• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian to partner with Paizo Inc. to release electronic Pathfinder games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod Abuse:

Stolen from rpgcodex.

OBSIDIAN ANNOUNCES PATHFINDER LICENSE

INDIANAPOLIS -- August 13, 2014 -- Obsidian Entertainment, the developer of Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: the Stick of Truth and the Kickstarter phenomenon Pillars of Eternity, announced that they have entered into a long-term licensing partnership with Paizo Inc. to produce electronic games based on its popular Pathfinder Roleplaying Game intellectual property

Obsidian's first licensed product will be a tablet game based on the highly successful Pathfinder Adventure Card game, a cooperative game for 1 to 4 players. Players each have a unique character composed of a deck of cards and a set of stats. Characters have classes such as fighter, rogue, wizard and cleric, as well as numbers that define attributes such as strength, wisdom and charisma etc. Players will be able to customize their deck to better suit each individual’s vision of their character.

"At Obsidian we have a long history of working with the greatest RPG franchises, and we're thrilled to get to play in the Pathfinder universe now," said CEO Feargus Urquhart. "We're huge fans and can't wait to bring what we do in the electronic gaming world to Pathfinder fans everywhere".

In the world of Pathfinder, players take on the role of brave adventurers fighting to survive in a world beset by magic and evil. The Pathfinder RPG is currently translated into multiple languages, with hundreds of thousands of players worldwide. The Pathfinder brand has also been licensed for comic book series, graphic novels, miniatures, plush toys, apparel, and is being developed into a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game.

"Obsidian is a video game developer at the top of its game", said Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens. "Being able to bring that type of experience and passion to Pathfinder can only mean great things, both for our loyal Pathfinder community and for all fans of great CRPG's."

Obsidian will be at Gen Con 2014 showing off an early prototype of the digital Pathfinder Adventure Card Game in the Paizo booth (#203) and in their own booth (#2151) featuring the first consumer hands on for Pillars of Eternity.

About Obsidian Entertainment
www.obsidian.net

About Paizo Inc.
www.paizo.com

Obsidian Entertainment Press Contact:
Shane DeFreest
Press@obsidian.net

Paizo Inc. Press Contact:
Jenny Bendel
Jenny.bendel@paizo.com

----

seen at gencon sorry i can't post a better direct link to the article as my phone is awful. a picture of a banner displaying both company names was spotted.

first news article with a picture.

http://www.enworld.org/

check it out. hopefully something interesting will come of this?

My wife is an avid player and I play in home games with her and friends. She doesn't play games much, but I'm sure she'll be interested in this one.

Karthaugh

Holy shit, if so, I am incredibly excited. Pathfinder is absolutely awesome, I wonder if the will make it a la Baldur's or Pillars, or if it will be typical 3p/1p.

Pooya

don't know anything about Pathfinder, hopefully it's a good game.

pic in case someone can't see the article;

1407860247-pf-obsidian.jpg

Kimaka

I'm fairly new to Pathfinder but this sounds like a good match. It's always nice to see Obsidian get more RPGs to work on. They haven't made one I haven't liked yet.

Celegus

I've always heard good things about this, but don't really know anything about it. Definitely will keep an eye on it.

Call me when we get beyond sword's and sorcery in RPG's. Really Obsidian? BOOOORRRRINNNGGG!!
Where are the Fallout, Shadowrun, White Wolf and Mass Effect clones?

I think you guys get way too caught up in the technical dice rolls and number crunching to realize how every one of these settings seems basically the same. Ooohh! D&D 3.75! like it's some PS3 firmware upgrade! ROLEPLAYING game for me means characters and setting are more important than roll dice to damage dragon.

Sarcasm, I guess? They did Fallout: New Vegas and the South Park game. Also, Alpha Protocol and KOTOR 2.

All of which besides Alpha Bore-tocol were brilliant. So I want more of that rather than stealing from Tolkien's playbook. They already have Pillars for instance.

How about no?

Obsidian made Hellblazer RPG. Tell me that wouldn't be badass. Instead of Mana, cigarette smoke determines spellpower

adj_noun

They're doing fantasy with Pillars. I'd prefer they branch out a bit.*

*Tank MMO's aren't really what I mean though

I for one never set myself to expect a radical change in setting for what's basically cashing in on a popular table top game that is derived from D&D 3.5. I'll be looking forward to see how Obsidian's Pathfinder turns out.

epmode

I dunno, as excited as I am for PoE, I'd sure like more non-standard RPG settings. I'll probably buy regardless because Obsidian.

Kacho

Very cool. If it weren't for Obsidian I probably wouldn't care as much. Their involvement definitely piques my interest.

