• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using 56k Sega Dreamcast, on broadband router, to play Phantasy Star Online, today

Krejlooc

Banned
Yj7fdXq.png

With all the hype and hooplah about online-only games this generation like Destiny and Titanfall, I figured it'd be a neat thing to show that one of the pioneering online consoles and MMOs is still going today thanks to some outside the box thinking and dedicated fans. For those too young to remember the days before the Internet was ubiquitous, The Sega Dreamcast was hailed as a groundbreaking console in the west for being the first, viable system to come packed in with internet access. While several prior systems had flirted with internet access, the Dreamcast was pretty much the first system to make Internet access a priority and a consideration in game development.

Arguably the flagship game for Sega's online initiative was Phantasy Star Online, recognized as the first ever console MMO (even if the actual gameplay was restricted to 4 member parties). PSO was a radical departure for one of Sega's most popular and long running series, but the departure would prove to be popular. Even today, Sega's online Phantasy Star spin-off series is still getting sequels and drawing praise.

ECy7AuA.jpg

The Dreamcast's life occurred during a time when the ways we connected to the internet rapidly progressed. The original system, in japan, launched with a 33 kps modem, while we in the west were lucky to get a bundled 56k modem. Late in the dreamcast's life, a broadband modem was introduced that brought the dreamcast into the modern age. These broadband adapters for the dreamcast are hard to come by and generally go for quite a bit of money because they can do so many cool things - aside from being able to connect to a modern broadband router and enjoy easy internet access today, they also let you network your dreamcast with a windows PC and rip disks. The Dreamcast, you see, didn't use CD-Roms, it used a proprietary disc called GD-Rom that cannot be read on a conventional CD-Rom or DVD-Rom drive. Hence, the only way to dump a DC disc is with a utility over a network using the dreamcast's actual GD-Rom drive.

Now, getting a Dreamcast with a broadband adapter online and playing Phantasy Star Online is generally not that difficult to do. Even though the official servers for PSO went down years and years ago, dedicated fans, sensing its impending death, captured and monitored network communication when playing PSO and essentially reverse engineered the serves and have private servers running today. The most popular PSO private server is probably SCHTHACK which currently has 28 people playing EDIT: This number went up to 48 during the time it took me to type this post lol. That's impressive for a console MMO decades after it released.

As I said, though, getting a dreamcast online with the broadband adapter isn't too difficult, and thus, isn't very fun. Much more interesting is getting the supplied 56k modem up and running again in today's modern environment. Old modems had a lot of particularities to them, most prominent being the way they actually "dialed out" audibly to the connecting ISP. To be certain, I haven't had a land line in about 10 years now, and certainly don't have dial up internet service. We are going to be using a Telephone line simulator to interface our dreamcast with a router and then edit our DNS settings to point to the phantasy star online private server.

tUslDFx.jpg

TELEPHONE LINE SIMULATOR

First step is to grab a Telephone Line Simulator. These are pieces of test equipment that, as the name suggest, simulates a phone line and dial tone for our dreamcast to dial out to. I am using the TLS above, the teltone TLS-3B. Before we can get our dreamcast connected to this, we need a router to act as a "middle man" between our broadband modem/router and our telephone line simulator.

WUDJTQj.jpg

A netopia R2020 router is precisely what we need. other models of Netopia routers will work as well, but this is the one I personally have. The reason we need one of these routers is because they have the all-important phoneline in port on the back, letting us route a phone line like any eithernet line.

Connect your Teltone TSL3 to your Netopia R2020 and connect that to a PC to begin configuring the router and telephone simulator. Configure the IP address, subnet mask, default IP gateway, etc. of both the netopia router and teltone TSL3. Make sure they are on the same gateway as your broadband router - my broadband router is 192.168.1.1 so I set my netopia router to 192.168.1.2

Under IP configuration on the netopia router, disable "IP Servicing mode" to make the router act as a pure bridge.

