• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House: Bring back Crash Bandicoot? I definitely wouldn't close the door on that

Redesign with tribal tattoos if old:

In a recent interview with UK's Daily Telegraph, when asked if, when looking at Nintendo's reuse of characters, if we'd ever see a Crash Bandicoot or Spyro the Dragon revival anytime soon:

"This is very dangerous ground," Mr House laughs. "In concept, it is something we've been thinking about and discussing, and this is a shift for us. We've started to say that maybe there isn't anything wrong with going back and looking at characters that people still talk about, that were a big part of either their childhood or their youth. I definitely wouldn't close the door on that."

Unfortunately its a mixed bag of news as Naughty Dog are currently hosting a fan art contest at the moment and entries for Crash are not allowed - they asked Activision and its not something they can allow.

To me it sounds as if they have changed their philosophy on bringing back old ideas - but not necessarily the ones in discussion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...efinitely-wouldnt-close-the-door-on-that.html

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/07/08/naughty-dog-30th-anniversary-fan-art-design-contest/

BY2K

Membero Americo
Sony needs to stop with this: "Oh, we could totally revive *insert franchise here*!"

Seriously. Stop it.

Percy

Banned
Sounds like a cheap platitude straight from the Phil Spencer playbook to me.

They'll never waste money bringing back something they don't even own like Crash Bandicoot.

Please don't disappoint.

please

tumblr_m6jeq1JadU1rr3ggp.gif

Who would even make CB at Sony? Id rather Activision keep it and make a new game. They hinted its in development, and they changed crashes design back after the Sierra fiasco, which actually had its own fans oddly.

Well, they didn't exactly say it like that, but the mentions of Vib Ribbon at E3 and Shenmue a few months ago mixed with now this is just annoying at this point.

But like you said, this and those are two very different things. All they did with Vib Ribbon at E3 was mention it. And as others have mentioned in the past, that seemed more or less a way for them to inform people of just how long Shawn has been with the company while also showing him that he's work on a beloved and niche game.

Rembrandt

Banned
Were the last Crash games any good? Seems like a lot of effort to bring back something that has a good chance of bombing again, but so is Shenmue and everybody wants a new one.

GladiatoR

Banned
You don't do a cocktease like that and end up not delivering, even if it ends up happening in 5 years.

You hear me. You don't fucking do that, House. You just don't.

Who would even make CB at Sony? Id rather Activision keep it and make a new game. They hinted its in development, and they changed crashes design back after the Sierra fiasco, which actually had its own fans oddly.

Mark Cerny.

And bring back one of the original creators Andy Gavin as a consultant or something. He often talks about Crash very warmly on his blog and if memory serves me right even hinted at how he would handle a renewal somewhere.

Andy, plz

Sony people, even if asked directly, need to take a "no comment" or "we can't discuss that" route with questions about Crash and Spyro until there's something concrete.

In a perfect world:

Due to Sony's new partnership with Activision over Destiny, they get a bit "pally" and allow Sony to have the Crash IP, at a price of course

Sony then hand this to Sony Bend or one of the internal studios and create a new crash bandicoot, along with HD remasters (to the level of Windwaker HD) of 1,2 and 3. And have it bundled together.

Omg I would buy another Ps4 just for that.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
If Activision didn't allow fan art for the 30th anniversary of Naughty Dog, what makes anyone think that they'll allow a full blown game? Let alone sell the IP, heck, they might not do anything with it, but they'll probably want some good money for it.

Camjo-Z

"We've started to say that maybe there isn't anything wrong with going back and looking at characters that people still talk about, that were a big part of either their childhood or their youth."

Hopefully this applies to more than just Crash. New IPs are great, but Sony has so many awesome series that they leave to die after one or two entries.

I'm guessing he's thinking more of shit like Parappa when he talks about reviving old IP, fwiw. That game was rumoured a while back.

Were the last Crash games any good? Seems like a lot of effort to bring back something that has a good chance of bombing again, but so is Shenmue and everybody wants a new one.

Crash 3 was great, and it sold over 5 million copies worldwide, so yeah. It'd totally bomb!!!

Well, they didn't exactly say it like that, but the mentions of Vib Ribbon at E3 and Shenmue a few months ago mixed with now this is just annoying at this point.
Does anyone in their right mind even think that Sony would be the ones to bring back Shemue? Y'all gotta be on something.

-MD-

Jumping Flash and Parappa too?

We're all going to die without seeing any of these games

EGOMON

Sony owe it to Crash to bringing him back to PS, i am sure millions of gamers became loyal PS fans because of that dog including me.

You don't do a cocktease like that

You hear me. You don't fucking do that, House. You just don't.

Sony: Just the tip.

If Activision didn't allow fan art for the 30th anniversary of Naughty Dog, what makes anyone think that they'll allow a full blown game? Let alone sell the IP, heck, they might not do anything with it, but they'll probably want some good money for it.

I'm hoping it's a masterfully elaborate troll, meant to break us down, only to build us back up later-on. I'm starting to feel like a mentally abused girlfriend.

SykoTech

A new Crash or Spyro by Sony would be a Day 1 insta-buy for me.

Not going to get my hopes up though. Sounds like an answer he gave the interviewer so he doesn't come off as dismissive.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It looks less likely there was ever anything planned every time a story like this hits, but the fact remains:

This could only mean Crash to Sony. Why would they torture us with this?

Because it their marketing gimmick to get you hyped up in buying a PS4 without actually saying anything or promising anything.

Top Bottom