• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cop Allegedly Shot Unarmed Man Parked In His Own Driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. (AP) — Ernest Satterwhite was a laid-back former mechanic with a habit of ignoring police officers who tried to pull him over — an act of defiance that ultimately got him killed.

The 68-year-old black great-grandfather was shot to death after a slow-speed chase as he parked in his own driveway, by a 25-year-old white police officer who repeatedly fired through the driver's side door.

Investigators determined that North Augusta Public Safety Officer Justin Craven broke the law. A prosecutor, in a rare action against a police officer, sought to charge him with voluntary manslaughter, punishable by up to 30 years in prison. But the grand jury disagreed, indicting him on a misdemeanor.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/30/ernest-satterwhite-just-craven_n_5907544.html

in advance fuck off to the shithead who thinks he deserved it.

Windam

Scaley member
slow-speed chase... repeatedly fired through the driver's side door.

jNFqw.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
In Satterwhite's case, prosecutors won't say why they sought a felony charge against Craven, who chased Satterwhite for 9 miles, beyond city limits and into Edgefield County.

Experts say it's the first time an officer was charged in a fatal shooting in roughly a decade. But the grand jury opted for "misconduct in office," a charge used for sheriffs who make inmates do their personal work, or officers who ask for bribes. Their single-page indictment, returned in August, contains no details other than accusing Craven of "using excessive force and failing to follow and use proper procedures."
What a load of shit.

DJ_Lae

Ah, a misdemeanor, of course. That's definitely roughly as bad as tagging a wall or trepassing on private property.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU GET A MISDEMEANOR FOR MURDER?! FUCK THIS LEGAL SYSTEM! FUCK IT!!!

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Investigators determined that North Augusta Public Safety Officer Justin Craven broke the law. A prosecutor, in a rare action against a police officer, sought to charge him with voluntary manslaughter, punishable by up to 30 years in prison.

Oh, good.

But the grand jury disagreed, indicting him on a misdemeanor.

Oh, fuck every single one of them.

chased Satterwhite for 9 miles, beyond city limits and into Edgefield County.

Seven months after the funeral, and eight days after his indictment, Craven was put on administrative leave — with pay.

The family says the officers yanked the mortally wounded man out of the car, restrained him and left him on the ground unattended until paramedics arrived.

The State Law Enforcement Division denied requests filed by The Associated Press under the Freedom of Information Act to learn what evidence was gathered against Craven. Solicitor Donnie Myers, who is handling the case, didn't return phone calls. North Augusta Police, the Edgefield County Sheriff's Office and Craven's lawyer, Jack Swerling, declined to comment.

Nothing about this is right.

I don't understand, what would provoke the officer to shoot a man parked in his car? This sounds clearly as anything to be voluntary manslaughter but he gets away with a misdemeanor ... I don't get this at all and it's grinding all the gears in my body.

hipbabboom

I'm reminded about the Whitehouse French jumper and how many times the secret service could have used legal means to bring him down versus how easily police default to lethal force to deal with anything. This is disgusting. Idiot was probably itching to get a kill under his belt.

Famassu

So a SLOW-SPEED chase and this youngster police who had obviously seen too many Hollywood movies decides to start firing at the car? If you had to search for a silver-lining, at least no one else was killed by this dickfuckwit of a police. -_-

Valnen

That grand jury just helped a murderer get away with his crime. Our legal system is finished. And has been for a long time.

Is the grand jury full of kindergarteners? Sheeyiiiiiiiit

Edit
No one deserves to be killed. Only time it's justifiable is if they are trying to kill other people, and they are killed to be stopped. That said, is questioning his actions equated to someone believing he deserved to be shot and killed?

Eeeeeh, no.

Camp Lo

Banned
The family says the officers yanked the mortally wounded man out of the car, restrained him and left him on the ground unattended until paramedics arrived.

