• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Carolina state trooper shoots unarmed man as he reaches for his license

Status
Not open for further replies.

FartOfWar

Banned
http://www.wltx.com/story/news/loca...leased-of-trooper-involved-shooting/16187305/

Video at link.

"Jones, who was injured in the hip, stumbles away from the vehicle. He throws up his hands and can be heard asking Groubert "what did I do" and "what did I do sir?"

"The charges were brought by the Fifth Circuit Solicitor's office, which reviewed the findings of an investigation into the incident conducted by the State Law Enforcement Division.

A warrant states that audio and visual recordings, as well as written statements, indicate the shooting was without justification."

commedieu

Banned
Its like south fucking park at this fucking point.

Shot, and still apologizing. Such a sad fucking state of fucking things in this fucking country.

Cyan

Banned
Department of Public Safety Director Leroy Smith fired Groubert September 19th after observing the video and reviewing a report from the State Law Enforcement Division.

wat

In the officer's defense he couldn't be sure that the suspect wasn't Gambit.

image.png

Its like they caught a unicorn on video. Because this is exactly how shit goes down. People always say "Lol, thats not true, the officer (reasons)" Even this one.. well..

lets just wait and see.

Cop shoved a gun in my friends face when he spotted an unloaded gun on his backseat that was fully legal. I was in passenger seat, he saw it, jammed the gun literally on his temple and was yelling "DON'T YOU FUCKING TOUCH IT! DON'T TOUCH IT!" He "apologized" and let him go with a warning for speeding. No idea how we didn't die that night.

phaonaut

Wow the speed at which that escalated, barely 3secs from the word license to gun fire.

My mom told me always tell police officers of my every movement, because they might shoot me for getting my wallet. I wonder if thats a black thing or if everyone gets told that.

markot

Banned
Um...... Well someone did my gambit joke. So this is just horrible I guess.

Why are police so scared?

Oh, he was black.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
He called the cop "sir" after that? Whatwhatwhat...

Wow the speed at which that escalated, barely 3secs from the word license to gun fire.

My mom always told me always tell police officers of my every movement, because they might shoot me for getting my wallet. I wonder if thats a black thing or if everyone gets told that.

I always do this and I'm white. "Officer, my wallet is in my back pocket, I'm gonna grab that now, ok?"

Look at that ROE??? It's easy to see in most of these cases how those cops are approaching civilians is hostile, but subtly, beyond the law's ability to characterize as such since body language is so subtle and voice tones do not come out clearly in stenography or eyewitness testimony.

To imply that individuals are not subconsciously aware of body language and tone is a massive legal oversight. Hostility is not just consequences, it is intention.

Somehow, police are railroading themselves into deadly confrontations with their current ROE with suspects. Change it?

TLDRSMH

Officer fucked up.

Civilian dude move kinda fast back into his car. But the officer shouldn't be that scared of a black man.

He could have dove back behind his squad car for protection.

CDX

...wait ...the cop was charged AND fired. Well I wasn't expecting that.

I guess that's somesort of progress

JDSN

Banned
Its impressive how its so hardcoded into this black dude to continue raising his hands and continue calling that asshole "sir", I would have panicked for sure. Not as impressive at the cash coming to this cops's way tho.

Goddamn. Just an honest guy following directions...then BOOM.

Thank goodness this was caught on camera. Otherwise the victim would be going to jail.

This almost happened to my brother years ago.

He was pulled over because he had been speeding (and he may have had someone else with him, can't remember), and the officer asked for his license. My brother reached for the glove department (where his licence was), and the officer immediately pulled a gun on him, and ordered him out of the car. I think the "official" reason was that he thought my brother could've been reaching for a gun.

I've always thought the officer was being super twitchy for it to ever come to that, but after everything that's happened in Ferguson and the Walmart shooting... well, my brother is really tanned, even back then, plus his hair was black. It made a lot of people in our school wonder if we were half brothers/step-brothers because of how different we looked. I'm really starting to wonder if the officer back then pulled his gun like that because he thought my brother was black.

markot

Banned
How often are some of you stopped by cops?

Im a white fella in Australia and ive had one random alcohol test >.< And I didnt narrate my actions.

Cops dont like sudden movements, especially when they cant see your hands. All it takes is an asshat like this guy to get yourself dead.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Shitlord cop. You'd think people reaching into their car after you ask them to get something (which may be in their car) would happen frequently enough that you'd have a way to respond (slow down, stop, etc.) besides shooting them.

How often are some of you stopped by cops?

Im a white fella in Australia and ive had one random alcohol test >.< And I didnt narrate my actions.

Not much anymore, but from age 18-22 I would say it ranged from weekly to monthly. I was stopped A LOT. They'd search my car and not even ask. Pull me over without reason. "Are you high? Are there drugs in the car? Step out and sit on the curb/in the back of the police car please."

I can only imagine the public statements and press conferences if this video didn't exist.

"Mr. Jones then somersaulted Matrix-style into his car, grabbed a suspicious object, and looked like he was about to jump onto Officer Groubert's vehicle and punch through the windshield, as seen in The Terminator."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom