• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Officially Enters VR Market: Gear VR

Soi-Fong

Source: http://www.sammobile.com/2014/07/08...et-will-be-called-gear-vr-launch-at-ifa-2014/

"A month ago, Engadget exclusively reported on Samsung’s upcoming VR device, which is being developed in collaboration with Facebook’s Oculus Rift. Today, we can confirm that Samsung is indeed working on a virtual reality device, and it’s called the “Gear VR”. Samsung will be announcing the device, alongside the Galaxy Note 4, at IFA 2014.

Instead of making a completely standalone virtual reality headset, Samsung has developed a modular design, which allows the user to dock in a Galaxy device into the Gear VR using USB 3.0. Virtual really effect is achieved through head tracking, and instead of equipping the headset with sensors, Gear VR makes use of the smartphone’s accelerometer, gyroscope and processing power to track head motion. Also, as Samsung’s flagship devices use AMOLED display technology, we can surely say that users will have an excellent, flawless and immersive virtual reality experience.
In theory, this design should allow Samsung to massively cut down manufacturing costs and introduce the headset at a low cost. However, it’s Samsung, and Samsung usually doesn’t like to equip its first product in a new product category with an inexpensive price tag. You might say that this is exactly like Google’s Cardboard VR headset, which was handed out to I/O 14 attendees, and you would be right! The main concept behind Gear VR is the same. However, the Gear VR is much more comfortable to wear, thanks to the elastic head band and soft padded cushions on each side of the device, and Samsung’s implementation is also much better than that of Google’s Cardboard.

On the right side of the Gear VR, there is a see-through button, which uses the smartphone’s rear-facing camera sensor to supply the user with a video feed of the real outside world – this way the user won’t need to remove and wear the headset again and again, which will make the overall experience of wearing the headset easier than alternatives from Oculus or Sony. There is also a touchpad located directly under the see-through button, which will allow users to navigate through the user interface on the Galaxy smartphone.

The hardware of the device is being developed by Samsung alone, but the software is being developed in cooperation with Oculus VR, makers of the Oculus Rift VR headset for gaming. Samsung will be dedicating an entire section of Samsung Apps for Gear VR, just like it did with its Gear smartwatches. Initially, apps like Theatre, 360 Player, and Gallery will be made available, and Samsung will also be making the Gear VR’s SDK available to developers shortly after the announcement."

vr_manager_setup.png

vrmanager_stub_022.png

Close if Old.

VR is going to be huge! I still can't believe Microsoft hasn't shown any VR plans. With all they spent on Kinect, they could have been the pioneers for VR.

nynt9

VR is going to be huge! I still can't believe Microsoft hasn't shown any VR plans. With all they spent on Kinect, they could have been the pioneers for VR.

The latency and noise of Kinect isn't conducive to good VR if you're using Kinect to track the user's head - you'll experience a lot of stuttering which will be extremely disorienting - source: tried it

Very excited to see what Samsung does with VR. lol @ those who kept claiming VR was a gimmick that will die.

DieH@rd

Banned
They have best chance of bringing VR to mobile. They will prepare display and sensors to be optimized for VR, something that google sorely lack.

jmoe316

How do you get the 3D effect if it's just a Note 4 screen? Does the device create a border and cut the screen into two and show an image on each of the left and right half of the screen?

Zabant

I hope and prey that shoddy "me too" attempts by the usual suspects doesn't sour the general public on VR.

Kayant

Sam mobile isn't official still a rumor... Having said that more details is good to know. Seems like all the big players are getting ready for VR.

Iacobellis

The latency and noise of Kinect isn't conducive to good VR if you're using Kinect to track the user's head - you'll experience a lot of stuttering which will be extremely disorienting - source: tried it

Very excited to see what Samsung does with VR. lol @ those who kept claiming VR was a gimmick that will die.

I think he meant that he's surprised that Microsoft didn't do VR separately so soon. The only thing they have seemed to pioneer in recent years is the 'flat, minimalistic' UI design Apple and Google are moving towards.

Krejlooc

Banned
How do you get the 3D effect if it's just a Note 4 screen? Does the device create a border and cut the screen into two and show an image on each of the left and right half of the screen?

Thats how all VR works.

I hope and prey that shoddy "me too" attempts by the usual suspects doesn't sour the general public on VR.

