• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter |OT| A first person murder mystery (PC)

peakish

headerptlv1.png

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
(or, that other niche ghost game no one's talking about)
Developer: The Astronauts
Release date: 25th of September 2014 (PC Windows), 2015 (PS4)
Web site: ethancartergame.com

What is it?
Inspired by early 20th century horror fiction the developers themselves describe The Vanishing of Ethan Carter as ”a first person mystery game focused on exploration and discovery.” Playing as a private detective you head to the beautiful and derelict location of Red Creek Valley where some brutal murders have occurred, tasked with finding a missing boy and unraveling a trail of mysteries from the past.

The valley is an open location, letting you explore it’s entirety at will. Progression is allegedly non-linear and based on the player figuring out how events took place. An example shown so far is rearranging a crime scene to it’s state before the murder, then marking different stages of it chronologically to finally get a vision of the event as it happened. The game is focusing on immersion and storytelling over inventory management and traditional gameplay, meaning that, thank fuck, there’s no combat in it.

It's not clear to me how the entire game will play out, but to get a better look at what they're aiming for I recommend checking these videos out:
Commented gameplay by a developer
Totalbiscuit streaming a preview build

Purdy graphics
To create a believable world the developers decided to use a technique they call photogrammetry for their graphics. If you’re interested in knowing the details, they have a very nice article on their webpage describing it. To me it sounds similar to what Team Kojima is doing with Metal Gear Solid 5, also with the aim of creating photorealistic graphics.​

Who are The Astronauts?
The studio was created in 2012 by ex-founders of People Can Fly with notable credits on the very much non-mystery games Painkiller and Bulletstorm.​

Purchasing it
The game will be made available for $19.99/18.99€/£14.99 at GOG and Steam. Pre-ordering or buying on the release day (this Thursday) gives you access to a few extras, including the soundtrack, a digital map of the valley and a PDF “Making of” album.

Directly from the developers (only for preordering, disabled after release)
Steam
GOG

Reviews and GAF impressions
Please check out the full posts for more details on the good and the bad.
At a short 3 to 5 hours, Ethan’s adventure is over relatively shortly. But the game is always presenting you with something beautiful to look at, something suspicious to chew on, or some puzzle to solve. It even changes up the mechanics here and there to help keep things feeling fresh, avoiding too much repetition in the more game-y mechanics. This is a game which can be enjoyed by those who want a little meat on the bones they find leaning against a tree in the forest, reminding me a lot more of Ether One (a game you must check out if you enjoy Ethan Carter, by the way) than Dear Esther. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is meant to be taken slowly, absorbed like a good book dripping with detail. The ending may not exactly be the most surprising and some may find themselves a little disappointed. But the journey towards it is full of heart and imagination. Much in the way that Ethan Carter himself is.

I just finished. 5.0 hours according to Steam, but I suck at games so a reasonable person should be able to finish it in 3 or 3.5. I spent a LOT of time backtracking to finish stuff I missed the first time.

Overall impressions: If you like detective stories and outdoor atmosphere, you'll probably like this. If you liked Alan Wake but hated the combat, I'm guessing you'll like this (I haven't played the Alan Wake games). If you liked Dear Esther but wished it had even some mild puzzle elements, you'll probably like this.

Overall, I loved it and I think it's a serious contender for GOTY for me right now.

Finished it after 4 hours with a lot of backtracking and exploring. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the length and size of the game. I know it's an indie game but I didn't realize it was this short, especially with a description like "The game offers an open world and a non-linear progression." Kind of paints the wrong picture imo.

Still, despite that it's still great for what it is. Definitely a fun experience, $20 is a bit steep though.

The game is gorgeous and the premise is interesting, but it doesn't build on the investigation/puzzle solving gameplay in any meaningful way. Once you've finished the first investigation, you've essentially seen all the game has to offer. The writing was decent, but there wasn't really enough of it, and the voice acting wasn't strong enough to really sell the characters in the limited time we had with them. If we're going to compare walk-em-ups, Gone Home has much better environmental storytelling, Dear Esther has much better writing and the Stanley Parable is far more ambitious.

On the bright side, it's got one of the best dynamic soundtracks I've ever heard.

Overall, sadly, I am not a fan of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I wish I was, as a lot of the components that make up the whole are very attractive to me; it's gorgeous to look at, rich with atmosphere, and the heart of the mystery being told is compelling and interesting.

*screenshots*

For one thing, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter leaves you with several amazing memories; moments that you will want to talk to your friends about for hours and will take great pains not to spoil for other people. The fact it packs those so painlessly into a three-hour game while other developers create empty works that take ten times as long to complete speaks volumes. And it leaves you with things to contemplate.
— Eurogamer

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a stirring tale that walks a fine line between the human and the supernatural. As the layers begin to peel back, what you'll find is a story told with a level of cleverness and elegance rarely seen in games. It confirms the feeling you had from the first breathtaking view; when you enter into Red Creek Valley, you're in for something special.
— Gamespot

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter strikes a firm balance between telling players a story and giving them the right amount to do in order to feel invested. While the puzzles aren't very complex, they provide just enough engagement to make me feel like more than a glorified cameraman, which is by far the biggest pitfall for a narrative-driven experience (outside of a crappy narrative, obviously). The twist at the end is fairly limp, but until that point, an engaging mystery is dribbled into the player's head, one bubbling with Cthulhu-inspired creepiness. It's just a shame that the game's strongest points also make me wish I was playing a different game entirely.
— The Escapist

After this first murder scene, though, it’s downhill. Subsequent scenes have more obvious solutions, and the buzz gained from filling in the blanks dissipates. The driving force is not the puzzles, but the vague narrative and the beautifully constructed atmosphere - it is what those who are bored by it will undoubtedly call a “walking simulator”.
— PCGames N

That annoyance—I won't say it was minor, because it wasn't—was about the only thing I didn't enjoy about The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Visually, it's spectacular. It's tense and the mysteries are enjoyable to solve even when they're not that hard. The voice acting is decent, and while I don't think the story paid off in spectacular fashion, I found it intriguing, mostly satisfying, and most importantly, wonderfully restrained.
— PC Gamer

Whoa, I did not realize this was a 20$ game. I always expected it to be a full price title, probably just going by how absolutely beautiful it looked in previews.
Everything about this, from gameplay and visuals to story and the technology used to create the world is absolutely intriguing.

