• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Party Chat NAT Problems

Anyone have a fix for this? I haven't had these issues on other platforms and its pissing me off. Sometimes I can't chat with people due to NAT errors.

FeiRR

Banned
Put your PS4 in DMZ in router settings, if you can. I keep it that way and no NAT problems.

Polarburr

Sorry for bumping a semi-old thread. Just got my PS4 and I got this error instantaneously when trying to chat with my friend.

Then, I chatted with another friend, didnt work. What I did though was change output audio to All audio. That made it work, but obviously the downside is that I hear everything in my headphones.

Definitely cant be NAT issues. any solutions?

Polarburr

little update on my mic issue. Friend A can hear me, I can hear him. Friend A can hear friend B, Friend B can hear him. I can't hear Friend B and vice versa. has this happened to anyone?

Polarburr

Already enabled it in my router. Could've find it in my ps4. It's not showing in the network setup. Also enabled dmz and did port forwarding. Same with my friend. Still nothing. Thoughts?

xtradi

Banned
Already enabled it in my router. Could've find it in my ps4. It's not showing in the network setup. Also enabled dmz and did port forwarding. Same with my friend. Still nothing. Thoughts?

If you enable UPnP you should be getting NAT 2 on PS4. Do you get NAT 2?

some service providers block it, and you might get NAT 3 by using a 4G connection.

I had to buy an extra service from my provider called OpenGate to get a static IP address for it to work properly.

I've been getting this issue a ton lately. UPnP has always been enabled on my setup and it has always been NAT 2. I have Comcast Xfinity and a 5G router. Yesterday I took the time to assign my PS4 a static IP outside of my DHCP range and I opened all the suggested ports as well. Yet, I'm still greeted by this NAT error.

I just made the PS4 IP DMZ on my router. The Xfinity box has that 5G router set as DMZ on it. If I still get this error I guess I'll try connecting the PS4 directly to the Comcast modem/router, but really this shouldn't be this hard. WTF is going on.

Polarburr

yeah, its really weird. it cant be my isp or my friends, we have the same one, did the exact same settings on our router (dmz, upnp, port forwarding), same settings in the ps4 and still, we both can hear some people but NEVER each other. :|

GodofWine

Just had this pop up with a fellow gaffer who Im pretty sure we chatted on our current set ups multiple times (he just moved but Im pretty sure we've used it post-move multiple times).

Did any of your problems persist? Im guessing its just random internet-gonna-internet glitches?

block what? it wouldnt make sense though right, given that i'm able to chat with certain people??

xbla.nat.jpg

It all depends on your NAT type and the NAT type on the other end, too.
Some combinations work, some do not.

(the graphic says xbox, but its the same for any device)

Fisty

Ive found that leaving and rejoining the chat often fixes the problem. Doesnt seem to be a real NAT issue, at least in my experience

Sirim

Sorry for the bump, but does anyone know any way around this yet? Port forwarding and DMZ stuff doesn't work. Wasn't fixed with the latest update either.

Sirim

I have to turn my PS4 off to get it to work, and even then it takes a few restarts at times. Very frustrating...this needs to be fixed. Everyone has NAT 2 everytime as well. It seems to happen at random.

Edit: Ironically happened again as I posted this.

Simo

Wow. This is happening to a lot of people then? I thought it was just an issue with myself and my friends. lol

I've got Xfinity and 2 of my friends have At&T and usually have the most problems who tried port forwarding and it did nothing but generally leaving and re-entering the party a few times fixes it.

Ralemont

not me
NAT is always shown as Type 2, but sometimes Destiny does give me a message that my NAT is set to strict. So I test my connection again and it says Type 2. I have no fucking idea.

I have this problem a lot. Especially with Destiny raids and 5 other people in party chat, odds are one of them won't work on a given night. Really frustrating.

Dredd97

NAT is always shown as Type 2, but sometimes Destiny does give me a message that my NAT is set to strict. So I test my connection again and it says Type 2. I have no fucking idea.

I have this problem a lot. Especially with Destiny raids and 5 other people in party chat, odds are one of them won't work on a given night. Really frustrating.

Think it's the destiny servers

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah i get this a lot in destiny, usually with ppl from the uk. Though I've played with uk ppl in warframe with no issues with party chat so i'll chalk it up to a bungie and/or sony bug.

Sirim

I have no clue what's going on. It happens so randomly, and other times its triggered by the weirdest things.

For instance, my party would be fine for hours, until anyone tries to join a Diablo game together. Then everyones NATs act up and the voices cut out.

Leave the Diablo game, rejoin the party, it's fine. Join Diablo game and it happen again. Same with Warframe.

Other times it just randomly starts up in Party chat at the dashboard.

