• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Britain will not actively prosecute online piracy

The British government has decriminalised online video game, music and movie piracy, scrapping fuller punishment plans after branding them unworkable.

Starting in 2015, persistent file-sharers will be sent four warning letters explaining their actions are illegal, but if the notes are ignored no further action will be taken.

Officials will still work to close and stem funding to file-sharing sites, but the news appears to mean that the British authorities have abandoned legal enforcement of online media piracy

http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/22/britain-just-decriminalised-online-game-piracy/

Piracy is bad and this wont help, but I dont see there ever being an end to piracy

Starting in 2015, persistent file-sharers will be sent four warning letters explaining their actions are illegal, but if the notes are ignored no further action will be taken.

Why even bother sending the letters then?

Why even bother sending the letters then?

From the article
Geoff Taylor, chief executive of music trade body the BPI, said VCAP was about “persuading the persuadable, such as parents who do not know what is going on with their net connection.”

He added: “VCAP is not about denying access to the internet. It’s about changing attitudes and raising awareness so people can make the right choice.”

This is an amazing development imo and absolutely the right way to deal with piracy.

JoeInky

It begins.

I imagine sites like pirate bay will still be blocked by most ISPs in britain though (but that's why proxies exist if you ever wanted to use it).

Hmm... as much as I'm happy that this seems like a step backwards from the government's previously heavy handed approach, I'm not particularly pleased that they seem to be going to completely the other end and doing pretty much nothing. There's a halfway point between treating software/music pirates with a heavy hand, and doing next to nothing to tackle the issue, and it would be nice if the UK government could find that halfway point.

Dire

I make a living with online software and fully support this.

As Steam has made very clear, coercion is not an effective means of combating piracy - friendly pricing and consumer engagement is.

If people actually understood what piracy vs paying does, I think we'd have at least a decent chunk of those who would normally pirate software choose to purchase it instead. After all - presumably it's software you actually want.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good. Now maybe the movie studios will get their heads out of their asses and eventually let us buy movies digitally with no DRM. I'd potentially switch from disc to digital if the files were portable, but they are locked to the platform you buy them on - eg ios, sony etc. and no, ultraviolet isn't a decent alternative, support for it in Europe is shit

KHlover

Banned
Great for pirates of all kinds (EDIT: obligatory notice: Of course I DON'T support piracy). Will be interesting to see how/if this affects sales of those goods. Maybe we'll see an end of the piracy debate in a few years?

lmao, we won't

Hmm... as much as I'm happy that this seems like a step backwards from the government's previously heavy handed approach, I'm not particularly pleased that they seem to be going to completely the other end and doing pretty much nothing. There's a halfway point between treating software/music pirates with a heavy hand, and doing next to nothing to tackle the issue, and it would be nice if the UK government could find that halfway point.

They're going after the distributors instead and will spend millions on education and raising awareness instead of punishing the people downloading. That's not "nothing".

From BBC
As well as taking part in Vcap, the BPI and other rights holders were working on other fronts to tackle persistent pirates, file-sharing sites and to suppress the economy that supported them, said Mr Taylor.

These initiatives included issuing notices to Google about links to pirated content, action in the courts to shut down websites that offer links to infringing content, and working with advertisers to limit the funds that flow to file-sharing sites.
This seems very unlikely to be true the way VG247 report it.

How about BBC?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28374457

Upinsmoke

Most sites are blocked nowadays here in the uk. The problem is, if you have people that want to download something they will find a way, some might give up, others persist.

Fightning piracy is pointless - give people services where they can get software for fair prices and convinient access to them like Steam - and most of people will grow up out of it as they get more disposable income as they get older and start working.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

That's very nice of them :p

Acheteedo

Maybe HBO will actually make it easier to get Game of Thrones in the UK now.

... nah, they seem to love having their shit pirated.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

As Steam has made very clear, coercion is not an effective means of combating piracy - friendly pricing and consumer engagement is.

If people actually understood what piracy vs paying does, I think we'd have at least a decent chunk of those who would normally pirate software choose to purchase it instead. After all - presumably it's software you actually want.

Absolutely. Make it easy for me to pay, and give me content that I can use wherever I want (don't tie my hands) and I will pay you.

Case in point - US TV shows. Used to be months between US and UK broadcasts (still is for some shows). And sky etc would complain about piracy. Then they did something about it. Now with many high profile US shows,they broadcast only a day or two after the US broadcast date (24 is on a Wednesday for instance). And they even simulcast the LOST finale and 24's opening episodes. And my response is to support sky and watch on their channel, because it is easy

Longsword

You say this like you believe they would have disapeared otherwise.

Oh absolutely not, I just think this will accelerate the process. But yes, it is reality already. So many of the games I play now require constant net connection, and as far as I can see are run on server-side and only simulated on the client-side.

There is a reason why such games tend to be the ones that haul in huge revenue.

