• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard Second Quarter Calendar 2014 Results

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
This just in, with detailed financial data at the Businesswire link:

For the quarter ended June 30, 2014, Activision Blizzard’s GAAP net revenues were $970 million, as compared with $1.05 billion for the second quarter of 2013. On a non-GAAP basis, the company’s net revenues were $658 million, as compared with $608 million for the second quarter of 2013. For the second quarter of 2014, GAAP net revenues from digital channels represented 49% of the company’s total revenues. On a non-GAAP basis, net revenues from digital channels represented a record 73% of the company’s total revenues.

For the quarters ended June 30, 2014 and 2013, Activision Blizzard’s GAAP earnings per diluted share were $0.28. On a non-GAAP basis, the company’s earnings per diluted share were $0.06 for the second quarter of 2014, as compared with $0.08 for the second quarter of 2013.

The company reports results on both a GAAP and a non-GAAP basis. Please refer to the tables at the back of this press release for a reconciliation of the company’s GAAP and non-GAAP results.

Bobby Kotick, Chief Executive Officer of Activision Blizzard, said, “Our better-than expected performance was driven by continued strong digital sales from Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft®, Diablo® III: Reaper of Souls™ and Blizzard Entertainment’s newest franchise, Hearthstone®: Heroes of Warcraft™, which recently launched on the iPad and continues to be well received by audiences around the world, as well as digital sales from Activision Publishing’s Call of Duty®. Based on our results, we are raising our full-year outlook and we expect to grow our non-GAAP revenues year-over-year and deliver record non-GAAP earnings per share for the full year.”

Kotick added, ”Over the next few months we expect to release some of the very best games in our company’s history. Blizzard Entertainment plans to launch World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor™, the newest expansion in the epic franchise, which more than 1.5 million Western subscribers have already pre-purchased and Activision Publishing expects to release Destiny™, which we believe will be the largest new intellectual property launch in videogame history, as well as Skylanders Trap Team™ and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

Kotick continued, “Today, we have more opportunities to create great content using new platforms and business models while also expanding into new geographies, and are embracing all of these growth opportunities with the same commitment to excellence that we have demonstrated over the past 23 years. As the world’s largest and most profitable independent interactive entertainment company, we remain focused on creating the most compelling, engaging games for our dedicated audiences and providing superior returns for our shareholders.”

Selected Business Highlights:

• Life to date, Activision Publishing’s Call of Duty: Ghosts remained the #1 best-selling game on the next-generation consoles in North America and Europe combined.¹

• In North America and Europe combined, for the first six months of 2014, Activision Publishing’s Skylanders SWAP Force™ was the #2 best-selling console and handheld game overall in dollars, and in North America, Skylanders SWAP Force outsold the #1 action figure line.²

• As of June 30, 2014, Blizzard Entertainment’s Diablo III: Reaper of Souls remained the #1 PC game in dollars in both North America and Europe and, including its expansion and digital sales, Diablo III has sold more than 20 million copies worldwide across all platforms since its release in 2012.³

• As of June 30, 2014, Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft remains the #1 subscription-based MMORPG, with approximately 6.8 million subscribers.⁴ There was a decline in subscribers quarter over quarter, which was disproportionately concentrated in the East and was similar to the seasonal decline experienced during the second quarter of 2012, prior to the launch of the most recent expansion later that year.

• On July 15, 2014, Blizzard Entertainment and NetEase, Inc. jointly announced an agreement to license Blizzard Entertainment's award-winning action role-playing game, Diablo III, to a NetEase, Inc. affiliate in mainland China.

• During the quarter, Activision Blizzard paid its highest dividend ever of $0.20 per common share, totaling $147 million.
Company Outlook:

Today, Activision Publishing released Call of Duty: Ghosts Nemesis, a downloadable content pack exclusively on Xbox Live for both Xbox One and Xbox 360®. The company expects to release Call of Duty: Ghosts Nemesis on other platforms later in the third quarter of 2014.

Additionally, on September 9, 2014, Activision Publishing plans to release Bungie’s highly anticipated game, Destiny, for Sony’s PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 and Microsoft’s Xbox One and Xbox 360. Preorders for the game are tracking towards an industry record for a new intellectual property.

Earlier this quarter, Blizzard Entertainment released Curse of Naxxramas™: A Hearthstone Adventure for Windows, Mac and iPad. On August 19, 2014, Blizzard Entertainment also expects to release Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition™ for Sony’s PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 and Microsoft’s Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Based on its second quarter results, Activision Blizzard is raising its full year outlook. The company’s third quarter and full year net revenue and earnings per share outlook are as follows:
Source: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140805006556/en#.U-E6mPl_tac

Conference call at 1:30 PM PT: http://investor.activision.com/disclaimer.cfm?eventid=147897

DNAbro

Activision Publishing expects to release Destiny™, which we believe will be the largest new intellectual property launch in videogame history

can't wait to see how it does.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Activision Publishing expects to release Destiny™, which we believe will be the largest new intellectual property launch in videogame history

So much for some people thinking it's gonna be a flop. It's gonna be a hit whether some like it or not.

Either way, I'm interested to see how it'll do in terms of sales

I think its easy to see that Destiny will be the biggest new IP launch in history. Does it have the legs to compete with Call of Duty? Grand Theft Auto? that's the question.

