• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wooden Sen'SeY | OT | Are we human or are we Goro?

maxcriden

header-178kyf.png

zxRQUCR.png

Publisher: Neko Entertainment
Developer: Upper Byte Studio
Console: Wii U eShop, Steam
Genre: Humorous Japanese Steam Rock Vengeance Platformer
Price: $9.99 (US), £8.00 (UK)
Release Date: 7/24 (NA/UK/EU, Wii U), Dec. 2013 (Steam, Worldwide)
Download Size: 618 MB

as0qMmz.png

Wooden Sen'SeY is an action-platform game, available to download from Nintendo eShop on Wii U, set in a unique Japanese Steam Rock world filled with humor. Follow Goro, a village chief, as he seeks revenge through a series of levels, from picturesque villages and underwater caverns to factories packed with menacing machinery!

I7271LF.png

As your quest for vengeance continues, slice and dice your enemies using axes, or squash them into submission with a well-timed leap! Jump and grapple your way through exotic worlds, dodging obstacles such as fire, collapsing platforms, pits and whirring metal blades!

Enjoy a unique gaming experience inspired by old school game mechanics, with the stylings of modern 3D games, in Wooden Sen'SeY. If you want a real challenge, speed through 30 hair-tearing levels as quickly as possible in Time Attack mode, and try to beat the developers' times in each stage!

• Jump and grapple through a number of exotic worlds
  • Dodge obstacles and defeat enemies as you make your way to the goal
  • Put your skills to the test in 30 Time Attack levels

Wii U Exclusive Features

•Play the game the way you want! We support almost anything that connects to the console: Wii U Gamepad, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii U Remote, Wii remote + Classic Controller Pro, Wii Remote + Nunchuk!
•Use motion controls: triggering the special ground stomping attack and swinging with the grapple has never been so easy!
•Off-TV play support: can't use your TV? No problem! Enjoy the game on your GamePad!
•Challenge your friends - and the whole world! - with online leaderboards!

pY3tnwz.png

oMEY2wh.png

oSmUeLD.png

Coming soon.

--

Special thanks to kubus, who made the amazing banners for this thread!

daydream

Banned
Consider me a fan of kubus' work. Lovely OT as always, Max.

Will definitely pick this up if impressions turn out to be positive.

(also, I didn't have to google this time)

You should probably note that this has been out on Steam since December 2013.

And Metacritic lists one review from a french site

"Wooden Sen'SeY is a nice little platform/action game that takes place in a crazy Japanese world. Too bad it is so repetitive and sometimes too difficult as well." - 3/5

kubus

Consider me a fan of kubus' work. Lovely OT as always, Max.
Aw thanks :D.

OT: never heard of this game until Max asked me to do some graphics work, but it looks charming. Probably won't pick this up right away (backlooog) but the reviews seems positive enough to make me put this on my wishlist.

maxcriden

You should probably note that this has been out on Steam since December 2013.

And Metacritic lists one review from a french site

"Wooden Sen'SeY is a nice little platform/action game that takes place in a crazy Japanese world. Too bad it is so repetitive and sometimes too difficult as well." - 3/5

Since there was only one review for the Steam release and it's from a site that's unfamiliar to me, it seems unfair to the game to post that review based only on that version, especially since the OT is mainly geared towards the Wii U release, which may have improvements vs. the Steam release. I'll add the Steam release date, though, thank you.

maxcriden

Adding to OP, there are some significant improvements to this version:

•Play the game the way you want! We support almost anything that connects to the console: Wii U Gamepad, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii U Remote, Wii remote + Classic Controller Pro, Wii Remote + Nunchuk!
•Use motion controls: triggering the special ground stomping attack and swinging with the grapple has never been so easy!
•Off-TV play support: can't use your TV? No problem! Enjoy the game on your GamePad!
•Challenge your friends - and the whole world! - with online leaderboards!

Via: http://blog.en.upperbyte.com/2014/07/wooden-sensey-gets-release-date-on-wii-u.html

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Look solid, but the criticism from the Steam version that makes me weary is how short it is. Several reviews seemed to state it's around 2 hours long.

maxcriden

Look solid, but the criticism from the Steam version that makes me weary is how short it is. Several reviews seemed to state it's around 2 hours long.

I spoke with the devs about this earlier today as I was curious about this; this might put your mind at ease a bit:

As for the time required to beat the game, we've had lots of radically different feedbacks. For the story mode, some very skilled players beat the game in merely 3 hours. Other players took up to 7 hours to finish this mode.

For the time attack mode, well, it depends if you like this kind of gameplay; if you want to collect every gold medal, you can take several more hours. If you want to have a decent ranking in the leaderboards (like him on the PC/Steam version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4HmbMuUfMs), well, that's a different story!

maxcriden

I'm super tired but I have played some and it's really fun and well worth the $10. I'll write up some more detailed impressions tomorrow when I hopefully have a bit more sleep in me!

maxcriden

I like myself some good swinging mechanics, so I'm in.

