• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most recent list of Nintendo's subsidiaries (June 30, 2014)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
This is in connection with Nintendo's 74rd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders, which was held Friday, June 27.

A securities report posted on June 30, 2014 mentions 29 consolidated subsidiaries (and 6 affiliated companies) though the list only features 22, just like last year. Not much new this year in terms of changes in actual subsidiaries apart from the lack of Fukuei Co., Ltd. (福栄㈱) and a new mention of PUX Co., Ltd. Also, iQue got some increased capital, but only by very little.

Besides from a list of subsidiaries, the document contains much information on corporate governance. I haven't had the time to read it all, but there's some information about QOL in there (two new quotes/taglines I believe) as well as some details on risks for the near future.

Subsidiaries

Name: Nintendo of America Inc
Region: United States of America
Capital (in thousands): $110,000
Corporate role: Sales/marketing
Ownership percentage: 100

Name: Nintendo of Canada Ltd.
Region: Canada
Capital (in thousands): C$4,000

Name: Nintendo of Europe GmbH
Region: Germany
Capital (in thousands): €30,000

Name: Nintendo France S.A.R.L.
Region: France
Capital (in thousands): €10,000

Name: Nintendo Benelux B.V
Region: Netherlands
Capital (in thousands): €6,800

Name: Nintendo Iberica, S.A.
Region: Spain
Capital (in thousands): €3,000

Name: Nintendo RU LLC.
Region: Russia
Capital (in millions): RUB104

Name: Nintendo Australia Pty. Ltd.
Region: Australia
Capital (in thousands): AUD8,500

Name: Nintendo Taiwan Co. Ltd.
Region: Taiwan
Capital (in thousands): NT$5,000

Name: Nintendo of Korea Co. Ltd.
Region: South Korea
Capital (in thousands): ₩25,000

Name: iQue, Ltd
Region: China
Capital (in thousands): $28,000 (was $26,000 in 2013)

Name: Nintendo Technology Development Inc.
Capital: The list states 1 US$, I assume they mean a million US$
Corporate role: Development

Name: Nintendo Software Technology Corporation
Capital (in thousands): $20

Name: SiRAS.com Inc
Capital (in thousands): $900
Corporate role: Other (product return solutions, retail fraud etc.)

Name: Retro Studios, Inc.
Capital (in thousands): $10,001

Name: Nintendo (Hong Kong) Co., Ltd.
Region: Hong Kong
Capital (in thousands): HK$49,300
Corporate role: Sale/marketing

Name: Nintendo European Research and Development SAS
Region: France
Capital (in thousands): €300
Ownership percentage: 97

Name: Nd Cube Company, Ltd.
Region: Japan (Tokyo)
Capital: ¥483000000
Ownership percentage: 96

Name: 1-UP Studio Co., Ltd.
Capital (in millions): ¥90

Name: Monolith Software, Ltd. (was Inc.)
Capital (in millions): ¥75
Ownership percentage: 97

Name: Nintendo Network Service Database Inc.
Capital (in millions): ¥480
Corporate role: Other (network services)

Name: Mario Club Co., Ltd.
Region: Kyoto
Capital (in millions): ¥450
Corporate role: Development (debugging)
In addition to the above, there are five consolidated subsidiaries. That's only 27 subsidiaries though, and Nintendo states 29. There's of course that $150 million company that's not Japanese and not gaming related they aquired a while ago, but then what's the remaining subsidiary?

Affiliated companies

Name: Pokemon Co., Ltd.
Region: Tokyo
Capital (in millions): ¥365
Corporate role: Sales of Pokémon
Ownership percentage: 32

Name: Warp Star Co., Ltd.
Capital (in millions): ¥10
Corporate role: Animation, IP/rights management
Ownership percentage: 50

Name: PUX Co., Ltd.
Region: Osaka
Capital (in millions): ¥45
Corporate role: Development of audio and video processing software
Ownership percentage: 27 (new for this year, was not included in last year's list)
In addition to the above, there are two companies accounted for by the equity method affiliate. However, that's only five and Nintendo states there are 6 affiliaties companies; which the sixth one is I don't know.

L~A

Name: Nintendo Network Service Database Inc.
Capital (in millions): ¥480
Corporate role: Other (network services)

Interesting, missed that. Didn't know they had their own company for that.

Tenki

How is The Pokémon Company capital just $3.6M?

Xav

Name: Retro Studios, Inc.
Capital (in thousands): $10,001

VF6NOhe.gif

Tadaima

How is The Pokémon Company capital just $3.6M?

It's the founding capital (money invested into the company) as stated on the company toki (government record of the company) – not the valuation of the company.

Shiggy

In addition to the above, there are two companies accounted for by the equity method affiliate. However, that's only five and Nintendo states there are 6 affiliaties companies; which the sixth one is I don't know.

Is one of those still Silicon Knights?

Clov

Pux's purpose is stated to be "Development of audio and video processing software", but isn't that the reason they bought MobiClip (now NERD)? Seems a bit redundant, can someone clear this up?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
No word yet, but my guess is Amiibo-related (do Nintendo have the necessary tech etc. in-house for figure design/manufacture, for example?) or to do with QoL.