We all had NAT 2.

Dereck

I had to set my NAT settings from closed to open and that fixed the problem.

I've had the same problem on the XBOX ONE.

Pimpwerx

It's happening a lot since the fw. I had it happen to me tonight. I've had it happen with 1 or 2 different friends each night since the fw update. Always in party chat. No clue why. We thought it was a friend working from a motel, but it's happening to all of us and at random. PEACE.

xtradi

Banned
Maybe because destiny have built in voice chat, it interferes with party chat. If i join fireteam and party chat, i cannot hear any voice but my friend can hear it okay. The solution is leave party chat and use only fireteam chat.

M3d10n

From my experiences when working on a p2p multiplayer game years ago, NAT punchthrough (the technique used to connect two users behind NAT) does not work in 100% of the cases and a UDP/TCP routing server is necessary to mediate the communication between incompatible users. It seems Sony isn't using one for their party chat.

Ralemont

not me
Think it's the destiny servers

It's happened while playing FIFA, too. The weird thing is that it NEVER happened with Battlefield 4, but I also haven't played BF4 since Destiny came out. Was there some FW change that roughly coincided with Destiny's release that may have triggered it?

Bump this shit.

In addition to guys randomly being kicked out of our raid yesterday, the NAT error was also in russian roulette mode muting guys left and right.

Has anyone found a good way to fix the issue or is the ball still in Sony's corner?

Deadstar

Anyone have a reliable fix for this? My friend directly connected his modem to his ps4, got a nat 1 and we still couldn't party chat. You'd think I was the problem however I can chat with multiple friends and I do not have this issue with them.

With my friend it says there is a nat issue and we can't even chat. What could be the issue?

I don't have this problem but I do have a problem where whenever I join a MP game it has to remind me of my chat preferences.

geordiemp

Found a solution to give Ps4 Nat OPEN type 2

(Note type 1 is no router, connect straight to modem, but means you cannot connect other home devices to Internet)

You open the ports associated with 'xbox live' believe it or not.

I have BT home hub 5 fibre optic

I go to hub manager / port forwarding then select

Game or application ; xbox live Device : ps4 or whatever name you have for Ps4 on the network.

Also ; Optimum connection, if you in UK MTU = 1492 and give Ps4 a fixed IP address. The connection to PSN is much faster.

I get 25 up and 50 down in the network settings network test on Ps4

I did all this just to get better COD AW connection...still got laggy games with 2ms ping lol

Found a solution to give Ps4 Nat OPEN type 2

(Note type 1 is no router, connect straight to modem, but means you cannot connect other home devices to Internet)

You open the ports associated with 'xbox live' believe it or not.

I have BT home hub 5 fibre optic

I go to hub manager / port forwarding then select

Game or application ; xbox live Device : ps4 or whatever name you have for Ps4 on the network.

Also ; Optimum connection, if you in UK MTU = 1492 and give Ps4 a fixed IP address. The connection to PSN is much faster.

I get 25 up and 50 down in the network settings network test on Ps4

Will try this as everyone i know suffers with this.

geordiemp

Yeah, I've got a NAT 1 setup currently and still get Party Chat disconnect problems when playing Destiny. Everyone just hops into FT chat and no more problems.

On Ps4 its

Type 1 = direct connection to modem, no router (only Ps4 can connect to internet)
type 2 = connect via router (everybody has this = normal)
Type 3 = dunno, must be bad (mobile hotspot / connectify etc)

Open = Best
Moderate = OK
Strict ; Bad

You getting confused with how xbox called nat...so yo should be going for type 2 OPEN NAT

geordiemp

Will try this as everyone i know suffers with this.

To give Ps4 static IP you set up LAN connection manually

1. first write down current connection settings you have on Ps4 network settings
2. Enter them manually at set up on Ps4
3. Just change the last number after dot which is the IP of your Ps4 (pick a number higher than you have by 20 or 30 so it won't get used by another home device)
4. Change MTU to optimum for your network.

Do network test, the type comes up really fast and its faster up / down on Psn

Deadstar

To give Ps4 static IP you set up LAN connection manually

1. first write down current connection settings you have on Ps4 network settings
2. Enter them manually at set up on Ps4
3. Just change the last number after dot which is the IP of your Ps4 (pick a number higher than you have by 20 or 30 so it won't get used by another home device)
4. Change MTU to optimum for your network.

Do network test, the type comes up really fast and its faster up / down on Psn

I'm going to try this. My friend is affected by this and it's super frustrating.

Polarburr

Apologies for bumping such an old thread. Anyone have a fix for this?

STILL happening to me. Trying to play Battlefront with my friend (same person I was trying to connect with when I commented on this page before) and still getting NAT limitations

Top Bottom