• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires DS Impressions?

Does anyone have any Age of Empires DS. I have been mildly interested in this game. So if there are any good impressions I might just buy it.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I picked it up, but I won't be able to play for a couple hours. I will post back in this thread. I was excited even before it got good reviews, so hopefully it's fun.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'm absolutely loving it, though I'm still in the tutorial section of the campaign. Somehow I'm surprised by the amount of depth (unit wise, tactically, orders, etc.) that they maintained. The presentation is really first rate too. Not just graphically (which is nice) but the added content, like maps you can buy, knowledge library, etc. It's really everything I had hoped on first impression and it appears that judging by content it will last me a long, long while.

To be fair, I liked Battles of Prince of Persia too, but while that was a rough side project sort of game that I think got unfairly reviewed because of it's bare bones game setting, this is very fleshed out.

Advance Wars and strategy fans should rush in to purchase.

Soul4ger

For some odd reason named the "this is a DS game not published by Nintendo and we think it won't sell, thus we aren't overnighting it" syndrome, EB and GameStop won't be getting their copies until Thursday.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I hope it doesn't outright bomb (which it will probably get near). This is another really quality Western title. Nice to see.

Mrbob

Sounds good, Musashi. Your impressions seem to clash somewhat with Game Informer's review, in which I believe you over them. They complained about the lack of units in this game. Which I don't understand since there seem to be 40+. Also complains about how you need to evolve ages and gather resources to succeed. Sounds like they never played an AoE game before.

I would hope to get this game tommorrow, but with over a foot of snow heading my way over the next 24 hours I doubt I'll be able to pick this up till Friday!

Prospero

Huh--I didn't think this would be out until the 28th (that's what I get for going to Amazon for release dates). Headed to the mall on my lunch break.

No more impressions?

I'm thinking about picking it up tonight. I want to make sure it's got something to offer for someone burned out on AWDS.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
AdmiralViscen said:
No more impressions?

I'm thinking about picking it up tonight. I want to make sure it's got something to offer for someone burned out on AWDS.

I really think most stores didn't get it. I played it for hours and hours so my impressions remain super positive.

Musashi Wins! said:
I really think most stores didn't get it. I played it for hours and hours so my impressions remain super positive.

How far along are you in the mission mode after those hours?

Is the non-mission single player strong? Lots of maps to choose from, good AI?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
AdmiralViscen said:
How far along are you in the mission mode after those hours?

Is the non-mission single player strong? Lots of maps to choose from, good AI?

I'm still in the opening Joan of Arc campaign! There are several bonus objectives beyond defeating the enemy, so I've been doing everything on the maps. You can buy a few new kind of units and about 10-15 maps in the bonus section with points you earn. I think those are for the stand alone scenarios.

I haven't played the one shot maps yet, sorry. One is a Hannibal mission, so I really want to try it out. Given the length of this easier tutorial campaign I have to imagine the single player is pretty damn long. So far the AI is fine, but honestly, this campaign is still getting you used to using particular strategies of resource, terrain, etc. I could definitely see it getting much harder, there is a lot to think about.

It's incredibly addictive so far, I can't imagine an AW fan not enjoying it.

As a side note...I don't think there is a map creator, but I've heard with two player there's a mode to pass the DS. I don't know anyone who has one, so I think that's sort of neat. Probably a simplistic feature that most strategy games have :lol

Musashi Wins! said:
I'm still in the opening Joan of Arc campaign! There are several bonus objectives beyond defeating the enemy, so I've been doing everything on the maps. You can buy a few new kind of units and about 10-15 maps in the bonus section with points you earn. I think those are for the stand alone scenarios.

I haven't played the one shot maps yet, sorry. One is a Hannibal mission, so I really want to try it out. Given the length of this easier tutorial campaign I have to imagine the single player is pretty damn long. So far the AI is fine, but honestly, this campaign is still getting you used to using particular strategies of resource, terrain, etc. I could definitely see it getting much harder, there is a lot to think about.

It's incredibly addictive so far, I can't imagine an AW fan not enjoying it.

As a side note...I don't think there is a map creator, but I've heard with two player there's a mode to pass the DS. I don't know anyone who has one, so I think that's sort of neat. Probably a simplistic feature that most strategy games have :lol

Awesome. Where'd you buy the game?

Are the bonus objectives varied and interesting?

Are the new units unlocked for all 5 civs at once? Are the point costs high enough for it to take me a while to get everything?

The one-shot maps have objectives?? Is there a mode where I can pick a map, pick the number of enemies, and just fight it out? That's what's most important to me.

I'm really pumped about this game, thanks for the details.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
AdmiralViscen said:
Awesome. Where'd you buy the game?