This isn't a shoddy attempt. These are the same screens that'll be used in the Oculus Rift. It's a symbiotic partnership - Samsung provides Oculus their screens, and Oculus shares their tech with Samsung.

This is legitimate VR. It's a great thing for the industry. Samsung is now pretty much officially the fourth major player in VR, joining Valve, Sony, and Facebook.

DieH@rd

Banned

Yes. That's how every modern post-PalmerLucky VR device works. One screen, dual image rendering, anti-fisheye image warping filter, and very simple set of lenses. Movement of the user's head is captured by both very fast internal sensors and external camera [which will not be present in Sammy design]. Neat, cheap and highly effective design that is fully fueled by mobile phone technology.

Screen1_Greeblesm.jpg

thuway

This is fantastic news. The more companies that enter VR, the more innovation and cost reduction will happen. It's great to see the Industry back such an ambitious and cool idea.

Krejlooc

Banned
Incidentally, my birthday is September 7th and I'm up for an upgrade on my Note 2. I will be buying a Note 4 and the GearVR the day they are available for sure.

Krejlooc

Banned
They have best chance of bringing VR to mobile. They will prepare display and sensors to be optimized for VR, something that google sorely lack.

Google lacks it... right now. Google cardboard is part of a much larger project. Eventually, they're going to launch something similar to this.

This, essentially, is the birth of Mobile VR.

Yoda

It's not like they can't hop on board later. VR won't be the "big-thing" this gen because the earliest we are going to see a consumer unit will be late 2015 and that is assuming no delays. Early units will be pricey, content will be limited, and won't get much market penetration. Whenever or whatever the next generation of gaming is will see VR in all its glory if people accept it. Microsoft could easily jump in than and not be too far behind.

DieH@rd

Banned
Google lacks it... right now. Google cardboard is part of a much larger project. Eventually, they're going to launch something similar to this.

This, essentially, is the birth of Mobile VR.

According to Google, its not. It was created by few Google developers in their spare time.

Did you try it using V1 or V2?

Zabant

Thats how all VR works.

This isn't a shoddy attempt. These are the same screens that'll be used in the Oculus Rift. It's a symbiotic partnership - Samsung provides Oculus their screens, and Oculus shares their tech with Samsung.

This is legitimate VR. It's a great thing for the industry. Samsung is now pretty much officially the fourth major player in VR, joining Valve, Sony, and Facebook.

That's reassuring. Now I simply hope the oversaturation/too many choices effect does not put people off.

Samsung is the only company right now that can produce good screens for VR. OLED is the way to go. Oculus has the idea, Facebook has the money and Samsung has the tech. It's perfect.

atr0cious

Do the Note's get treated like the Galaxy line? I really want this, but I don't want to have to root if the software gets behind.

phanphare

Banned

it's not even alive yet...

Man

Well. Oculus can't claim on anyone else poisoning the VR pool when they're aiding with this.

No precise external tracking, no low-persistence, subpar performance etc.

Krejlooc

Banned
According to Google, its not. It was created by few Google developers in their spare time.

No, according to google it is. The cardboard project was birthed by the 20% rule. But it's just a tiny portion of their larger VR project that includes:

-Chrome VR: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/vr-support-coming-to-google-chrome/0135014
-Google VR SDK: http://blog.tojicode.com/2014/07/bringing-vr-to-chrome.html?m=1
-Project Tango: http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/26/5...g-project-tango-tablet-is-coming-to-consumers

Further, and more direct: http://www.roadtovr.com/google-cardboard-virtual-reality-6000-kits-50000-app-downloads-first-week/

“This is just a placeholder,” Plagemann said at the Cardboard session at I/O 2014, “…this is a piece of cardboard.” “How can we accelerate this even more so that not just tech addicts can experience VR, but anybody with a smartphone?” Coz recalled thinking when the project started; Cardboard was the answer.

Cardboard is intended to give developers immediate access to their VR SDK as part of their larger VR project.

Krejlooc

Banned
Well. Oculus can't claim on anyone else poisoning the VR pool when they're aiding with this.

No precise external tracking, no low-persistence, subpar performance etc.

Samsung is providing the low-persistence screens to Oculus. This will assuredly only work with Samsung VR phones, and those will be functionally identical to the screens Oculus uses in the rift.

nowhere does it even begin to indicate no low persistence.