At this point, you should have internet access through the netopia router, which is acting as a bridge from your broadband router. Access "WAN Configuration" and select "Add configuration profile" to create a profile for our dreamcast to connect with. Name this connection "Dreamcast" and under "Encapsulating profile" add the following settings:

d1HRP51.png

Next, go under "IP Profile Configuration" and use the following settings:

SCOo2CS.png

Finally, under "Telco options" use the following settings:

Code:
Dial:  Dial In Only
Dialing Prefix:
Number to Dial:
Alternate Site to Dial:
Idle Timeout (seconds):  0
CNA Validation Number:
CompuServe Login Enabled:  No

Save these settings as the "Dreamcast" profile and reboot your netopia router. Connect your Dreamcast 56k modem to the TSL3 phone-in line connection and turn on your dreamcast with the DreamWeb browser inserter to configure your dreamcast's connection settings. Use the following settings to have your dreamcast dial-in to the TSL-3:

Code:
Your Real Name: (Anything will work here)
User Login: dream (Put in the user name that you typed in your connection profile)
Password: dreamcast (Put in the password that you typed in your connection profile)
Dial Up Number: 40 (Type in the number associated with the line on your phone line simulator which is being dialed.  Find this out in your phone line simulator manual/documentation.  On the Teltone TLS3 dialing "40" rings the first line)
Backup number: (Leave blank)
DNS1: 0.0.0.0
DNS2: 0.0.0.0

Area code you are dialing from: (Leave blank)
Long distance call prefix: (Leave blank)
Call waiting prefix: (Leave blank)
Outside dialing prefix: (Leave blank)
Modem Init: AT&F0 (usually the default. Last character is the number zero)
Dial: Tone
Dial area code: Off
Blind Dial: Off

With this done, your dreamcast can successfully dial out through it's 56k modem, interfacing with the Telephone Line Simulator which routes incoming traffic from your Netopia R2020 router, which itself is acting as a bridge from your broadband modem/router. We're almost done!

Phantasy_Star_Online.PNG

Next up, we need to configure our Phantasy Star Online to access this private server. because we're actually dialing out, rather than connecting through broadband, we will need to use a device known as the CodeBreaker (a pro action replay-like device) to manually edit the location PSO will look to the server for.

088Lr3A.jpg

With the Codebreaker CD, enter the following codes:

Code:
022ED530
646f7370
022ED534
736e6463
022ED538
6874612e
022ED53C
0078632e

Then pop in your PSO disc and connect to the internet using the dreamcast dial up profile you configured with DreamWeb.

Voila! You now have dial up access to a private phantasy star online server from your Sega Dreamcast, without having a land line or dial up ISP! The benefit of doing things this way is that you can use the dial-up settings you configured in DreamWeb on any 56k modem. This means, for example, that Sega Saturn games can still be played online, as a friend and I demonstrated earlier this year.

How about that? Due to the peer to pee nature of Sega Saturn online games, they still work online nearly 20 years later. This method is also good for playing Quake 3 online (the dreamcast version even supports KB&M and lets you play against PC players). The thing about this connection setup is its the best possible 56k connection imaginable. Real-world 56k connections never quite hit 56 kps, they were often much slower. Because this is basically tunneling in a much larger connection through your 56k modem, you get a solid, stead 56k connection at the maximum throughput, which translates into a solid 130ms latency (which is very not bad for this hardware).

Just a small tutorial for people to enjoy.

GulAtiCa

heh, until like '11 I used to play PSO regulary on the GameCube online SCHTHACK server.
Wow, perchance is this possible with the gamecube version in any way?
Yep. http://www.schtserv.com/

Easy enough to set up.

Same the population died so much, even in BB. When I used to play GC PSO a few years back, GC server usually had around 50 on weekends and BB had at least 1 completely filled server.

Krejlooc

Banned
OMG I may do that once I get home

Wait no, I can't because I don't have any memory units :(

You also need a TSL-3R telephone line simulator and a netopia R2020 router.

The Telephone line simulator can be hard to come across, but I have a bulk collection of R2020 routers because I bought a crate of them when they were becoming hard to find. If anybody is serious about getting a dreamcast or saturn back online, I'll gladly sell them an R2020 router at cost.