Gamerush (Blockbuster)

Are the bonus objectives varied and interesting?

They're engaging. Take over all natural resources on map, retrieve a holy relic, destroy all siege engines, route Lord So and So, etc.

Are the new units unlocked for all 5 civs at once? Are the point costs high enough for it to take me a while to get everything?

The unlockables so far seem to for the one shot or two player maps, not the campaign, though new units do get introduced in the campaign. One neat thing is that at markets you can hire mercenaries, and you never know what sort of unit might be available in there.

The one-shot maps have objectives?? Is there a mode where I can pick a map, pick the number of enemies, and just fight it out? That's what's most important to me.

I'm not sure how customizable they are, I'll check this afternoon. The Hannibal map for instance seems to be a war over the mountains with elephant troops.

I sure as hell hope there's a free-battle mode. I might not get it otherwise.

Please let me know as soon as you can, so I'll know before I head to the mall later (I'm going either way, for other things).

AdmiralViscen said:
I sure as hell hope there's a free-battle mode. I might not get it otherwise.

Please let me know as soon as you can, so I'll know before I head to the mall later (I'm going either way).

I totally forgot that mode!! Hope there's one!

Prospero

I'm calling around to stores now (EBGames; Gamestop; Best Buy; Target), and I can't find this thing in stock anywhere.

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/strategy/ageofempiresiiageofkings/review.html

The campaigns could easily last you more than 20 hours, and at that point, you've still got skirmish matches and multiplayer battles to explore. Skirmish matches can include up to four human or computer-controlled players, and there's a wide selection of maps to choose from (though there's no option to make your own maps). Multiplayer supports local wireless play if you've got friends with their own copies of the game, though luckily, there's a pass-and-play option as well. Because this is a turn-based game, it's actually pretty convenient to pass the DS from one player to the next between turns. The multiplayer options are nice to have, but thankfully the computer artificial intelligence puts up a solid fight. Multiple AI personalities and difficulty settings are available as well. What's more, as you finish campaign missions, you earn points with which you can unlock some new units and a bunch of new maps. In case it isn't already clear, there's a lot of stuff to play in here.

Kind of a roundabout way of explaining it, but it looks like the option is available.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Yea, skirmish mode is great (Empire Mode in single player). Just played a mini-crusade, Saladin vs. Richard. You can customize some rulesets, choose difficulty, up to 4 armies, etc. Awesome game confirmed!

Prospero

I scored a copy--it wasn't easy, but then I looked at the back of the box and saw that it's published by Majesco.

I called EBGames this morning and they said they'd have it by 1--I showed up at 3 and it was already sold out. (They got three copies; two were preorders and one was snagged by an employee). Two other stores turned up nothing, but Best Buy had a ton in the back that they hadn't put on shelves yet. So that's your best bet if you want it today or tomorrow. If it's not out, ask one of the employees to get you one, and tell him that the street date is today.

P.S. if you're upset that an Age of Empires game is turn-based, just pretend it's named something else.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Prospero said:
I scored a copy--it wasn't easy, but then I looked at the back of the box and saw that it's published by Majesco.

I called EBGames this morning and they said they'd have it by 1--I showed up at 3 and it was already sold out. (They got three copies; two were preorders and one was snagged by an employee). Two other stores turned up nothing, but Best Buy had a ton in the back that they hadn't put on shelves yet. So that's your best bet if you want it today or tomorrow. If it's not out, ask one of the employees to get you one, and tell him that the street date is today.

P.S. if you're upset that an Age of Empires game is turn-based, just pretend it's named something else.

Congrats. Really looking forward to your impressions, so share them when you get the chance.

This game is awesome. Absolutely awesome.

My Best Buy had about 8 copies of both this and Resident Evil. It looked like some had been purchased already.

Memles

I'll be watching Amazon.ca on this one, methinks. They have a tendency to occasionally discount games of this nature a few months into things. If I can find it cheap, it would be a nice pickup.

Full price, though? My unopened copy of AWDS says no. I really do need to get to that, but there's simply too much school work. Oy, my backlog it begins.

Wait, I'm going to have to take that back.

Playing on Brittania in Empire Mode, you and your opponent always start in the same places. He starts within range of your Calvary. You can kill his worker on the second turn, leaving his Town Center half finished. You finish it off two turns later (takes a while to damage it), during which time he cannot do anything to stop you. Winnar.

