• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A to Z |OT| A Romantic Comedy about a Copywriter With One Nipple and a Dead Mother

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

uUA1AUz.jpg

"A to Z" tells the story of Andrew (Ben Feldman, "Mad Men," "The Mindy Project") and Zelda (Cristin Milioti, "The Wolf of Wall Street," "How I Met Your Mother") - a pair that almost wasn't - and all that happened from the day they met.

Andrew and Zelda will date for eight months, three weeks, five days and one hour. This program is a comprehensive account of their relationship - from "A to Z."

Ben Queen ("Drive"), Rashida Jones ("Parks and Recreation"), Will McCormack ("Celeste & Jesse Forever"), Bill Callahan ("Psych") and Michael Patrick Jann ("Reno 911!") serve as executive producers. Queen wrote the pilot, which was directed by Jann. "A to Z" is a production of Warner Bros. Television and Le Train Train Productions.

Cast
h3pCGXd.png

Ben Feldman as Andrew Lofland

uh0G4vd.png

Cristin Milioti as Zelda Vasco

DniC0lQ.png

• Henry Zebrowski as Stu
  • Lenora Crichlow as Stephie
  • Christina Kirk as Lydia
  • Hong Chau as Lora
  • Parvesh Cheena as Dinesh

and Katey Sagal as the narrator

A to Z premieres on Thursday 2 October, 2014 on NBC at 9:30/8:30c.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
lol @ the title.

I liked the pilot so I'll be tuning in next week for episode 2.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When i saw Nararator i thought the same.
I just reread the synopsis and it really does look like they want to capture lighting in a bottle here. I am looking forward to more Cristin though. We didn't get enough of her and she seems like my favorite quirky type. I'll give it a shot.

Edit: Wait, it's tonight. Hmm. Interesting.

TripOpt55

I liked the pilot. The leads seem really charming. I like the framing device and narration. The friends are terrible (the dude's friend reminds me a bit too much of Bruce from Mixology). Seems like it could be a cute romcom in TV form. Though I can't imagine it being half as interesting as You're the Worsts take on this sort of thing.

TripOpt55

I watched the second one. Didn't like it as much as the pilot. I think this has a clever setup but isn't very funny. I'm generally finding all the supporting cast pretty blah too.

Asbel

Funny. Manhattan Love Story also addressed the subject of dating mulitple people on their second episode. They both also mentioned Tinder.

Prologue

i enjoyed this ep a bit more than the first one actually.

Zelda is really cute, I think she could be america's next sweetheart imo.

beat

That second episode was so good. This show is so good. Its numbers make me so sad.

Really? I cringed through about 80% of it. This show isn't remotely a patch on You're The Worst, and I really want to like A to Z.

I dislike the boss character, the male sidekick, kinda dislike the female sidekick, and this ep had hands-down the worst ever misunderstanding-caused-by-innocently-getting-the-third-party-date's-shirt-off. Is that a trope? It probably is.

The license plate thing was good.

I think in general for me the show's tone veers between sitcommy and more real in a jarring way.

infi

I'm enjoying this so far. The two leads are pretty cute together, I'm just not sold on the bearded best mate.

TripOpt55

I liked this one a lot more than Episode 2 which was a real dud. The boss is really terrible. If they cut her storylines altogether I'd be fine.

SuperPac

Like the show a lot - much better/stronger start than Marry Me at least in the eyes of my wife and I. Hopefully it's done OK in the ratings at least to finish (or skip to) the Z. The concept's pretty good, the characters feel like they have good chemistry, and the occasional geek humor that seeps its way in is appreciated. :D The whole Back to the Future thing in the pilot got me.

SuperPac

Halloween episode was great. Really funny. This show is probably going to get canceled huh? (No one else is watching this? C'mon GAF...)

maxcriden

If you want spoilers on where the show's heading, ivy was giving them out over in the TV cancellation thread a day or two ago.

BTW, if you like this show and haven't seen the movie (500) Days of Summer, you'd probably love that movie.

beat

A to Z irritates me more with each new episode. At this point the only reason I haven't dropped it is because the cancelation news gives it a finite amount of episodes left.

Everything about this show except for the central couple is bad. ... Okay, and the tech nerd ex-couple tertiary characters aren't bad. Stu and Lydia are the worst, and they get way more screen time than A+Z (together) ever do.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Bumping this thread.

Wow, NBC was quick to cancel this. But fuck them, they wouldn't know how to promote a decent comedy if there was a giant button that read "PRESS HERE TO MAKE YOUR COMEDY A HIT" adorned on the desk of every dumbass NBC exec.

I liked this show a lot. It reminded me of Better Off Ted and Go On, but with the romance already underway. How unfortunate both Ben Feldman and Cristin Milioti couldn't end up at a better network.

beat

I liked this show a lot. It reminded me of Better Off Ted and Go On, but with the romance already underway.
I've mostly been incredibly disappointed with this show, but I want to talk about this anyways.

1) not sure I see any resemblance to Go On.

2) Lydia (Big Bird) is very reminiscent of BOT's Veronica, but IMO very much the dime store version. I'm not even sure why that is. Both bosses have a spacy disconnection from reality and have a semi-plausible internal logic to their dumb ideas. Both have unshakeable confidence. But something about the difference between the two shows' similar characters makes Veronica awesome and Lydia terrible.

Also, Stu is The Worst and he's also all over the Wallflower plots. BOT didn't have a Stu.

I would say the two techie characters are a decent knockoff of BOT's Lem and Phil.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Everything outside of the leads on A to Z is terrible. I'm not even upset about it being cancelled at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom