• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Front Games handling Sleeping Dogs:DE, 1080p30fps PS4/XB1, Brief hands on VG

Kayant

United Front Games is handling both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions itself, Square confirmed, with the power of the next-gen consoles apparently letting the developer squeeze in 25 per cent more NPCs onto Hong Kong's city streets.

That said, the frame rate of the PS4 version did appear to dip slightly during moments of intense action, although with optimisation still underway, it's impossible to determine whether the issues will still be present in the final game.

VideoGamer.com has not yet been given access to the Xbox One version for comparison.

Comparison to X360 version/Impressions from hands on(Youtube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGUceG0yUPg&channel=VideoGamerTV

More here - http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/sleep..._is_1080p_30fps_on_both_ps4_and_xbox_one.html

Lock if old.

Liamario

Banned
It runs at a fairly solid 60fps on my 7850, so to hear they've locked it to 30fps for the sake of a few textures is disappointing. I personally found the game to be a lot more enjoyable at 60fps due to the arcade style gameplay. I'm not seeing anything in that trailer that justifies 30fps.

That said, the frame rate of the PS4 version did appear to dip slightly during moments of intense action

LOL ridiculous.

Wiseblood

Not really a great comparison video when all the current gen footage was in the rain with wet pavement and all the last gen footage had dry pavement.

BigDug13

Not really a great comparison video when all the current gen footage was in the rain with wet pavement and all the last gen footage had dry pavement.

It's the Videogame equivalent to the "before and after" shots where the customer is smiling in the after shot and frowning in the before shot.

UnrealEck

That's a rather lazy comparison. I will be surprised if it is 30 FPS. This game runs quite well on something like a Radeon 7850.

Game went from moderately interested to no thanks- why pay 60 bucks for this?

I'm interested in seeing how it compares to the PC version.

game runs at 1080p at a constant 60 fps on a decent pc- not to mention its been 5-15 bucks on the regular for a while. with all dlc included. :/

In my opinion the game wasn't interesting enough to play again because it's been up-ported but the fact it's not even a good port is seriously scary.

Even mid-range cards can handle the PC version at 60fps nowadays... Disappointing.

Also comparing it to 360 version? Please.

Nixxes am cry. They did a pretty good job with TR:DE for PS4 and PC. United Front's Xbox One version wasn't so hot, but then hard to tell who's fault that was.

Lets hope they turn out something decent.

Why didn't Nixxes do the PS4 port? They got Tomb Raider DE to 1080p60fps. UFG handled the Xbone port and they got stuck with 30fps. 30fps for a last gen port, ridiculous. DE barely looks better than the original version.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This will be budget priced so fast the publisher will be crying. I fully expect this on PS+/GwG within 6 months.

Upgrades aren't enough for me to buy this again, plus I did pretty much everything first time around and there really isn't that much to do in the world. Might get it, if it becomes part of GWG or PS+ in the future.

Dr Dogg

Well that's a tad odd seeing as my old moderately overclocked Q6600 and SLI GTX480 combo ran the originial PC version bar Extreme AA at 1920x1080 in the 70ish region. Even a single 480 turning down their SSAO implementation as well and further AA cutbacks was good for in and around 60fps.

Oh and for everyone mentioning Nixxes and Tomb Raider, I'd imagine it because they handled the original PC port where as Crystal Dyanamics did the PS3 and 360 versions. Every version of Sleeping Dogs released have been done by United Front Games as it's their in house engine.

The new rain effects look good (and as others said make the comparison useless) but I don't see much changing in lighting, shadows, or the character models. In fact I don't know if I could even see any difference in character models in a Youtube video... original console versions already had great face models and this video didn't really look any different. And I would have preferred 60 FPS I think.. I'm OK with 30 FPS for something perhaps more cinematic like GTA (slightly less arcade-y driving) but SD is pretty twitchy. I'm still Day 1 regardless just because I'm too fan of a SD/open world fan and I still play SD to this day, so I'll get value out of it regardless of price... but doesn't really look like a $60 upgrade so far based the standard other games are not setting.

JayEH

Can't believe this is full price. Full price for a 2 year old game that already has a PC version.

thuway

What? My 2011 Vaio laptop equipped with a GT540M runs the game at 1080p@30 fps or more.

This is a tiny bit hard to believe. I played the game on a GTX 460m, and I eeked out some decent performance at 720p 30 with bells and whistles. You must have sacrificed a lot to run it like that consistently with no dips.

gdt

I ran this game 60 fps no problem 2 years ago. I have zero interest in buying this, I'll do ps plus though. I really enjoyed the game, but not really looking to replay it.

Namikaze

sounds incredibly disappointing for a next gen up port, especially when compared to the pc version. Will stick with the PS3 version (PS Plus) for the forseable future if I feel like replaying it I guess.

For a guy who fully supports Definitive/Remaster editions coming to PS4/ONE, I'm disappointed that this game can't even run at 60fps especially with that $60 price tag. I guess that if SD can't even hit 60fps then GTA V most likely won't.

I'll buy it, but I'll wait till it's like $20-30, seems fair since I didn't play the DLC's

jbueno

This is a tiny bit hard to believe. I played the game on a GTX 460m, and I eeked out some decent performance at 720p 30 with bells and whistles. You must have sacrificed a lot to run it like that consistently with no dips.

Played at high settings, FXAA, 16xAA, but I did put shadows on low if I recall correctly. My laptop also has an i7 processor of that era @2.8 gHz, perhaps that helped as well.

Looks a lot like the PC version maxed out..... Only things that seem to have been upgraded are the car models and the streets themselves. Granted, it is only a portion of the game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wait, what? this was the same company that did the X1 port for DE?

Yes. They worked on the XB1 port, and Nixxes(bless their souls) worked on the PS4 port.

I'm assuming they figured rushing this out to market with some small small changes, all DLC and higher PC settings was enough.

Compared to GTA5 remastered, this looks like a joke by comparison. Low resolution textures everywhere, no upgraded character models, the car handling is still terrible...man.

Radec

I'm still
KuGsj.gif
at the $60 price

The gap is closed

The gap overlapped.

Xbone Superior Version Confirmed.

no upgraded character models
yeah, i don't really see it either. UFG says they upgraded them but i don't notice much difference. maybe the clothing looks a bit better? the video did seem to think a jacket was improved so maybe some of the clothing has noticeably improved textures.

that'd be good... the faces already looked great so that mostly just needed better lighting. but better clothes would be great. best thing about the character models other than the faces in cutscenes was the damage model (namely blood and bruises) to your body... so more realistic tank tops to get all bloody would be a great addition.

we'll see though when it arrives. wonder if Winston Chu will look even more real... I have a friend who's the spitting image of Winston right down to the dyed hair, clothing, and arm tattoos. even fits the steroids joke and drives an X6 (admittedly more of a Chinese stereotype than a HK/SD stereotype). sort of made me care about the SD story even more in an odd familiarity sort of way.

sometimes i'm surprised SD wasn't made by a HK developer. I mean, Vancouver has Richmond but... SD gets so many stereotypes and details right.

Top Bottom