• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow producer Dave Cox leaves Konami

After seventeen years I have decided to leave Konami to explore new opportunities. Today is my final day with the company #endofanera

I joined the company in 1997 as a UK product manager and my first title to manage was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

It's worth noting that he's done more than just Castlevania, but it's perhaps what he's most famous for outside the company.

sector4

Damn, always liked him in interviews about the new Castlevania games. Wish him all the best wherever he ends up next.

Eusis

Ro-oh

does that mean the next castlevania will be made by Kojima?
I kind of imagine Kojima Productions will grow in size and become their de facto core, non-sports development house. They lost IGA, LoS2 seemed to be a colossal dud, and the man who pushed for this new version has just left. They also seem to have had a really bad track record with outside, non-Japanese developers with the first LoS being something of a fluke.

I could also see it as the series just dying entirely, unfortunately. Which makes the IP casualties of last gen possibly insane.

BouncyFrag

I wish him the best. I should probably return to him his magical relics and powers.
image_php_u_417566_dateline_1395007586_type_thum.jpg

Glass Rebel

With Lords of Shadow 2 bombing and Cox leaving, I wonder what will happen to Mercury Steam and the Castlevania franchise.

Either way, good luck to him.

Dremark

Banned
Ro-oh

does that mean the next castlevania will be made by Kojima?

He was already involved with LoS1.

Honestly with the original series rebooted, Iga gone and Konami being present day Konami I'd rather they just let it die at this point.

With Lords of Shadow 2 bombing and Cox leaving, I wonder what will happen to Mercury Steam and the Castlevania franchise.

Mercury steam reportedly lost a lot of good will during LoS2 development due to a ton of mismanagement. I wouldn't be surprised if that bridge was burnt.

ZeroX03

Banned
Is Lords of Shadow 2 a good game?

I wouldn't call it a bad game, but it's certainly incredibly uneven. I paid full price on launch, but honestly it's only worth about $20 (which is easy to find). Combat is still great, but definitely preferred LoS1.

Dremark

Banned

I could be mistaken, but I was fairly certain MS was done with Los after Los 2 and had made this known months before the second game came out.

Glass Rebel

Mercury steam reportedly lost a lot of good will during LoS2 development due to a ton of mismanagement. I wouldn't be surprised if that bridge was burnt.

I can see that, even though they entered a long-term partnership before LoS2 came out. Konami can't be happy with the game's performance.

I could be mistaken, but I was fairly certain MS was done with Los after Los 2 and had made this known months before the second game came out.

Yeah, they've said as much and apparently were working on a new game for Konami.

Did we ever find out if it was true that MercurySteam had allegedly signed a long-term contract with Konami? Of course, that was before LoS2 came out and bombed badly.

Good luck to Cox, I guess. Never liked him in LoS interviews; I wonder if the sequel's reception is partly due to him leaving.

I think he did a good job with Castlevania, LoS1 was great and LoS2 is good. Can't wait to learn about what's next for Castlevania, maybe the true death?.

duckroll

Could this be an indication that Konami's relationship with Mercury Steam is finished? He was supposed to be working on some sort of Contra reboot with them right?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Could this be an indication that Konami's relationship with Mercury Steam is finished? He was supposed to be working on some sort of Contra reboot with them right?

I fear there's a good possibility. Unfortunately, both LOS: Mirror of Fate and LOS2 had low sales. Probably, the Contra reboot got canned too.

Contra is free to continue being irrelevant for the foreseeable future, just like all of Konami's non-Metal Gear/soccer games! Castlevania can safely join the heap alongside Rocket Knight, Goemon, and Zone of the Enders

Godslay

Banned
Take this franchise back to it's roots. Give me some sweet pixel action, I don't care if it's a side-scrolling action game, or a Metroidvania, but do it like Shovel Knight. Put it on the XBLA, PSN, and eShop for Wii U and 3DS, and Steam. It seems like the logically choice, but Capcom won't do it.

Pikma

Banned
Take this franchise back to it's roots. Give me some sweet pixel action, I don't care if it's a side-scrolling action game, or a Metroidvania, but do it like Shovel Knight. Put it on the XBLA, PSN, and eShop for Wii U and 3DS, and Steam. It seems like the logically choice, but Capcom won't do it.
:lol

Pikma

Banned
Having played both Shovel Knight and Azure Striker Gunvolt in the past few days I no longer believe you need a specific brand to make a game formula work, so I sincerely don't give a shit about what this ends up meaning for Konami and the already crippled management of both their IPs and the ones they took from us (i.e. Hudson Soft).

Godslay

Banned
Having played both Shovel Knight and Azure Striker Gunvolt in the past few days I no longer believe you need a specific brand to make a game formula work, so I sincerely don't give a shit about what this ends up meaning for Konami and the already crippled management of both their IPs and the ones they took from us (i.e. Hudson Soft).

Castlevania when done right has a particular feel, that's what makes it special. No other game really captures that feeling imo.

tauroxd

But the music and the lore are a huge part of what make Metroidvanias such awesome games, I feel like if I play a Metroidvania-like game I'm playing a ripoff because it doesn't have that awesome music and lore :(

Spaghetti

i don't think this means particularly much for mercury steam and konami. cox will be replaced, and it's more likely the horror stories coming out of mercury steam post-los2 release will be what severs the ties if anything.

LoS 1 was magic, it worked, another instant classic. Cox gave us one timeless game that will be hard to be beat. It sits firmly as my third favorite game in the series. In order SOTN, SC4, then LoS.

Someone can always dust the old franchise off and give us a completely new entry.

Pikma

Banned
Castlevania when done right has a particular feel, that's what makes it special. No other game really captures that feeling imo.

But the music and the lore are a huge part of what make Metroidvanias such awesome games, I feel like if I play a Metroidvania-like game I'm playing a ripoff because it doesn't have that awesome music and lore :(
I know that, but they're dead, Konami isn't able to make good Castlevania games anymore, it's time to move on. If they don't do it somebody else will.

Godslay

Banned
I know that, but they're dead, Konami isn't able to make good Castlevania games anymore, it's time to move on. If they don't do it somebody else will.

They wandered down the wrong path imo with Mercury Steam. Perfect time to correctly reboot the series.

As far as somebody else doing it, every Metroidvania or similar style sidescroller just doesn't capture it. I've played a lot of the games in the genre, including the ones you listed and nothing really compares. Konami has to do it right or you are right the series is likely dead for awhile.

They nailed this in the castle. The whole place oozed atmosphere with Overlook Tower and Carmilla's Lair having some of my favorite vistas in any videogame.

It makes it that much more of a shame that the development was such a cluster. Whoever the art director is who left I want him involved in the next game. Oscar Araujo too. Enric Alvarez can fuck right off if half the rumors about him are correct.

Kojima will ruin Konami to the ground...

I think in a few years Kojima Production will simply eat Konami name whole, lol. they rely on him a lot, Kojima now had his name attached in some way of form to Metal Gear, Winning Eleven, Castlevania, and now Silent Hill.

Konami without Kojima is nothing

Top Bottom