They actually have a decently sized hardware engineering team that was split up into three departments. (console, handheld, weirdo accessories). They were all combined in January, and all situated in the Kyoto Development Complex Building that opened up earlier this month.

They have large Chinese and Japanese Hardware companies they work with on hardware as well.

MilesTeg

Banned
Did Nintendo always own siras.com? Seems to be some kind of cloud based company?

edit

Seems like this isn't anything new.

Pux's purpose is stated to be "Development of audio and video processing software", but isn't that the reason they bought MobiClip (now NERD)? Seems a bit redundant, can someone clear this up?

I think wsippel has speculated that NERD may be working on engine development and cloud research/development now. Also, Pux may have capabilities or tech that NERD/Nintendo didn't, so...

They actually have a decently sized hardware engineering team that was split up into three departments. (console, handheld, weirdo accessories). They were all combined in January, and all situated in the Kyoto Development Complex Building that opened up earlier this month.

They have large Chinese and Japanese Hardware companies they work with on hardware as well.

Ah. Just wondering if snapping up a company with experience in figure design and the in-house capabilities might have been a shortcut for them, but perhaps not if they have a lot of this already on hand.

No word yet, but my guess is Amiibo-related (do Nintendo have the necessary tech etc. in-house for figure design/manufacture, for example?) or to do with QoL.

Ahh right, thanks. It'll be interesting to see what it is.

Doesn't NERD do cloud stuff as well? Maybe they wanted some to focus purely on audio and video?

LOCK

So still one mystery company. Unless they entered a partnership with someone to produce amiibos, it could be for that, but something makes me doubt that.

Clov

I think wsippel has speculated that NERD may be working on engine development and cloud research/development now. Also, Pux may have capabilities or tech that NERD/Nintendo didn't, so...

Ah, makes sense. Pretty interesting if NERD's really working on stuff like that, though!

mrhej

Wait Nintendo doesn't own the majority of the Pokemon company? Couldn't someone like Sony basically buy Pokemon away from them?

Wait Nintendo doesn't own the majority of the Pokemon company? Couldn't someone like Sony basically buy Pokemon away from them?

No, because the two other owners Game Freak and Creatures are also partly owned by Nintendo. Nintendo owns about 54% of Game Freak and most of Creatures IIRC.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I wrote "development of audio and video processing software" myself as that is the company's primarily line of business. Though the report states the following:

ソフトウェ
アエンジン
の開発及び
ライセンス
事業

Software engine and business and licensing development. Exactly what this means I don't know, it could be simply fancy way of writing the relevant software the company is developing.

Daedardus

No, because the two other owners Game Freak and Creatures are also partly owned by Nintendo. Nintendo owns about 54% of Game Freak and most of Creatures IIRC.

Gamefreak normally is completely independent. It's the perfect example of 'second party development'.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Is it normal that Nintendo UK and Nintendo Italy are absent from the list?
I'm pretty sure they have their own divisions.
None of them were on the list last year, so I'd say it's normal they are absent.

Daedardus

They may operate independently but they're still tied to Nintendo unless they buy their stock back.

Do you have any source for Nintendo having a stake in Gamefreak? Normally, they would be listed in this thread if that were true. I can only find a vague 53% on Wikipedia with no actual source whatsoever.

Eolz

Interesting list, thanks.
I'm surprised no shareholders or analysts asked Nintendo about this mystery acquisition since the announcement. Didn't Iwata said we'll know about it later though?

Do you have any source for Nintendo having a stake in Gamefreak? Normally, they would be listed in this thread if that were true. I can only find a vague 53% on Wikipedia with no actual source whatsoever.

Can't remember where I read it but it wouldn't be surprising at all considering how big Pokemon is.

Ryce

Hopefully more people will realize that Nintendo doesn't own HAL Laboratory or Intelligent Systems.

Silicon walked from Nintendo in the gamecube era, I thought? Nintendo had a share but not majority?

Silicon Knights split from them as we went into the 360/PS3/Wii gen. I'm sure there are quotes out there, but the gist of it was the SK felt that that Nintendo were heading in a different direction from where they wanted to go, in terms of tech and game design. I think the situation with Factor 5 was similar.

It all came as part of a wider split with Western studios which seemed to be at least part financial/tactical, and part ideological. It's hard not to feel that both sides - Nintendo and F5/SK/etc. - would have been better off together, but that's with the benefit of years of hindsight, and in SK's particular case, given the way upper management seems to have carried on business, I suspect Nintendo were probably well rid.

JB2448

Hopefully more people will realize that Nintendo doesn't own HAL Laboratory or Intelligent Systems.

Or Creatures Inc. and GAME FREAK inc., for that matter.
Nintendo also had shares in Hudson no?

At least they have them as ND Cube, JUST MAKE A NON-PARTY GAME ALREADY! :(
I wish Nintendo were somehow able to get ND Cube to develop a Bomberman game. Does Konami even realize it owns the IP?

Name: Nintendo Iberica, S.A.
Region: Spain
Capital (in thousands): €3,000

Lol, getting the ugly part of the european stick I see.

Or Creatures Inc. and GAME FREAK inc., for that matter.
And have this type of people endlessly ask and make threads when can this studios work with sony and microsoft? I prefer they still think they are owned even if its a lie lol

Top Bottom