 years, and the IP wasn't successful enough that reviving it will lead to more buzz than a new IP would.

Anung

Un Rama
I miss it as well OP ;_; Me and my friends have been playing through 1 recently and its so good. Trying to get a hold of 2. This series needs to come back so bad. Also stick Resi 6 combat but with added Dinosaurs and that'll be awesome.

Daximuss

Wow, I totally forgot about Dino Crisis.

I loved the first two, but never played the others. How cool would it be if Capcom brought this franchise back.

Dahbomb

Dino Crisis 3 ranks among the likes of Devil May Cry 2 and Ninja Gaiden 3 in the tier of completely garbage sequel.

DC 1 and 2 are both amazing games on their own.

DC is a fantastic refinement of the survival horror formula and DC2 is a really fun arcade game.

DC2 was really fun.... but the real great one was DC, it was a perfect survival horror game, they nailed it so hard with this game.

If they ever wanted to reboot the series they should stick to the survival horror feelings the first game had, not the action arcade the 2nd one was presented with.

Carbonox

Dino Crisis 1 and 2 were superb games. The former survival horror and the latter more action-packed. The Dino version of Alien and Aliens.

Fucking shameful what Capcom did with the franchise but then it is Capcom after all.

BadWolf

Didn't finish 1 for some reason but did finish the second and remember enjoying it quite a bit.

A new entry in the series would be nice.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Dino Crisis 1 and 2 I feel are very special games, still need to play the Gun Survivor game though.

Dino Crisis 1 is a classic-styled survival-horror game, describing it as Resident Evil with dinosaurs is not too far off the mark. But it's actually one of the best RE clones in my opinion (which I guess makes sense as it was directed by Shinji Mikami and a lot of people who worked on the first RE game worked on Dino Crisis), and in my opinion where it shines is how different its enemies work to other usual old-school horror games, and its puzzles, which I feel are some of the best in old horror games.

Dino Crisis 2 is basically a predecessor to the current Mercenaries Mode in the RE games. You try to keep a combo going to get the highest score, and then spend score on weapons, items, and upgrades. However, love the variety of enemies in the game, how it still has puzzles and switch-up situations throughout, and introduces new elements, obstacles, and dangers as the game goes on. Also has one of the best underwater levels in gaming, I would argue.

Still the best games featuring dinosaurs.

woodypop

I never knew about Dino Stalker. Is it worth tracking down?

Also, is the Dreamcast version of Dino Crisis the best way to play the game on console? Does it make any notable changes?

rashbeep

Banned
DC2 is one of my favourite games of all time. The fact that there was never any real resolution to the story irks me as much as a lack of HL3.

Great OT Jawmuncher, I missed this first go around on the PS1 and always wondered why such an awesome idea never got iterated on past DC2. I had not realised there was a DC3, I'm now anticipating that future write up with glee!

Jawmuncher

I never knew about Dino Stalker. Is it worth tracking down?

Also, is the Dreamcast version of Dino Crisis the best way to play the game on console? Does it make any notable changes?

Dino Stalker is only worth tracking down if you must have some more Dino Crisis. Not a bad game by any means but not exactly anything special either.

The dreamcast version of Dino Crisis is better than the PSX version because of textures but thats it. There's no noticeable changes aside from that. If you have the PSX version on disc using an emulator gives you just about the same quality.

Drame

While I haven't played the first Dino Crisis the second was one of my most played ps one titles. My buddies and I would spend our saturday afternoons comboing through the dino ridden forests. Most of the time we would play the game from beginning to the end in one sitting. I still remember the key moments of the game quite well and who could forget the best Capcom save room theme there is: http://youtu.be/0K0IwN-tnqI

I remember being so excited to read about Dino Crisis 3 on Games Master. I was even impressed with it being in space and all. Too bad it didn't turn out well.

Timeaisis

I love Dinosaurs, I love(ed) Resident Evil, Dino Crisis just sounds great to me. It's weird how I never played any of these games, even though I remember watching a friend play through the first one. How do they hold up?

Also, I'm completely onboard with a sequel, even though I never played the previous games. We need more dino games, dammit!

Dino Crisis 2 was the shit. Very tight, well paced and fun action game. I also liked the original a great deal; when I was a teen the idea of getting a Resident Evil+Jurassic Park hybrid was kind of a big deal.

InsuRn

I have the same question. I'm looking for a game to un-dust my Dreamcast and since I've never played Dino Crisis, it seems a good fit.

EDIT: I just saw Jawmuncher response and I'll play it on Dreamcast. I'll go buy it in my local game store since I saw it used. Thanks !

rashbeep

Banned
I love Dinosaurs, I love(ed) Resident Evil, Dino Crisis just sounds great to me. It's weird how I never played any of these games, even though I remember watching a friend play through the first one. How do they hold up?

Also, I'm completely onboard with a sequel, even though I never played the previous games. We need more dino games, dammit!

They hold up very well imo.

Jawmuncher

They hold up well though your enjoyment of Resident Evil Tank Controls is the biggest factor. If you never liked that form of movement you probably won't enjoy them.

I have the same question. I'm looking for a game to un-dust my Dreamcast and since I've never played Dino Crisis, it seems a good fit.

The dreamcast version has better textures and is technically better than the PSX version. Though it's not a huge improvement but is noticeable.
If you don't have the game and have a dreamcast it is the best way to play it. Aside from using emulation on either copy.

Xav

Dino Crisis: Loved it, it's literally Resident Evil x Dinosaurs.

Dino Crisis 2: Didn't like the action focus as much but it was a great game in it's own way too.

Dino Crisis 3: Never played it because it was on Xbox. It didn't even resemble the Dino Crisis series at all.

drspeedy

Awesome OT.

Strangely enough I just started playing DC1 on PSX last week, I wasn't aware that the anniversary was coming up, but hey, more reason to enjoy the game. I'm digging the true survival horror feel, they nailed the creepy, claustrophobic vibe that we've been sorely lacking since RE 1-3, even with the dated graphics the game holds up pretty well.

Is there a way to turn on subtitles on the PSX version? The voices are really low during the cutscenes.

Jawmuncher

Awesome OT.

Strangely enough I just started playing DC1 on PSX last week, I wasn't aware that the anniversary was coming up, but hey, more reason to enjoy the game. I'm digging the true survival horror feel, they nailed the creepy, claustrophobic vibe that we've been sorely lacking since RE 1-3, even with the dated graphics the game holds up pretty well.

Is there a way to turn on subtitles on the PSX version? The voices are really low during the cutscenes.

Sadly there's no subtitle track or option to raise the volume of the voices.

Xater

Totally a series that should be rebooted. Dinosaurs are sadly very underrepresented in video games today.

Caode

Dino Crisis 2 - One of the greatest Christmas presents I ever received. It's one of my all time favourite games.

Grief.exe

I didn't realize all these games were on PC.

What the hell Capcom? Put a few guys on the case and get these fixed up for a digital release. Have some compassion for Jaw.

Top Bottom