HBO seems pretty lackadaisical about piracy. Sky probably just pays them too much money for them to care about how many people can legitimately watch it.

hodgy100

This is great news. it will force corperations to actually provide better services that make content easier to obtain legally than illegally. ala steam /spotify / netflix.

Ahaha, they don't care about the rest of the world and never will. They didn't do shit all in response to it being the most pirated TV show ever in Australia.

Terrified

A Sky Now TV Entertainment package including GOT costs £4.99 a month. You can sign up and be watching in less than 5 minutes with zero contract. That's hardly difficult.

EDIT: Welp. They've only gone and removed it. BRB, removing egg from face.

DiscoJer

Steam isn't the best example, since they have their own DRM - Steamworks. Not everything uses it, and there is offline mode, but more than once I've had my internet down and be unable to run my games because of it.

GOG is a much better example.

Fredrik

From the article

This is an amazing development imo and absolutely the right way to deal with piracy.
I don't see how, going by my own experience from working with younger people most of them seem to lack the moral thinking regarding anything found on internet, everything is free to them, they see nothing wrong with taking it, so simply removing the laws and let them make their own choice and hoping that it will be the right one seems like a naive way of thinking imo.

Manp

yWVexdz.jpg

Steam isn't the best example, since they have their own DRM - Steamworks. Not everything uses it, and there is offline mode, but more than once I've had my internet down and be unable to run my games because of it.

GOG is a much better example.
Steam was offered as an example of not having DRM, but combating pricay through superior service and consumer engagement. Steam is still better in that regard than GOG overall. DRM doesn't have a lot to do with this discussion aynway, since it is useless in preventing piracy.

I don't see how, going by my own experience from working with younger people most of them seem to lack the moral thinking regarding anything found on internet, everything is free to them, they see nothing wrong with taking it, so simply removing the laws and let them make their own choice and hoping that it will be the right one seems like a naive way of thinking imo.
Sure, I know enough people who think this way. Education, awareness and good online services are the only way to change those people's minds. Not harsher punishments.
Yeah, see? Britain hasn't "decriminalised" shit.
If the report is correct, they effectively decriminalized the act of downloading. Of course piracy in general is still illegal. The headline is just misleading, but hey, gaming journalism. If you're taking headlines at face value you're doing it wrong.

So, what's the alternative? Charging them with 10 million dollar fines?

Edit: Actually, has this decriminalized anything? Not quite getting this news story. It feels like it's just about these letters themselves not enforcing any punishment, but whether the punishment remains separately from this action isn't mentioned anywhere.

extralite

I predict that the raise of always online games will continue then.

Companies need to protect their rights somehow. It's the same with f2p actually. That is a legal model based on the reality of piracy.

A part of customers pays, another doesn't. It is unfair to the company and the paying customers. Making it fairer would mean more people pirate and play for free but that puts companies out of business.

So when you can't fight pirate reality, you come up with f2p. Pirates are winning and f2p is the price we are all awarded.

furious

Banned
Steam was offered as an example of not having DRM, but combating pricay through superior service and consumer engagement. Steam is still better in that regard than GOG overall. DRM doesn't have a lot to do with this discussion aynway, since it is useless in preventing piracy.

Sure, I know enough people who think this way. Education, awareness and good online services are the only way to change those people's minds. Not harsher punishments.

Some closed platforms would like to have a word with you: Xbox One, PlayStation 4.

Companies need to protect their rights somehow. It's the same with f2p actually. That is a legal model based on the reality of piracy.

A part of customers pays, another doesn't. It is unfair to the company and the paying customers. Making it fairer would mean more people pirate and play for free but that puts companies out of business.

So when you can't fight pirate reality, you come up with f2p. Pirates are winning and f2p is the price we are all awarded.

You are way over-reaching with the link between the rise of F2P and piracy, especially when many of the most lucrative P2P games are focused on online multiplayer where piracy can easily be controlled. And the rest are mobile games preying on whales.

Some closed platforms would like to have a word with you: Xbox One, PlayStation 4.

Sure, of course. Closed platforms work nicely until they don't. Not sure I would call this DRM though, but I might be wrong. I was primarily talking about the PC digital download space though, where DRM never did anything except pissing of customers.

Shaanyboi

Banned

So they're basically going to become this guy

actuallyfunnydetective.png

"Come ooon, stop downloading stuff."
"No."
"Pleaaaase?"
"No"
"I'll be your friend?"
"No."
"Ohhhh you're mean!"

NotLiquid

"All you gotta do to get people to do what you want them to is to make them think there'll be consequences if they don't" - Hotline Miami

mujun

I think it's a good move. I think you should get fined, say, two times the value of what you pirated and even stiffer penalties for distributing to others.

pronk420

i sort of thought decriminalized meant something wasn't illegal anymore, but then it says 'file-sharers will be sent four warning letters explaining their actions are illegal'.

Top Bottom