• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gracepoint (U.S. Remake of Broadchurch/BBC) - David Tennant, Anna Gunn - 9/8C FOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
gracepoint-trailer-1.jpg

Starting up right now! I started the BBC show Broadchurch last year but never finished, weird that they remade it for the US, but I will show up to finish it and for Tennant!

http://www.fox.com/gracepoint/

Details:
When a young boy is found dead on an idyllic beach, a major police investigation gets underway in the small northern California seaside town where the tragedy occurred. Soon deemed a homicide, the case turns neighbor against neighbor and sparks a media frenzy, which throws the boy's family into further turmoil and upends the lives of the town's residents.

Welcome to GRACEPOINT, a new 10-episode mystery event series based on “Broadchurch,” the U.K.'s critically acclaimed hit crime drama. GRACEPOINT is an expansion of the original series, introducing new characters, identifying new suspects and threading new storylines through the gripping narrative that will end when secrets are revealed and the killer is caught.

Leading the investigation is Detective EMMETT CARVER (David Tennant, “Broadchurch,” “Dr. Who”), who has just arrived in Gracepoint to fill a high position in the town's police force. That job previously had been promised to Detective ELLIE MILLER (Emmy Award winner Anna Gunn, “Breaking Bad”), who, in light of the tragedy, must put any resentment aside and work the case with her prickly new boss. Det. Miller must break the news of the crime to her doting husband, JOE (Josh Hamilton, “American Horror Story”), and her son, TOM (newcomer Jack Irvine), who was the best friend of the murder victim, DANNY SOLANO (guest star Nikolas Filipovic, “Falling Skies”).

Danny is survived by his grieving parents, MARK (Michael Peña, “End of Watch”) and BETH SOLANO (Virginia Kull, “Boardwalk Empire”), and his rebellious older sister, CHLOE (newcomer Madalyn Horcher), who has an older boyfriend, DEAN IVERSON (Kendrick Sampson, “The Vampire Diaries”), unbeknownst to her parents.

All of Gracepoint is pulled into the investigation, including JACK REINHOLD (Emmy Award nominee and Golden Globe Award winner Nick Nolte, “Luck”), a private man who runs the kayak rental service on the beach, as well as the local wildlife observation program, for which Danny volunteered; and SUSAN WRIGHT (Academy Award and Golden Globe Award nominee Jacki Weaver, “Silver Linings Playbook”), a mysterious woman, who lives in the RV park near the coast, with her dog. The town's minister, PAUL COATES (Kevin Rankin, “Justified”), becomes the de facto spokesperson for the community as the media descends on Gracepoint. Danny's death also impacts tourism, with the decline in visitors felt most harshly by hotel owner GEMMA FISHER (Sarah-Jane Potts, “Kinky Boots,”), a vivacious Brit with secrets of her own. Also touched by Danny's death is Mark's apprentice at his plumbing company, VINCE NOVIK (Stephen Louis Grush, “Lucky 7”).

The investigation is followed closely by the town's local newspaper reporter, OWEN BURKE (Kevin Zegers, “Transamerica”), who is Det. Miller's nephew. Owen's ambition is fueled by San Francisco Globe reporter RENEE CLEMONS (Jessica Lucas, “Cloverfield”), who has a history with Det. Carver and sets up camp in Gracepoint to cover the case.

The riveting crime series carves a powerfully dark wake through the town of Gracepoint with a startling conclusion, as the detectives piece together what happened on the night of Danny's death.

Toa TAK

Banned
I remember seeing a teaser for this months and months ago where it was just the boy's body on the beach.

That's all I've seen of this, but that and the leads have me pumped for this tonight.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Damn, I don't think I've ever seen an OT put up in the middle of a premiere before. That can't be a good sign, can it?

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
The BBC version (also starring Tennant) was very well received. Should be decent at least!

Saw it, and liked it well enough, but beyond the mild curiosity, I just don't know if I'll be able to motivate myself to watch this version. I'm guessing I'm not alone.

TehOh

Broadchurch was amazing. I'll have to eventually check out the American version, but I am completely baffled by its existence, and especially baffled that it also stars David Tennant.

They said they've changed the end, but I hope it also diverges more throughout the story, otherwise it seems especially pointless.

