• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Rare 'will be an important part of our future'

"Right now with Rare we're at a point where I don't want the Rare brand to mean Kinect Sports. The Rare brand can be more valuable to them, to us and to gamers than that.

"I think it's about them thinking about the next game that's going to be the next 'Rare game' and really stand for what they are. I know they've got some great ideas. I've not been up to Twycross for maybe six months, but I'm planning on getting up there this fall and seeing bits for the new game. But I know they're hard at work and Phil Harrison has been up talking to them.

"So they've got some new ideas, they're excited about them and I think Rare should, can and will be an important part of our game future."

Link To Interview

Come on gritty Jet Force reboot!!!!

"Right now with Rare we're at a point where I don't want the Rare brand to mean Kinect Sports. The Rare brand can be more valuable to them, to us and to gamers than that.

Jack-Nicholson-lol.gif

SerTapTap

They're learning!!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Translation: They will be making a set of Jet Force Gemini gamerpics. Please be excited!

A true revival of Rare by Microsoft and revisiting some of their classic franchises would be enough to sell me on an Xbox One.

Sadly I get the feeling that the Rare I was in love with all those years ago is long gone..... :(

Excited to see what they're working on. I'd love a new Banjo game but I'm more curious to see what Rare is capable of when not shackled to Kinect.

"we plan on using their licenses as bonus characters in Killer Instinct, and Conker made an appearance in that Build-Your-Game thing so I mean...there ya go!"

KJRS_1993

Jet Force Gemini just might pull me in. I loved that game.

But who are we kidding? They've been bigging up Rare for years and done 'nothing' with them. I wouldn't be surprised if the people who made old Rare so special have all left by now.

Miles X

Just how much did MS downsize Rare? They've done practically fuck all in recent years. Didn't they have 2/3 teams??

So they should be full steam ahead on at minimum, 2 projects.

Leyasu

Banned

"I think it's about them thinking about the next game that's going to be the next 'Rare game' and really stand for what they are. I know they've got some great ideas. I've not been up to Twycross for maybe six months, but I'm planning on getting up there this fall and seeing bits for the new game. But I know they're hard at work and Phil Harrison has been up talking to them.

"So they've got some new ideas, they're excited about them and I think Rare should, can and will be an important part of our game future."

Link To Interview

Come on gritty Jet Force reboot!!!!

This is good to hear. I cant wait to see what rare are upto now that kinect is finally dead

RK128

Cool, so where is the trailer/teaser for Rare's 'big' game yet? If they are working on something outside of Kinect, we should have something to see to know your guy's aren't just speaking hot air, right :D?

....I really hope we see some kind of Banjo, Conker or original Platformer IP from them this generation; considering how they are being more and more open to games similar/like this game type (getting Sunset Overdrive, Max and the Curse of Brotherhood and Ori and the Blind Forest on X1), a huge Rare Platformer does make a lot of sense happening and isn't completely unrealistic like it was post-2009 Xbox 360.

I just hope Microsoft doesn't cancel more Rare games this generation :(; they did for tons of prototypes for the 360 and Xbox X(....

Conker would be awesome or a proper Banjo game that is not a collectathon. Or even, a brand new ip, a colourful platformer like Mario would be great.

I think Rare still has it, they just need the backing from Xbox boss.

microsoft is getting it's ass kicked and is desperate to win back the hardcore gamer crowd they lost to sony with the ps4. in an effort to do so, i predict they are going to have rare start making games that will appeal more to the hardcore set.

how many teams are there at rare these days? at least two?

BWJinxing

Perfect Dark, Conker, Banjo Kazooie .... stuff that would require practically no marketing and would generate positive buzz.

Saroyan

Rare is living on a farm up north, they are very happy there. They have other developers to run around and play with.

LX_Theo

Banned
Prediction...

They'll be assigned some old franchise that people have been hoping for (Conker, Banjo) to drive some sales with their name attached to it and will make a bad game from that opportunity.

Flintty

For fucks sake GAF! Only GAF can take a really positive snippet of info and grind it into a pile of dog shit with your heel.

This is great news. Rare will be back.

Believe.

"Guh-huh! Well shucks Kazooie, 6 years and Rare still hasn't called us back for a sequel. What do we do?"

"Guess we'll have to make our own."

-Project Spark, Where dreams turn into 900p reality

Top Bottom