Tiktaalik

Radical. Thanks for posting. I wondered if someone had hacked Phantasy Star Online and had servers up. Great to know that some folks out there are interested in game history preservation

kunonabi

I actually went through the trouble of buying the broadband adaptor and getting my Dreamcast on to my home wifi only to find that my Dreamcast already had a PSO game registered to it. Totally sucks I'd buy another DC but I can't really be sure I won't run into the same problem.

MoosiferX

This thread has me super inspired! I may end up giving the broadband method a shot, but good lord, kudos to you Krejlooc for rocking the 56k.

garath

Wow. I actually owned a Dreamcast, a modem and played PSO on it. Loved that game. So ahead of its time. Too much hassle to play today though lol.

Krejlooc

Banned
I actually went through the trouble of buying the broadband adaptor and getting my Dreamcast on to my home wifi only to find that my Dreamcast already had a PSO game registered to it. Totally sucks I'd buy another DC but I can't really be sure I won't run into the same problem.

Er, you don't need to register your dreamcast to play on the private server. You can if you wish to have a gamer card, but it's not necessary.

Zalusithix

Heh, I remember being able to configure a Windows PC with a modem to basically act as software bridge between the modem and the NIC. The Dreamcast "dialed" into the PC, the PC bridged the connection to the NIC, and the DC thought it was online. Granted having an old PC with a modem running Windows 98 is about as rare as the BBA these days.

Krejlooc

Banned
Really? I need to figure that out then.

http://schtserv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=62874

there's the topic on registration.

Heh, I remember being able to configure a Windows PC with a modem to basically act as software bridge between the modem and the NIC. The Dreamcast "dialed" into the PC, the PC bridged the connection to the NIC, and the DC thought it was online. Granted having an old PC with a modem running Windows 98 is about as rare as the BBA these days.

Not really the same thing, but in the early days of the Xbox 360, I used to bridge a connection with my laptop to use my laptops wifi access to wirelessly connect my xbox 360 to the internet.

The connection was awful this way, lol. So much added latency.

mr stroke

Amazing thread OP

I remember using my DC online for a while, when my I didn't have my PC. Amazing experience at the time for a console

Even though the official servers for PSO went down years and years ago, dedicated fans, sensing its impending death, captured and monitored network communication when playing PSO and essentially y reverse engineered the serves and have private servers running today.

That's badass.

As soon as I saw the thread title I knew you made it :p

I've actually been thinking about this for a while now. I've wanted to try actually playing PSO online (I only played locally back in the day) but never found a guide straightforward enough to make it worth doing (although I also didn't look very hard). I think this could be a very fun way to spend a weekend.

Zalusithix

http://schtserv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=62874Not really the same thing, but in the early days of the Xbox 360, I used to bridge a connection with my laptop to use my laptops wifi access to wirelessly connect my xbox 360 to the internet.

The connection was awful this way, lol. So much added latency.

At my first college, the only internet connection available in the dorms was WiFi, and one that standard WiFi cards wouldn't connect to at the time (802.11a iirc). Thus to get my PC and consoles online, I used my laptop (with provided WiFi card) to act as an access point and DHCP server providing internet access through the NIC.

One of the more amusing side effects of this setup was when I forgot I had the DHCP server running and jacked the laptop into the wired connection in one of the academic buildings. My laptop then began effectively hijacking the wired connection of everybody else - both inside the room and outside. Didn't take long for me to realize what was going on when I first heard complaints from others about not getting a connection, but still not fast enough to preempt the higher ups managing the network from tracking down the issue and paying me a visit. (They assumed it as malicious at first.)

Coreda

Loving these long-format tutorial threads. GAF rarely seems to host more in-depth technical threads (or hardware-related reviews, etc), as most things get posted in the OTs, unlike other enthusiast sites where it's common to have dedicated threads like this. Glad these have a place here, and that people are enjoying them.

