• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam now has over 100 million monthly active accounts

kswiston

I wonder how many are Steam exclusive.

PC Gamers who play the sorts of games that GAF cares about? I'd guess few refuse outright to buy a game that isn't on Steam, but at least half buy 90%+ of their games on Steam (or at least buy Steam keys elsewhere).

Buggy Loop

That's a lot of users publishers shouldn't ignore.

Just by knowing that we'll get the MGS series & Silent hills, im starting to have hope in console developers to stop ignoring one of the biggest market. Capcom has to port Dragon's dogma and Atlus has to start looking at it. Hell, everyone!.

belmonkey

I was expecting them to come out with that it had reached 80 million at some point, or maybe 90; didn't expect it to just jump to 100. Conveniently, when comparing hardware from Steam hardware surveys now, 1% is now 1 million people.

Josh7289

Does active mean "signed into Steam in the last 30 days" or "played a game on Steam in the last 30 days"?

Because the latter would be far more impressive.

Kinthalis

Banned
I was expecting them to come out with that it had reached 80 million at some point, or maybe 90; didn't expect it to just jump to 100. Conveniently, when comparing hardware from Steam hardware surveys now, 1% is now 1 million people.

Nope.

This is ACTIVE accounts, which Steam considers anyone who has purchased games and were active online within the past 30 days.

The INSTALL base is MUCH larger, and that's more representative of the hardware numbers. Same goes for sales, as the ARS article on Steam sales strongly suggested.

It used to be about 140 million accounts, it's probaly up to 180-200 million by now.

HariKari

Only going to keep going up as Valve does it better than anybody else at the moment. Imagine when the inevitable big releases hit...

Anyone extrapolate the current growth over the next 6-12 months?

Ramstein

Banned
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! New Steam website?!?!? Oh mannnnnnnnnnnn just when I was starting to absolutely love the old one. That's twice now that VALVe has changed something people loved in favor for something completely new. The last time was in 2003 when they burned the World Opponent Network to the ground in order to build up Steam. ;)

Wow, remember when steam was a shitty launcher for valve games? Amazing how far they've come.

Yes. Yes I do. R.I.P. W.O.N.

Also, mandatory #PCGamingIsDead

epmode

The definition of "active" isn't given, it's a PR number.

Active = The account was signed in to at least once in the last 30 days. It's a far more concrete metric than anything from Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo.

And you shouldn't directly compare numbers from Valve to numbers from a console because the metrics aren't the same. The interesting and relevant statistic is the growth in active Steam accounts over time.

Anyone who made an account that one time to grab a free game counts as active unless they go into their startup programs and remove steam. Most people have no idea how to do that. So basically, if you have turned on your computer and been online in the past 30 days you are active.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
That's a lot of users publishers shouldn't ignore.

That's a lot of titles (major) publishers have to compete against.
That's a lot of cheap titles (major)publishers can't afford to compete against.

Why compete against 1300 titles/indie publishers, when I can compete against 5 publishers and maybe 15 titles per month at retail?

I can buy signage in stores to raise awarness and have sales managers mention/incentivize my titles to casual shoppers with pre order swag at retail... i can't do any of that on Steam

dhlt25

You'd think Riot's pay to win model would get people to stop playing, but somehow it doesn't get in the way.

How is Riot's model pay to win? You don't get any advantage in game from store items and by the time you can play rank, you should have enough IP to own a sizeable amount of champs to make bans not much of an issue.

Usobuko

Banned
You'd think Riot's pay to win model would get people to stop playing, but somehow it doesn't get in the way.

As a avid player of moba ( though I don't play much these days ) and witnessing Dota growth since 5.84c, I think it is more of a case of Valve/Icefrog losing that first mover advantage. It's a bit like the 'first to 10 millions' console quote, especially more so for a social game and with mechanics that once learnt will likely put you off on similar game in the same genre.

Top Bottom