Wow. These mother fuckers were just off-the-cuff disrespectful.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The lawsuit alleges Craven ignored the Edgefield deputies' orders to stop and let them manage the chase when it entered their county, about 2 miles from Satterwhite's home. It claims Satterwhite never tried to grab the officer's gun when Craven fired five times, hitting him with four bullets — two in the chest.

For a 68 year old? K.

What is this "habit of ignoring police officers who tried to pull him over" about?

Police records show Satterwhite had been arrested more than a dozen times for traffic violations, most of them for driving under suspension or under the influence. Most of the charges led to convictions. He also was charged at least three times for failing to stop as officers tried to pull him over. But his record shows no evidence he ever physically fought with an officer.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Edgefield County deputies who joined in the chase reported that Craven ran up to Satterwhite's parked car and fired several shots into the driver's side door, telling the other officers that Satterwhite tried to grab his gun. The other officers couldn't get Satterwhite's door open, so they broke the passenger side window, unlocked that door and dragged him out.

"Why would he run up to the car like that?" asked Alpert. "Why would he put himself in a situation to use deadly force? Why would he put his gun close enough for him to grab it?"

I guess claim is their reason for the shooting.

So they basically unload on a dude in his car in his own driveway then drag him out of the car and make sure he dies over some priors

Sounds like business as usual

Malyse

No one deserves to be killed. Only time it's justifiable is if they are trying to kill other people, and they are killed to be stopped. That said, is questioning his actions equated to someone believing he deserved to be shot and killed?

Implying that the cop's actions were in any way justified is what I'm referring to. Cause there's a defense force for every fucking thing.

Mononoke

Banned
Is the grand jury full of kindergarteners? Sheeyiiiiiiiit

Edit

Eeeeeh, no.

I'm kind of torn on it. I mean, everytime a situation happens, you want to look at everyone involved and what their actions were. Although IMO in most of the cases I read about where someone didn't comply with the police, there was still no justification for the police shooting them and killing them. Killing someone for not complying is not justifiable. A cop should only shoot someone if the person is trying to kill them or others (ie. they are an actual threat).

Implying that the cop's actions were in any way justified is what I'm referring to. Cause there's a defense force for every fucking thing.

Yeah sorry I regret making that post tbh. As I said in my edited post, I think you have to look at this in proper context.

I. The guy might be living in an area where cops are blatantly racist and are constantly harassing people over their skin color (so then his acts of defiance start to make more sense, vs him just randomly deciding to not cooperate).

II. Even if he did not cooperate, the act of shooting and killing him really isn't justified.

SO...I really can't even see a point in saying "but but..he didn't cooperate". I don't even really see a point in talking about his actions. Because clearly the cops are in the wrong here.

Lum1n3s

So many lives were saved because of this hero, think of all the people that evil, evil man could've injured with that car of his!

Did I do the sarcasm thing right GAF?

hipbabboom

The actions are not in question here. Its clearly stated what the victim did. Unless you are exploring the idea that the punishment fit the crime then talk about the situation as it exists.

Mononoke

Banned
The actions are not in question here. Its clearly stated what the victim did. Unless you are exploring the idea that the punishment fit the crime then talk about the situation as it exists.

Yeah I edited my post. Their actions of shooting and killing him can't be justified even if he didn't cooperate (as he wasn't a threat to anyone). So even talking about his actions is irrelevant (with regards to the end result).

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
So many lives were saved because of this hero, think of all the people that evil, evil man could've injured with that car of his!

Did I do the sarcasm thing right GAF?
Would have been perfect without the hint in the spoiler.

Chariot

ctrl + f "black"

Mhm, figured.
Seriously, even if the old man tried to ignore the officier, what he very well may have done given his past, that is no reason to shoot. This is just fucked up. Again.

Lamel

Banned
What even is a slow speed chase...for 9 miles.

The dude didn't deserve to be shot and killed, the cop is totally in the wrong. But what was he thinking by not pulling over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom