• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Combo Breaker Pack (S1 only) retail release September 23rd for $19.99

It's safe to say that the resurrection of Killer Instinct has been a huge success. One of the launch games for Xbox One, the action-packed fighter has proven extremely popular; it was recently featured as one of the main events of this month's massive Evo 2014 fighting game tournament.

The pain train is still running full steam ahead, too: Microsoft Studios and the development team at Iron Galaxy is releasing a special retail version of the game, “Killer Instinct: Combo Breaker Pack” starting September 23 for $19.99.

The pack comes loaded with the game all eight fighters from Season 1. That’s Jago, Sabrewulf, Glacius, Thunder, Sadira, Orchid, Spinal, and Fulgore – giving you plenty of choices for obliterating your opponents – PLUS a code for a bonus fighter from Season 2 – TJ Combo.

And that’s just a piece of the exciting news being announced in anticipation for when Killer Instinct: Season 2 hits Xbox One this later this year. So get those C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERS ready, people!

killer_instinct_boxshot_front_esrb_rgb.jpg

I thought this would come eventually, price is inline with the price on the store I think? This and Project Spark getting retail releases, perhaps Powerstar Golf and Lococycle are next :p

.la1n

I like the cover, pretty nice incentive that they are including TJ Combo with the purchase as well.

I'd be all over this if I had an Xbox One. It's still difficult for me to justify $400 for one game, though. I'm not really interested in anything else on the platform.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding this or not but...

if you buy this physical version does that essentially mean you get access to TJ Combo "early"? Or does it just include a code for future use?

Awesome! Looking forward to getting this and the Master Chief Collection when I purchase an Xbox One.

Wish it included the original KI. I'm not paying $30 for that.
Is there a way we can purchase the original KI without having to purchase the digital copy of this game?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I wonder if this means TJ will be out Sep 23rd, or just you get the code and wait for him to be released..

Incoming next Games with Gold? Then again they might wait tell Season 2 release. If they just released the physical copy, it's pretty safe to say it won't be in GoG for a while.

RE_Player

I am absolutley shocked at how well Microsoft is handling Killer Instinct. I might buy an Xbox One and this retail release is the main reason I'm leaning towards the system.

FinKL

Nice that they offer a physical edition, now just need that Killer Cuts.

Can't wait for Season 2, especially with all the Microsoft credit from last month. I'm ready to throw bucks at whatever they give us to preorder digitally

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I would've expected them to wait until season 2 was finished to do a retail release.

I'd rather go digital with this.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Is there a way we can purchase the original KI without having to purchase the digital copy of this game?

Not that I'm aware. I dont think getting the first season of the new KI and the original arcade at $30 is a bad value, I just don't have any interest in fighting games these days. I just want to revisit the original without paying for all the extra stuff.

What would be the point of doing a download code if you can already buy it digitally...?

It must be a disc. Like what they did with Minecraft.

Gamejunky

I'm still annoyed that I got the 19.99 version for free but can't upgrade to the 39.99 version without paying full price. Would love to get the classic KI version :(

SerTapTap

Nice! Hopefully a disk, they aren't entirely clear about that.

Ugly as sin cover.

Yeah...especially the "only on Xbox" thing that drapes down (prefer how the "only on playstation" thing stays on the PS4 branded "strip" rather than cutting into the "real" boxart) and the "bonus fighter included". After seeing the early Xbox One/PS4 boxes I was hoping this would be a gen with less boxart cruft.

C-Sword

I once bought a Xbox One for this game, it was fun, but it still couldn't keep me from selling the console.

I was actually surprised by how hard it was to learn this game compared to other fighters, I could never Shadow Break on a constant basis.

Krejlooc

Banned
Already have ki3 but im so gonna double dip for a physical release. Ki3 is easily the best game on the xbox one imo. Really great revival for the series.

Not including KI Classic with this might mean they will offer it as a stand alone title on the marketplace FINALLY(?).

Not sure about that. KI Classic was never offered as part of the combo breaker pack. If anything maybe the retail release will encourage them to finally add an upgrade path from combo breaker to ultra edition.

Not trying to detail the thread but just a heads up, if you are interested in getting an arcade stick for this: it will only work for this game.

For example, I would love to play guacamelee with my arcade stick but once the game loads, no buttons besides the guide button will register. The stick works on apps like netflix so it's not a defect on the stick. Right now the only sticks available are made by mad catz so I'm not sure if the problem is them or microsoft.

On-topic, killer instinct is fun so that's great that more people can play it.

Not sure about that. KI Classic was never offered as part of the combo breaker pack. If anything maybe the retail release will encourage them to finally add an upgrade path from combo breaker to ultra edition.

I still can't believe they haven't been able to implement it yet. I'm going to guess they set up the Combo and Ultra packs as two separate SKUs when they should have set them up more like different levels of a Season Pass for the free client.

Not trying to detail the thread but just a heads up, if you are interested in getting an arcade stick for this: it will only work for this game.

For example, I would love to play guacamelee with my arcade stick but once the game loads, no buttons besides the guide button will register. The stick works on apps like netflix so it's not a defect on the stick. Right now the only sticks available are made by mad catz so I'm not sure if the problem is them or microsoft.

On-topic, killer instinct is fun so that's great that more people can play it.
I'd also recommend the CronusMax if you already have a stick or fightpad. It's not ideal, but it works.

Top Bottom