• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When can we expect a new Ys game/remake?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Memories of Celceta was released almost 2 years ago in Japan. Is it safe to say that a new Ys should be upon us soon? While an Ys 8 would be awesome, I would also take a remake of Ys V in a heartbeat. Has Falcom teased anything lately?

Zhao_Yun

They teased an upcoming "huge" title half a year ago. Maybe they'll announce something around TGS.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/19/ys-legend-heroes-makers-falcom-tease-new-mystery-project/

00812.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I expect a new game to come before a Ys V remake, but who knows.

I'm sure Sen no Kiseki II is their main priority right now, maybe after that we'll see the next Ys game (big maybe). Fortunately the series is still doing well enough it hasn't become a kiseki-casuality like their other ones. Wonder if a part of that is due to recent western sales?

Ahegao

Banned
Probably next year. The main purpose of Ys is to function as a buffer in the Kiseki off-years to buy planning/development time for the next Kiseki arc.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Probably next year. The main purpose of Ys is to function as a buffer in the Kiseki off-years to buy planning/development time for the next Kiseki arc.

Didn't know Kiseki was bigger than Ys for Falcom.

Aeana

The PS4 game is most likely not Ys. In an interview with the president of Falcom a couple of months ago, they were talking about it being part of a franchise that hasn't been seen in a while. I'm betting on Xanadu, personally.

EDIT: Here's the relevant bits thanks to Endless History

Baha: At the end of last year, Falcom announced a mystery project. Do you have any new information on it that you can reveal?
Kondo: It almost slipped my tongue a few times. (laugh) At the moment, I’m not able to reveal any concrete information, but I can still tease the game a little bit. During the interview, I mentioned the name of the game. Although it is part of a very old and famous series, we will bring new innovations to it. That’s all I can say for now. (smile) You can still find clues in these two pictures.

The way it's phrased in the original Chinese text really makes it seem like it's something that hasn't been seen in a while.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Look, honestly, it's probably better just not to post if you don't have any idea what you're talking about.
Sorry, lame joke. I was just being snarky/bitter about the fact that console sales are plummeting terribly in Japan, whilst the mobile market seems to be thriving more than ever. If that is untrue or inaccurate, I would love to see it because that's really the impression I got. Obviously it's not true about every developer, which is why I wasn't being entirely serious.

(And yes I'm still bitter about that BoF6 thing... >_<)

Given the current cycle of Falcom games, I'm betting Sen II will be the last proper Kiseki game till 2016, leaving next year's schedule open.

Either that new Falcom project, or the Ys game they teased at the talk show a few months ago when they revealed Sen II's name.

Cornbread78

Xanadu huh? I would love to see what they could really do on PS4 if they spent the money into the higher dev costs of next gen hardware..

Aeana

I personally think it's a whole new Dragon Slayer, rather than any of the offshoots like Xanadu.

I'd totally be down with that.

"Dragon Slayer" doesn't mean anything as a franchise except that Yoshio Kiya worked on it (that was literally the point of the Dragon Slayer series -- to label the games that Kiya conceived).

RyoonZ

Banned
TGS
Ys 8 PS4
Believe!

The PS4 game is most likely not Ys. In an interview with the president of Falcom a couple of months ago, they were talking about it being part of a franchise that hasn't been seen in a while. I'm betting on Xanadu, personally.

The way it's phrased in the original Chinese text really makes it seem like it's something that hasn't been seen in a while.

He only mentioned 3 games in the whole interview which are Kiseki, Zwei and Ys. So it'll be either Ys or Zwei, I'm betting on Ys.

Aeana

TGS
Ys 8 PS4
Believe!

He only mentioned 3 games in the whole interview which are Kiseki, Zwei and Ys. So it'll be either Ys or Zwei, I'm betting on Ys.
I think the part where he talks about mentioning the name in "the interview" is fairly vague. It isn't clear exactly what he's talking about. We'll see.

I'd personally love it if Falcom quit being the Kiseki Company with the occasional Ys release. They used to be so much more.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes, and it's rude to the people who want to actually talk about the subject of the thread without having to wade through dumb "jokes" that don't make any sense. So: don't do it?
I really didn't mean to be rude at all. I apologize.

I think I may get into this series after all. Almost done with Oath in Felghana and it's been a really fun ride. Next will be Origin. I would certainly like to see more of that kind of game (but no bump combat please!). Was the Vita game more like Felghana/Origin, or more like the older games?

I think I may get into this series after all. Almost done with Oath in Felghana and it's been a really fun ride. Next will be Origin. I would certainly like to see more of that kind of game (but no bump combat please!). Was the Vita game more like Felghana/Origin, or more like the older games?

Felghana, Origin, and Napishtim are all built on the same engine and basic mechanics. They revamp it again for Ys 7, and that's what Celceta is based off of -- minus jumping, plus a multi-character system.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks. Hmm, now, to get a Vita or not... >_>

Is there any chance a new Ys game would be on new gen consoles at all? Oh, how awesome that would be.

Fularu

Banned

Sorcerian hasn't been seen either in a while. Same with zwei, but then again, it's hardly a series.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Oh. I hadn't heard about that yet. The image looked so much like Ys that I was sure this was about Ys.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Clearly Falcom, being huge fans of Hudson's (Fa)Xanadu want to remake it with modern graphics and gameplay.

I really really really like Faxanadu

I'd personally love it if Falcom quit being the Kiseki Company with the occasional Ys release. They used to be so much more.
Xanadu Next, Dinosaur Resurrection, Gurumin, Zwei II.. and all alternating between the three best Ys games.

That was Falcom's golden age. ;___;

I'm hoping for a Ys 5 remake and that it gets localized. I just got my first Ys game and wouldn't mind a bit more time to play the rest of them...

Sentenza

I more or less liked any Falcom game I played so far (several Ys, Xanadu Next, the first Legend of Heroes) so I'm always interested in what they are going to do next.

Anyway, did they ever mentioned if they are considering going back to PC development? Maybe even just making other companies manage the ports.
For what I heard their first attempts on Steam are being fairly successful, even if not exactly groundbreaking, which I guess it's a honest result for games that were already several years old when published.

From a Eurogamer interview back in February:

Falcom was successful with the PSP, and have now moved to the PS Vita despite its lesser market position. Do you think you will stick with handheld console development, or have you considered producing games for a home console?

Falcom: We're seeing a consistent increase in the number of PS Vita users, so it's most likely that we'll continue to develop games for it. There are also many PS3 users still, and we're extremely interested to see what the future of PS4 holds once it's released in Japan, so we will be evaluating our direction very carefully.

So at this point, which system do you think would make more sense to target for the next Ys installment? I know Vita is pretty dead in the west, and isn't PS4 having trouble taking off in Japan?

If love to see what they could do with the Celceta engine running at native res, but I guess we'll see what happens.

I'd love even a (western) pc port of 7/celceta

A legit new PS4 game would be amazing

I'd love PC ports as well. I'm currently gearing up for an epic (for me, at least) attempt to clear my Ys backlog that's going to span 3 platforms, assuming that my PSP still works. Having everything in one location would be a awesome in the future.

Snakeyes

So at this point, which system do you think would make more sense to target for the next Ys installment? I know Vita is pretty dead in the west, and isn't PS4 having trouble taking off in Japan?

Vita still, IMO. Falcom games already have a following on there in Japan and they know their niche, but dedicated western fanbase will pick up the system when the software comes (if they haven't already).

They will probably stick with Vita. The PS4 is a wholly Western-focused console and their Vita Ys game was somehow almost worse looking than its PSP predecessor, so they clearly would not utilize the extra power if they had it.

Top Bottom