• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coolest way to kill/beat a boss in a videogame

Majestad

Banned
super-mario-64-bowser.jpg

This is the answer for me by far. One of the defining moments in gaming as far as I'm concerned. The Bowser fights in Super Mario 64 introduced a completely new way to control a character. Grabing a giant turtle/dragon hybrid by its tail and spinning it fast and furious to send it flying to nearby exploding bombs? Shit blew my mind when I was a kid, and thinking about it now still makes me realize how cool this way to defeat a boss is.

Mario_und_Bowser_64.jpeg

What about you GAF? What have been some of your favorite ways to kill or defeat a boss in a videogame?

Explain your choice

Lijik

Ive been replaying Street Fighter 2010 and I forgot about halfway in the game you get a powerup that lets you attack people with your backflip move. I havent done it yet, but it should be possible to murder some alien mutant by doing sick backflips into their face enough times.

Rockk

RULES OF NATURE

it's just a dumb QTE but it's so well done. The final boss fight is also pretty good when you
rip out Armstrongs nano-machine heart.

Muffdraul

Q5rAbG2.png

Draygon, Super Metroid.
Let it grab you, then hit the damaged/exposed electric panels with your grapple beam. ZZZZZAAAAAAPPPPPPP

EDIT- beaten, damn

Iksenpets

Banned
The End in MGS3.

You can just snipe him in a cutscene beforehand, or just wait for him to die of old age.

Beat me to it. I let him die of old age the first time I played it and felt kind of guilty about it til I played again years later and killed him for real.

Vico

If that counts, destroying a scarab Halo 3 can be cool as fuck. You jump on it using a vehicle, then you kill everyone on foot, and finally you get out and stare at the impressive explosion from a distance.

Tate in Shinobi for PS2. You basically chain attacks on minor enemies around the boss and if done swiftly enough you can kill the boss in one hit. Really tricky to pull off for a lot of the later bosses though IIRC.

Bog

Junior Ace
Aside from many named already, Metal Blade against Metal Man during the boss rush at the end of Mega Man 2. One hit in the US version.

Loofy

I never finished LttP so I dont know if they were rehashing this mechanic.

But it blew my mind at the time. 'omg its like we're playing tennis!!'
V4aetwg.jpg

Bringing a Banshee into the final fight in Halo 2 was pretty neat, although probably unintentional.

Dueling MetaKnight as Sword Kirby was pretty great.

Edit: Oh methods, getting the player to fight Gray Fox with just punches and kicks.

psychomantis.jpg

Swapping controller slots. /thread

Yup, was going to post this. Since you did though my choice would be

The first colossus will always be something special especially since the game doesn't tell you shit and you don't know what to expect then BAM, this motherfucker walks in and you'll have to take it down even though he is 100x times your size.

Climbing has never been this epic.

Metal Gear probably takes the cake here, though Sabin Suplexing the train in FF6 is a close second.

So many weird ass bosses in the MGS solid series, and there was always an obscure way to kill them.

Psycho Mantis in MGS you beat by switching controller inputs so he couldn't read your "mind."

The "end" from MGS3 could be beaten by changing the date on the PS3, so he dies of old age. If you're quick you can also shoot him at the start of the stage before the boss encounter from far off, causing him to explode.

The "fear" could be dealt with by leaving expired food around that he just couldn't resist for some reason...and food poisoning.

The "sorrow" from MGS3 (or at least his stage) can be beaten by drowning yourself, then taking a "revival" pill before you're dead completely.

Volgin in MGS3 could be depowered with mushrooms you found laying around, keeping his electric powers from working, and putting on the mask of the guy he's been sleeping with will distract him mid fight enough for you to get some cheap shots in.

lewisgone

Use the bug catching net to distract the final boss at the end of Skyward Sword.

And in Wind Waker, deflecting Phantom Ganon's energy shots with an empty bottle.

Im gonna say my first time beating Vergil 3 in DMC3.

Vergil 2 already made me push my skills at the time to the limit, Vergil 3 had my going Gurren Lagann and looking deep within myself to pull off the win.

I still remember that final Beowulf straight that ended it.

Woffls

If that counts, destroying a scarab Halo 3 can be cool as fuck. You jump on it using a vehicle, then you kill everyone on foot, and finally you get out and stare at the impressive explosion from a distance.
Thiiiiiisss. My absolute favourite thing about Halo campaigns is exactly this. Specifically by driving a mongoose off a crane. So good.

Also Metal Gear Rising.

Top Bottom