Krejlooc

Banned
At my first college, the only internet connection available in the dorms was WiFi, and one that standard WiFi cards wouldn't connect to at the time (802.11a iirc). Thus to get my PC and consoles online, I used my laptop (with provided WiFi card) to act as an access point and DHCP server providing internet access through the NIC.

One of the more amusing side effects of this setup was when I forgot I had the DHCP server running and jacked the laptop into the wired connection in one of the academic buildings. My laptop then began effectively hijacking the wired connection of everybody else - both inside the room and outside. Didn't take long for me to realize what was going on when I first heard complaints from others about not getting a connection, but still not fast enough to preempt the higher ups managing the network from tracking down the issue and paying me a visit. (They assumed it as malicious at first.)

haha good thing you didn't have DC++ or some other piracy software going at the time, as it'd be hard to explain why you essentially throttled the entire building's internet connection while pirating at the same time.

Zalusithix

haha good thing you didn't have DC++ or some other piracy software going at the time, as it'd be hard to explain why you essentially throttled the entire building's internet connection while pirating at the same time.

Meh, the technical stuff was handled horribly there. If anything they owed me explanations for some of their choices. For instance, I learned that every laptop had hidden shares giving access to the entire C drive and they were protected with a universal password. Have connections with somebody that knew the password (I did)? Congrats, you now have carte blanche remote access to any laptop's drive you wanted. A little more social engineering would give you the ability to remotely shut it down, etc. I never used this information for nefarious deeds, but somebody with less scruples could have had a field day. (Though I did play some tricks on my room mate when I first found out - a friend from before college.)

Conezays

Love stuff like this. Thanks for posting OP! Speaking of dial-up SNAFU's, I remember my young self somehow managing to dial the cops accidentally through the Dreamcast dialup. No idea how that happened, haha.

I had always wondered how you could get dial up working without using a phone line, I guess in some sense the equipment needed makes it easier to find the last dial up ISP on earth...

I also totally forgot PC and DC PSO populations could play each other. Everybody on schtserv shared lobbies I believe.

But BB gradually killed the Ep 1&2 population. I didn't know the BB population was so dire these days (when I last played it was 4:3 and materials didn't stack...). I don't think schtserv ever got Ep III fully working for Gamecube (but if they did Dolphin emulates BBA now so you can avoid the pricey hardware there)

Slermy

I I don't think schtserv ever got Ep III fully working for Gamecube (but if they did Dolphin emulates BBA now so you can avoid the pricey hardware there)

I'd love for Episode III to work one of these days. A friend and I spent a lot of time in there.

I was going to try and set up my copy of PSO on DC but it was to much work. Not to mention last I heard the community was dead(not sure if true). I got the GC version instead and play that from time to time. :p

Ferr986

I also totally forgot PC and DC PSO populations could play each other. Everybody on schtserv shared lobbies I believe.

Oh, Didnt know that! Also, didnt know Schthack supported PSO PC (although thinking about it, it seems logic seeing as how it supports BB).

Remember playing a lot of BB over there. Good times.

Wish I could join in on Dreamcast but don't have one. Maybe I'll try and grab a GameCube copy at some point. Anyone know if GameCube modems are easy to come by?

kunonabi

Damn, I can't get the wireless bridge setup again since I keep getting my primary router gui instead of the DD-WRT gui when I type in my IP address. I really wish my mom hadn't switched to this new piece of shit router.

TRI Mike

That's really cool but seems a bit too complicated to get it running again. Cheers to everyone doing it though, it's always nice to see old games getting love.

I remember doing this a few years back with a much simpler setup using just Windows native tools and an old computer still packing an internal US Robotics 56k modem. Just setting this thing up is part of the fun lol

tsab

I remember playing PSOv1 and going to IRC with the my DC, great memories.
Now I have a broadband adapter.

The original system, in japan, launched with a 33 kps modem, while we in the west were lucky to get a bundled 56k modem.

Not true, we in Europe got the 33k modems (gotta push the old 33k modem stock, heh sega?), sega never upgraded them in the PAL DCs

Top Bottom