The swinging mechanics *feel* really, really good. They're different than any other grappling hook game I've played. You feel like you're really hanging from the hook and have good control over it. It's like how I wanted the grappling hook to control in Wind Waker, but in 2D. Good stuff.

maxcriden

zlCfzSNYVasYnYEqH_

Wooden Sen'SeY has been a real delight to play so far. The grappling mechanic works supremely well using the Wiimote only to play, and the downward double-jump is reminiscent of the recent awesomeness of the Shovel Jump in Shovel Knight. We're a solid 20% or so done with the game after probably 2-3 hours. It seems to have a solid amount of content and plenty of reasons to replay. The backgrounds are diverse and eye-catching, like a 2.5D Rayman Legends in aesthetic. Just a really charming treat of a game, and another sleeper hit for the eShop.

maxcriden

My wife beat Chapter 5 yesterday, and it looked to be pretty brutal. These are some impressively long levels. I think that one took 35 mins to beat and she didn't die much in the level and kept a good pace throughout. And that's not even successfully getting 100% in the level. This level had a particularly gorgeous aesthetic, too, reminiscent of Sunset Shore from DKCR...let's see if I can find a screencap....

zlCfzSNbhHgiz8WyAR

zlCfzSNeROsXm9ibjC

maxcriden

That is pretty gorgeous. Wonder why this game is so under the radar.

Me too! The unusual name, maybe?

Honestly that's one of the least visually impressive levels in the game:

zlCfzSN8Eosy6fR67M

This underwater level reminded me of recent undersea levels in Rayman Origins and Legends, understandable given both of those games, like this one, were made by video game companies in France:

zlCfzSOIQeYPynqwO0

maxcriden

One more post with a couple of neat screens. This is an earlier level that teaches you the grappling mechanics in a natural and seamless fashion.

zlCfzSOLXkEg4QDmrK

One more picturesque shot of the silhouette level. I really enjoyed this section with slowly spinning gears that suck you into a crushing death while you grapple up and between them.

zlCfzSOMPko16cQB5q

maxcriden

Oh, hey Max.

Hi Max, what's up?

Oh, nothin', chilling by myself here in the WSS thread.

What's WSS?

Wooden Sen'Sey.

Oh, right. I'm here, too. Did you say you had a review?

Yes, a new one was published by Nintendo Life:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu-eshop/wooden_sensey

Wooden Sen'SeY has all of the materials to be a winner — sharp visuals, clever touches and plenty of charm. The execution falls down, however, as the intention to offer 'old-school' difficulty isn't backed up by polished physics and impeccably structured level design. Those factors all need to come together for this approach to work, but what we have is an overly difficult, at times intensely irritating, platformer. If you're a seriously skilled player, the kind that can boast of beating the most gruelling of games, then this may be worth a punt. For everyone else, we suggest finding an alternative Master.

They gave it a 5/10.

Wow, I'm surprised. It's such a good game!

Yeah, me too. I wonder what control scheme they used. Surely not the extremely user-friendly Wiimote option sans motion control.

Oh, looks like there are some more reviews now, though:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/wooden-sensey

KooopaKid

Banned
I should be interested in this but I'm not and I'm not sure why. Maybe because swinging mechanics are more often than not frustrating? Oh I know! I always sucked at Worms' grappling hook!

maxcriden

You mean Wiimote to aim and Nunchuck to move the character? This sounds like a fun control scheme.

Oh, no, I mean Wiimote sideways. Just as a regular controller. I think Wiimote/Nunchuk with analog might be an option, and I know there are motion controls (which I have turned off) for the double jump and grappling, but I'm playing with just a sideways Wiimote, controlling using the d-pad.

Foshy

What's up with the title, by the way? Is there a reason for the apostrophe and random uppercase letters? lol

KooopaKid

Banned
Just played the demo on the EU eShop.
Controls are spot on. But the first levels were already dragging a bit and the combat/enemies are not interesting :(
The submarine level sounded like it could be fun.

maxcriden

Just played the demo on the EU eShop.
Controls are spot on. But the first levels were already dragging a bit and the combat/enemies are not interesting :(
The submarine level sounded like it could be fun.

Submarine level is really neat. Sorry the game didn't do much for you (yet at least). I find the combat pretty satisfying the sideways Wiimote control scheme. The future levels are definitely increasingly inventive, and the challenges are really tough.

daydream

Banned
Just played through the demo. Overall, I enjoyed the movement controls and the aesthetic. Pulling off the slam especially was pretty fun.

A couple of things bothered me, though, most of which KooopaKid already mentioned. The combat doesn't feel satisfying due to lack of feedback upon impact. It feels like you're just chipping away at tofu blocks or something, it's really wonky. I would also agree that the levels dragged on for too long. It sets a bad precedent considering those were just the first two stages. You're obviously incentivised to collect all the bottles, as well, which doesn't alleviate the tedium. Last thing I'll mention is that, while the swinging felt okay, the little somersault he does can really throw you off. I see why it's there - it helps you reach a platform when you don't have much momentum - but since the goal should be to eventually be moving quickly once the swinging controls are mastered, it seems ill-advised to have something that will throw you off kilter.

With the soundtrack also being rather 'meh', I'll probably have to skip this one. It's a shame because it started off pretty well. I think the way you slam by tilting the Gamepad really works nicely. Ah well.

kunonabi

Might buy it just to support them for using all the various controllers. I'm still pretty damn pissed at the 1001 spikes and guacamelee devs for their laziness in that department.

maxcriden

The final level destroyed me. I don't think I'm capable of beating it which is disappointing. I wish
that damn fire thingie didn't chase you so quickly. And that there were checkpoints, or at least more of them, in the level.
Sigh. It's too bad because it's a fun game, and really gorgeous. The OST is great, too, especially the Chapter 8 music. I'd really like to be able to beat it. I just don't think I'm skilled enough.

Top Bottom