Bummer that it's 2015 for PS4 release. This was one of the many interesting games shown at Gamescom. Oh well, I'll pick this up on PC when it comes out.

Shredderi

Oh it's releasing this week already? Awesome. I've been totally aware of this game but thought for some reason that it was a 2015 title on all platforms. I know what I'll be doing on thursday.

Li Kao

I loved the Gamescom trailer and games like Dear Esther and The Walking Dead convinced me of the interest of games light on gameplay as long as the writing is good.
So day 0.

That being said can anyone tell me if the game is, how can I put it, fully 3d or "on rail" ? I don't know, with this level of graphic quality and looking at the trailer, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the player movements are 'limited'. Then again maybe not, and then again, as long as the story and mood is good...

Shredderi

Happens in so many games but it's totally wrong and irrealistic.

Haha no arguments on the realism aspect of course, but I seriously didn't even think about it when playing dead space, which in itself is weird because I usually notice these things, whether they bother me or not. I do prefer to have "the hand" to be present in games like Ethan Carter though. Like already mentioned, it propably has some budgetary reasons too. They'd have to animate so many hand motions etc. for many different buttons,levers etc.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes i know and i totally disagree with their opinion. I hate when a character do some some basic actions without animation, like open a door and this door is locked and no animation occur in this timeframe (silent hill series like example?). Ruin the immersion, for me.

I don't wholly agree with the reasoning of "your mind picks up on the fact that they're not your hands"; the bigger problem, I feel, is that full-body awareness is difficult to get right and any incongruities immediately and glaringly stand out. Speaking personally, the "floating camera" approach is something that doesn't really come to mind while playing, even when stacking boxes in Half-Life 2 -- it's just one of those things my mind quickly accepts as "normal" since there's no potential for inconsistency or odd behaviour, so I can understand why it's preferable to a potentially iffy full-body system.

peakish

I don't think there's any official word on game length so far, but I'd imagine that it can vary a lot depending on how much you explore around. Totalbiscuit spent one hour running on and around the first crime scene, it could probably have been solved in fifteen minutes by someone not reading stream comments or looking around at the graphics.

I loved the Gamescom trailer and games like Dear Esther and The Walking Dead convinced me of the interest of games light on gameplay as long as the writing is good.
So day 0.

That being said can anyone tell me if the game is, how can I put it, fully 3d or "on rail" ? I don't know, with this level of graphic quality and looking at the trailer, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the player movements are 'limited'. Then again maybe not, and then again, as long as the story and mood is good...
No worries, it's all fully explorable. The only limit to walking around are natural obstacles.

Any confirmation on if the PC version has controller support?
I believe it does, this is taken from the options screen:
tumblr_inline_nbbx9pdk5l1sy9dzu.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any confirmation on if the PC version has controller support?

Partial controller support is listed on the store page. Typically this means that there's an element that requires the kb&m (e.g. a launcher), however it's the default setting for +controller support so it's not uncommon for a developer to forget to correct it, as is almost assuredly the case here.

cheezcake

I believe it does, this is taken from the options screen:

Partial controller support is listed on the store page. Typically this means that there's an element that requires the kb&m (e.g. a launcher), however it's the default setting for controller support so it's not uncommon for a developer to forget to correct it, as is almost assuredly the case here.

=D

With this and watching the preview video looks like a definite buy.

Vuze

The only thing that would make this better is if it had Rift support.
Yeah, I think they actually considered it but so far the dev(s) haven't replied to the thread I opened about it on the Steam forums (which gets regularly bumped). :|

Denton

I wanted to get this day 1, but Wasteland 2, man...

Still I probably won't be able to resist. Looks so stunning.

Weetrick

Super excited for this game.
- Good dev team (People Can Fly)
- I love the setting
- Great price
- Perfect release timing - Early Fall/Halloween release matches the game's setting, but it's early enough to avoid the holiday rush competition.

I really hope it turns out well!

dreamfall

The game looks so beautiful. I can't wait to just wander around, it feels like fall. I hope it's also unnerving, as it is about murder. Can't wait!

I know I shouldn't turn down game, because of its creator, but I just can't stand Adrian Chmielarz. Through whole Bulletsorm campaign he was so full of himself that as for now, I can't be hyped for any of his creations.

tim.mbp

Release date really snuck up on me. Can't wait to sink my teeth into it.

I know I shouldn't turn down game, because of its creator, but I just can't stand Adrian Chmielarz. Through whole Bulletsorm campaign he was so full of himself that as for now, I can't be hyped for any of his creations.

Great first post!

peakish

I don't know what he was saying back then, but I can sympathise with being turned off by a creator.

Oh man, SO excited for this! Lovecraftian games are my favorite games and they are so few and far between. Wish this had a console release this week, totally not waiting for that though!

I love the sort of weird fiction this game is trying to emulate, so I'm really looking forward to it. Hoping they can get the mood and atmosphere down right.

Top Bottom