I hope the other maps aren't like this.

inthegray

5.jpg

the game is great so far, though i've only played up to the fifth tutorial mission in the joan of arc campaign. ive done okay with completing the side goals so far, though i'm having trouble getting the trainer guy to be pleased with my abilities on the second mission. i felt i was using the appropriate people to attack the incoming enemies, yet i can't seem to get that needed approval.

also, i had a monk die as soon as i got him in the fourth mission, making it impossible for me to handle any holy relics.

there are some minor problems ive noticed, which i can see were accounted for in the 8-8.5 review scores. so far though, the game is really fun.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I had that same issue on the 2nd mission. I'm not sure what he wants me to do differently there, it seemed I completed it as efficiently as possible.

In the 5th mission, I'm a bit torn as getting all the resources seems to be the trade off for turns if I don't want to sacrifice too many units. I went for the resource bonus.

Also, I haven't played that Brittania map in Empire, but that stinks. I'm sure there are little bugs here and there I haven't seen yet too. Hopefully not too many, I'm loving it quite a bit so far.

Small note, I'm glad they took the time to add the small entries in the library and such. And I like medieval style art throughout the presentation. It makes the entire package nicely presented.

Musashi Wins! said:
I had that same issue on the 2nd mission. I'm not sure what he wants me to do differently there, it seemed I completed it as efficiently as possible.

In the 5th mission, I'm a bit torn as getting all the resources seems to be the trade off for turns if I don't want to sacrifice too many units. I went for the resource bonus.

Also, I haven't played that Brittania map in Empire, but that stinks. I'm sure there are little bugs here and there I haven't seen yet too. Hopefully not too many, I'm loving it quite a bit so far.

Small note, I'm glad they took the time to add the small entries in the library and such. And I like medieval style art throughout the presentation. It makes the entire package nicely presented.

I couldn't satisfy the guy, either (we're talking about the church sword mission, right?)

As for the "get all the resources" thing, the trick is to attack the enemy hero so he runs away, then raze the Town Center. Then you can take as much time as you want to get the resources. The mission ends when you build your own Town Center there.

I tried Brittania twice and got the same result. I didn't mess around with the enemy's difficulty, though. Maybe smarter ones won't put their TC there. Either way, 80% of the map is useless if you start off so close to the guy. The battles are going to stay in the first Age or two, and there's not going ot be much reason to spread out. Forget about scouting, that's useless too when the map isn't randomized (not even stuff like relics or gold nodes) and the bases are already in the same spot. That's really broken. They could have at LEAST randomized which of the four spawn points each of the four players would start at.

Presentation is excellent.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Yea, same mission. Not sure what he's looking for (suspect it's a bug).

You're dead on about the randomization. That's a huge oversight. I'm just hoping that with the length of time it will take with the campaign and completing the maps as single player exercises, that I'll be so sated with the experience I won't be pissed that they left out a map editor or better options in scenario mode. That's assuming we don't run into larger bugs down the line of course.

The game is fun and enjoyable, so I'm not too pissed. I have 15 maps now, do you know how many you can unlock? That's enough quantity for me to avoid being bored with the repetitiveness of spawn points and resource nodes. I'll just avoid playing the same map over again that often.

Weren't you talking about some kind of sub-mission thing before? Where do I go for that? Where is the Hannibal mission?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
AdmiralViscen said:
The game is fun and enjoyable, so I'm not too pissed. I have 15 maps now, do you know how many you can unlock? That's enough quantity for me to avoid being bored with the repetitiveness of spawn points and resource nodes. I'll just avoid playing the same map over again that often.

Weren't you talking about some kind of sub-mission thing before? Where do I go for that? Where is the Hannibal mission?

No, it's just a skirmish map. I'm sure you've bought it, it's called "Hannibal" I believe. As far as how many there are, I'm not sure, I haven't bought a bunch of items, though I doubt that many more unlock.

Musashi Wins! said:
No, it's just a skirmish map. I'm sure you've bought it, it's called "Hannibal" I believe. As far as how many there are, I'm not sure, I haven't bought a bunch of items, though I doubt that many more unlock.

I actually haven't bought anything.

It has its own mission goals and stuff? Does it appear in a seperate section than Empire Mode? Or is it just a map called Hannibal?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
AdmiralViscen said:
I actually haven't bought anything.

It has its own mission goals and stuff? Does it appear in a seperate section than Empire Mode? Or is it just a map called Hannibal?

I didn't play it yet, so I'm not sure which modes it can be used in. Now that I've tried some of the other Empire maps, I doubt it's a mission in the traditional sense, though I think the description mentions the elephants and mountains associated with the historical Hannibal. It's a map you can purchase in the extras section.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
teruterubozu said:
Considering that it's a Majesco DS game, it will probably be hard to find like Nanostray.

Could be, though I think it was more of a problem with the initial shipment. It certainly seems like a better game than Nano so far, so hopefully they do ok with it.

Top Bottom