Personally I don't think it even gets close to GTA but It might give COD a run for its money.

the scary thing is all of these games come from the same place pretty much.

How far do WoW subs have to drop before they consider a Free 2 Play Model?

Or maybe just a Buy-to-Play model, through Expansions? (ala Guild Wars 2/Destiny)?

Tamanon

Banned
How far do WoW subs have to drop before they consider a Free 2 Play Model?

Or maybe just a Buy-to-Play model, through Expansions? (ala Guild Wars 2/Destiny)?

Probably down to a couple million. This is expansion lull really. No chance of free-to-play any time soon.

Trickster

~Million? They get back to 10 million with WoD anyway, so no F2P coming.

No they dont. They get maybe 1½ million back, and then after a year will have lost that amount again. That said, yeah, no f2p anytime soon lol. I mean they are already succesfully integrating f2p shit into the game without having to remove the subscription

Roo

Honest question, do we know what IP is the current holder of this record?

MauroNL

• In North America and Europe combined, for the first six months of 2014, Activision Publishing’s Skylanders SWAP Force™ was the #2 best-selling console and handheld game overall in dollars, and in North America, Skylanders SWAP Force outsold the #1 action figure line.²
So Disney Infinity is the #1 in Europe if I'm reading this correctly?

Super Mario Bros. and Final Fantasy have both sold over 100 million copies to date. /shrug

They're not saying it'll be the biggest selling franchise, just the biggest selling new title that isn't part of an existing franchise, so like you'd count the first mario and the first FF but not the entire thing nor the more recent ones.That said the claim sounds pretty stupid. Wikipedia best selling list:
Tetris 143millions(good luck with that one)
Wii sports 82.5millions
Minecraft 54millions
Super Mario Bros(the first one so counts) 40.2millions
After that the list goes into stuff that's already existing IP like Wii sports resort and GTA5, still stuff like Nintendogs and Pokemon at around 24millions.

Still not sure how they plan on beating any of these numbers.

Roo

Super Mario Bros. and Final Fantasy have both sold over 100 million copies to date. /shrug

They're not saying it'll be the biggest selling franchise, just the biggest selling new title that isn't part of an existing franchise, so like you'd count the first mario and the first FF but not the entire thing nor the more recent ones.That said the claim sounds pretty stupid. Wikipedia best selling list:
Tetris 143millions(good luck with that one)
Wii sports 82.5millions
Minecraft 54millions
Super Mario Bros(the first one so counts) 40.2millions
After that the list goes into stuff that's already existing IP like Wii sports resort and GTA5, still stuff like Nintendogs and Pokemon at around 24millions.

Still not sure how they plan on beating any of these numbers.
I think you guys are a little bit confused.
Activision said they expect Destiny to have the largest launch in videogame history (let's say.. 4 million the first day) not that they expect it to be the best selling new IP ever.

isn't it Watchdogs ? or am i mixing that up with best first week sales for new ip.
Yeah, I was thinking about it but as you, my memory is failing me lol
I think Watch_Dogs was the best launch IP in Ubisoft's history but could be wrong.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think you guys are a little bit confused.
Activision said they expect Destiny to have the largest launch in videogame history (let's say.. 4 million the first day) not that they expect it to be the best selling new IP ever.

Yeah, I was thinking about it but as you, my memory is failing me lol
I think Watch_Dogs was the best launch IP in Ubisoft's history but could be wrong.

Yeah, even if we assume it's the first fiscal year, it would be Watch_Dogs with 8+ million as the current champ.

jcm

That Bobby Kotick sure is good at making money. I tip my hat to him, even though they don't make a single product that interests me.

only 14% of their last quarter's revenue is from "next gen" consoles, should have a big bump next quarter

PQmOVXZ.jpg

JPS Kai

was the season pass 50$ for the COD games? seeing season pass and gold editions in the pstore for 50$ and 100$

Correct. $10 savings versus buying ( 4 map packs X $15 each = $60). With the Atlas limited edition, you get the season pass for $40.

I'd still recommend getting the physical version on AW just for the simple fact of getting the steel book case and being able to resell the game down the line at the same price as going digital. If there was an incentive to get the digital version, ie: lower price, then I'd suggest that instead.

kuYuri

On this note:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/activision-says-call-of-duty-not-immune-to-industr/1100-6421532/

Game pre-orders are on the decline, Activision stated in an earnings call today.

Speaking in the call, Activision publishing president and CEO Eric Hirshberg said that a downturn in pre-orders is being experienced throughout the industry and results from a number of factors, such as, "increased digital consumption, particularly on the next-gen consoles, titles being widely available on day one, and the decline overall of demand for software on previous-gen consoles."

According to Hirshberg, Activision's Call of Duty series is "not immune" to the effects of the downturn. "However, within that context, we still expect for Call of Duty to lead the industry in pre-orders once again this year," he added. "We look to other metrics as well, and we're seeing a lot of strength in those metrics... It's important to note that pre-orders are just one data point that we look at in determining the momentum of a franchise like this."

Based on such metrics, Hirshberg stated that purchase intent for Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is "significantly above" that of Call of Duty: Ghosts, and is on track with the publisher's past top performing games, despite having not yet revealed details for the game's multiplayer mode.

Top Bottom