Arulan

One after another of unforeseen (assuming this is true) announcements and it has almost become a norm for me to be so excited after each one. Pillars of Eternity by none other than a dream team, Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, a successor to Ultima Underworld, SSI being reborn and making new Gold Box games, and the onslaught of RPGs that have already been released and the ones I didn't already mention.

Seriously, I'm losing my mind. What more can I ask for?!

adj_noun

One after another of unforeseen (assuming this is true) announcements and it has almost become a norm for me to be so excited after each one. Pillars of Eternity by none other than a dream team, Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, a successor to Ultima Underworld, SSI being reborn and making new Gold Box games, and the onslaught of RPGs that have already been released and the ones I didn't already mention.

It does feel a bit like an RPG renaissance.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Don't forget Lords of Xulima and Underrail, which going by their Early Access versions are both *extremely* good.

Kacho

Yes, this is definitely an exciting time. The resurgence we're seeing (and the community support behind them) warms my heart. Same goes for space sims.

AWESOME! After the MMO turned out to look so horrible (and I kickstarted that shit), this is a wonderful thing!!!

I can't decide if the Pathfinder MMO looks better or worse than that Yogcast one. Yikes.

adj_noun

Athelas on RPGcodex pointed this out from a February RPS article

Feargus Urquhart:

What else can we do with (Eternity)? I want to hook up with the Pathfinder guys and see about doing a Pathfinder Eternity world book thing. It sounds a little weird, but… A card game. A board game. I’ve already been chatting with Cryptozoic Entertainment. We have nothing going on specifically, but they have a lot of experience in board games and card games. That’s what’s going to be transformative.

Labadal

All will be revealed this weekend. Well, maybe not all. :)
Press release tomorrow. More details throughout the weekend. We are talking about more than one type of game. I think you guys will be happy. :)
Btw, they are NOT taking over Pathfinder Online. Let's squash that right now.
-Lisa

Another possibility is they could be making the pathfinder adventure card game into a computer game, similar to Magic The Gathering, and Warcraft's Hearthstone.
That said, i'd prefer a CRPG. by far.
You know what I say in life, why do you have to choose? Why not have both?

From the CEO of paizo.

Arulan

Some more information (thanks RPG Codex!):

11494.png

All will be revealed this weekend. Well, maybe not all.

Press release tomorrow. More details throughout the weekend. We are talking about more than one type of game. I think you guys will be happy.

Btw, they are NOT taking over Pathfinder Online. Let's squash that right now.

-Lisa​

According to Lisa, it's also not a tabletop version of Pillars of Eternity.

EDIT: Apparently this was already posted above and I completely missed it. Nevertheless the next couple of days should prove to be very interesting.

Labadal

Stolen from rpgcodex.

OBSIDIAN ANNOUNCES PATHFINDER LICENSE

INDIANAPOLIS -- August 13, 2014 -- Obsidian Entertainment, the developer of Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: the Stick of Truth and the Kickstarter phenomenon Pillars of Eternity, announced that they have entered into a long-term licensing partnership with Paizo Inc. to produce electronic games based on its popular Pathfinder Roleplaying Game intellectual property

Obsidian's first licensed product will be a tablet game based on the highly successful Pathfinder Adventure Card game, a cooperative game for 1 to 4 players. Players each have a unique character composed of a deck of cards and a set of stats. Characters have classes such as fighter, rogue, wizard and cleric, as well as numbers that define attributes such as strength, wisdom and charisma etc. Players will be able to customize their deck to better suit each individual’s vision of their character.

"At Obsidian we have a long history of working with the greatest RPG franchises, and we're thrilled to get to play in the Pathfinder universe now," said CEO Feargus Urquhart. "We're huge fans and can't wait to bring what we do in the electronic gaming world to Pathfinder fans everywhere".

In the world of Pathfinder, players take on the role of brave adventurers fighting to survive in a world beset by magic and evil. The Pathfinder RPG is currently translated into multiple languages, with hundreds of thousands of players worldwide. The Pathfinder brand has also been licensed for comic book series, graphic novels, miniatures, plush toys, apparel, and is being developed into a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game.

"Obsidian is a video game developer at the top of its game", said Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens. "Being able to bring that type of experience and passion to Pathfinder can only mean great things, both for our loyal Pathfinder community and for all fans of great CRPG's."

Obsidian will be at Gen Con 2014 showing off an early prototype of the digital Pathfinder Adventure Card Game in the Paizo booth (#203) and in their own booth (#2151) featuring the first consumer hands on for Pillars of Eternity.

About Obsidian Entertainment
www.obsidian.net

About Paizo Inc.
www.paizo.com

Obsidian Entertainment Press Contact:
Shane DeFreest
Press@obsidian.net

Paizo Inc. Press Contact:
Jenny Bendel
Jenny.bendel@paizo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.