What makes VR so special? It seems like more of a gimmick than motion controls but it still hasn't died off yet.

You won't understand until you try it.

it's not even alive yet...

Amazing how I have this unborn piece of technology sitting right next to me.

Seanspeed

Banned
Looks nice and light.

I like it.

'See through' button is likely to be common to many VR devices I bet.

What makes VR so special? It seems like more of a gimmick than motion controls but it still hasn't died off yet.
There it is. Was wondering how we'd gone 25 posts in a VR thread without this response.

test_account

XP-39C²
VR gives the feeling of being "in the game". Kinda hard to describe exactly how it feels if you havnt tried it yourself. If one think that is special or not, or if one like that or not, that is completely subjective of course.

Thats how all VR works.

Just because the screen is manufactured by the same company does not mean the final product will be nearly as good. After Samsung's venture into the smartwatch market, this announcement is rather concerning.

Krejlooc

Banned
Just because the screen is manufactured by the same company does not mean the final product will be nearly as good. After Samsung's venture into the smartwatch market, this announcement is rather concerning.

The screen technology is the single most important bit of VR technology. Everything revolves around the screen. It's not like the rift uses particularly advanced IMUs at this stage anyways.

I'd rather play games on a conventional screen, I don't plan on ever trying it. Not being able to see anything else around you sounds awful, I don't need to be that close to a game.

Cool.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't plan on ever trying it. Not being able to see anything else around you sounds awful, I don't need to be that close to a game.
Gotta say - I didn't think it was necessary, but these companies are going to have to educate people on what VR is because there's obviously a fair amount of ignorance about it.

Vlade

If that is VR living, then it is already dead

edit:

Gotta say - I didn't think it was necessary, but these companies are going to have to educate people on what VR is because there's obviously a fair amount of ignorance about it.

You didn't think a company would need to educate consumers on what it's new tech is?

Krejlooc

Banned

They just have to get people to try it. That's all it really takes. Create a killer application for it and demo it in malls. I had a huge crowd at SeaTac when I demoed mine until TSA made us disperse.

Krejlooc

Banned
If that is VR living, then it is already dead

Uh, it's developer technology right now. And it's the hottest dev tech around. It's setting the development sphere on fire.

Few products create this buzz in the development sphere before their release. That general users even know about this stuff in the first place is testament to its reach and viability.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I have half a dozen pieces of unborn technology sitting right next to me. The fact somebody produced some tech does not automatically make the latter commercially viable.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'd rather play games on a conventional screen, I don't plan on ever trying it. Not being able to see anything else around you sounds awful, I don't need to be that close to a game.

No imagination... stubbornly rigid... You must be a lot of fun.

Krejlooc

Banned
I have half a dozen pieces of unborn technology sitting right next to me. The fact somebody produced some tech does not automatically make the latter commercially viable.

I'm willing to bet the dozens of unborn technologies sitting next to you never had the support VR has behind it right now.

The point of my comment wasn't "it's here!" it was to downplay the guy's comment that implied this is some unknown piece of technology.

Soi-Fong

They just have to get people to try it. That's all it really takes. Create a killer application for it and demo it in malls. I had a huge crowd at SeaTac when I demoed mine until TSA made us disperse.

What? We're you guys demoing it inside the terminal? Lol

Krejlooc

Banned
What's wrong with appreciating and prefering the existing technology?

Whats wrong is that you posted it in a topic about new technology.

What? We're you guys demoing it inside the terminal? Lol

When I arrived in seattle for Steam Dev Days, I had to kill 4 hours until my buddy could come and scoop me up. So I hit up one of their bars and started dicking around on my laptop. Eventually people noticed and started talking to me about the headset. Then a small crowd gathered. Then it started growing, haha.

Gathering large crowds of people in an airport is apparently a no-no.

Vlade

Uh, it's developer technology right now. And it's the hottest dev tech around. It's setting the development sphere on fire.

Few products create this buzz in the development sphere before their release. That general users even know about this stuff in the first place is testament to its reach and viability.

And I hope they bring it to life; they've got quite a lot left to do tho.

Whats wrong is that you posted it in a topic about new technology.

That's because I was hoping it'd make for more discussion. The fact that to me it looks like a massive gimmick, but it hasn't gone under yet, means it has to be doing something right, but I have no idea what that is since apparently it can't be explained but I have no reason to try it otherwise.

Top Bottom