• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there some kind of ice box that I can put my consoles in to keep them cooler?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I have always wondered if a computer would run better at high speeds in a freezer, assuming the condensation wasn't an issue. If too much hear is a problem, what happens when the hardware will never get too hot? Could it run even faster?

And proper ventilation isn't always enough. My old 360 overheated in the summertime whenever I played GTA 4. That's the main reason I never finished it [spoileranother being that it sucked. [/spoiler]. I even bought a snap-on cooling fan, but it didn't help shit.

Try submerging your console in mineral oil.
I know this is a joke, but I'm actually going to respond to it seriously.

I would like to do something like this. Not just with my consoles but with a lot of my stuff.
I have lotsa desktops that I'd like to do something like this with. Because I've done most of the upgrading that I can do to them.

I have an FM1 PC that has the best CPU that exists for it, and an FM2 PC that has the best CPU that is for it. And those sockets are being discontinued and AMD won't make any better CPUs for them. I already have a GPU as good as they need, and I have SSDs in them. They're around where I can't do many more upgrades to them, so I'd might as well do something like give them a kind of liquid cooling like that.

Mineral oil is nice. I don't know if mineral oil is a dangerous substance. But I've actually heard there's a better one. I forgot its name, since it has an all science-y name. But it's apparently better than mineral oil. So I would use that, instead.

For some new PCs I would still do upgrades to, I wouldn't do that. But for some of my older or outdated computers, like my FM1 PC, there aren't many more upgrades I can do. So submerging it in something like that and making it a closed system sounds nice.

And for a console, I would have to make sure there aren't any parts that are mechanical and could get ruined by being submerged. I couldn't do that with a PlayStation 3 unless I replaced the hard drive with an SSD. And there might be other parts that are mechanical that I couldn't do that with. I would have to be careful and make sure.

But the idea sounds nice. I would want to put it in another case, though. One that was better for being submerged.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Refrigerators keep things cool because they periodically turn on after the temperature gets above a certain point. It's not like the second you turn on the refrigerator, it becomes that cold inside it. It takes a while.

They probably aren't as great about keeping a constantly heating console cool as you might hope, particularly if you leave it on for a long period of time.

It might help to at least start from a cooler starting point by it keeping really cool until you hit the on button, but the moisture and the frost could easily break things inside the console as well while it's turned off.

Is... Is it even possible to overclock a console? 0.o
Here's some ones of the Game Boy. It doesn't actually do anything but speed up or slow it down, though.

There.

I get the feeling that overclocking the PlayStation 3 wouldn't help that much with framerates n' stuff.

xkramz

Sometimes when my phone is overheating (around 41°C) I simply put it in the freezer for some seconds. It isn't hot anymore and it's still works. Have never tried it with a console though.
When my phone is hot I just throw it in a bucket of ice cold water To cool it off

I know this is a joke, but I'm actually going to respond to it seriously.

I would like to do something like this. Not just with my consoles but with a lot of my stuff.
I have lotsa desktops that I'd like to do something like this with. Because I've done most of the upgrading that I can do to them.

I have an FM1 PC that has the best CPU that exists for it, and an FM2 PC that has the best CPU that is for it. And those sockets are being discontinued and AMD won't make any better CPUs for them. I already have a GPU as good as they need, and I have SSDs in them. They're around where I can't do many more upgrades to them, so I'd might as well do something like give them a kind of liquid cooling like that.

Mineral oil is nice. I don't know if mineral oil is a dangerous substance. But I've actually heard there's a better one. I forgot its name, since it has an all science-y name. But it's apparently better than mineral oil. So I would use that, instead.

For some new PCs I would still do upgrades to, I wouldn't do that. But for some of my older or outdated computers, like my FM1 PC, there aren't many more upgrades I can do. So submerging it in something like that and making it a closed system sounds nice.

And for a console, I would have to make sure there aren't any parts that are mechanical and could get ruined by being submerged. I couldn't do that with a PlayStation 3 unless I replaced the hard drive with an SSD. And there might be other parts that are mechanical that I couldn't do that with. I would have to be careful and make sure.

But the idea sounds nice. I would want to put it in another case, though. One that was better for being submerged.

It doesn't work for long periods of time. The heat has to go somewhere.

Unless you cool the oil somehow. Might as well water cool it.

I'm sure you could setup up a pump + radiator or water chiller if you really wanted it.

Teremap

Banned
When my phone is hot I just throw it in a bucket of ice cold water To cool it off
I know this is probably a joke (is it?), but this can be done with sealed, waterproof phones.
The better question is, why would you need to do this in the first place?

baking_cooling_rack.jpg
Something like that sounds okay, but I wouldn't want the metal scratching up the plastic on the bottom of the PlayStation 3.

I would also want something that wouldn't fall over. Something like that would help raise it, but I have all my game systems on a shelf and I'm afraid that would make it fall over.

Something like that might be nice, though.

I know this is probably a joke (is it?), but this can be done with sealed, waterproof phones.

You wouldn't in almost every situation... I don't even think overclocking a phone would lead to temperatures like that, you'd have to pump more voltage into it.

As for the person that throws their phone into the freezer... that's a terrible idea. Quickly heating and dropping the temperature on something will inevitably cause it to start developing cracks (especially in the screen and casing, and inevitably the mainboard itself).

RPGCrazied

Really no need. Never had a problem with any console. Like my PS3 is almost 4 years old, still runs great. *knocks on wood*. I just blow the dust out of it every few days.

Most of this technically doable but a lot more challenging than you probably think it is. PC cases and parts are designed for each other and intended to be modular, console components are not. (HDD/SSD are exceptions, those are designed to be removed/added in a PS3)
I thought it would be pretty difficult. That's why I haven't done it yet..

Though now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps now I'd might as well learn. Having a custom PlayStation 3 sounds nice.

Since I already imagined it would be really difficult. If it's even more difficult than I imagined, then it would be really really really challenging. D:

Upgrading the PSU would not be possible.
Awwwwwww. Why not?

xkramz

i got an S5 , so usually when im using my phone heavy. i just dip it in cool water to cool off the phone

Top Bottom