DarkFlow

Banned
Not digging it so far. I wish they hadn't tried a shot for shot remake. It's not like people didn't see the original over here.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I'll probably watch this show once there are more episodes available. I wouldn't bother sitting week-by-week to watch it since it wasn't all that captivating the first time around.

Huh. Different ending? Hmmm.
Since the original ending was pretty scheiss-ty, I hope they wrote a better one.

Quick

Banned
Broadchurch's ending was questionable. It sort of came out of left field for me, but it added up anyway. I was already set to watch it, but a different ending will definitely be interesting.

David Tennant looks good on the role. The American accent is way better now than in Rex Is Not My Lawyer (cancelled pilot).

Broadchurch is ITV, by the way. Not BBC.

I feel like I know what the changed ending is going to be:

DONT READ THIS IT IS A SPOILER

It is going to be the son instead of the father so that you can maintain the ending at an emotional level for Anna Gunn's character and still be different enough. That way you can still have that scene at the end where she finds out. Otherwise, I hope they do a better job of not making the ending come out of absolutely nowhere where it was the random nice guy husband the whole time.

Qvoth

watched broadchurch few months ago, it was great!

might as well ask this here, i've watched broadchurch, utopia, in the flesh
any other awesome british series worth watching?

I feel like I know what the changed ending is going to be:

DONT READ THIS IT IS A SPOILER

Yeah, that's the only thing that makes sense, but only kind of.

That might be this show's saving grace. I thought the ending of Broadchurch was pretty weak. It felt like it came out of nowhere (too many red herrings and sort of a silly premise).

Yeah, it was, no doubt. But MAJOR SPOILER HERE OH GOD DON'T LOOK
I really just can't see it ending any other way, though, in the grand scheme of things, esp. since you have a heavy hitter like Gunn as the partner.

mujun

I really just can't see it ending any other way, though, in the grand scheme of things, esp. since you have a heavy hitter like Gunn as the partner.

What about
some sort of unveiling of a group of people taking advantage of kids or something
?

That's actually sort of what I thought was going to happen in the original.

What about
some sort of unveiling of a group of people taking advantage of kids or something
?

Would sort of be like Top of the Lake.

But the ending
makes sense because it does swing back to this idea of "how could you not know" and the toll a bombshell takes out of someone. Broadchurch was such a introspective show, it being a group just wouldn't work, I wouldn't think.

Anyways, this made me check up on Season 2 of Broadchurch, and apparently it's filming/filmed and will air beginning of 2015!

Quick

Banned
watched broadchurch few months ago, it was great!

might as well ask this here, i've watched broadchurch, utopia, in the flesh
any other awesome british series worth watching?

Everything.

If you want to see David Tennant in something completely different, he was in this little show called Doctor Who for three seasons and five specials.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Fucksake America, stop re-making our best TV shows and just watch the superior originals. Tennant in both of them is hilarious though, I wonder what his thought process was beyond "sigh" or "cha-CHING"

Fucksake America, stop re-making our best TV shows and just watch the superior originals. Tennant in both of them is hilarious though, I wonder what his thought process was beyond "sigh" or "cha-CHING"

Apparently he flew back and forth while filming Broadchurch S2. His mind must be fried doing two accents while essentially playing the same person!

ZoddGutts

This is one of your best shows that your country can offer? Wasn't even that good.

Yeah I agree, the ending has to be the same because of
Anna Gunn

She already played the oblivious wife who suddenly discovers here mild-mannered husband is a killer. The "reveal" scene would be tailored made for her signature surprised/shocked/disbelief wide-eyed look. Hell, we may even get a "shutup, shutup, shutup!" as she kicks her sobbing husband.

The scenes leading up to that moment are most likely altered though.

We will likely see more of the husband trying to cover shit up - we'll see him slowly rise to the boiling point. Thus I think the reveal to the audience may come earlier - like ep. 8 or 9 - so the red herring stuff is lessened. The last 2-3 episodes will be more about the husband - I hope - cuz Broadchurch was weak when it came to the "mind of the villain" stuff.

RS4-

How different is this from Broadchurch, which I haven't seen. I did finish up Gracepoint and thought it was...interesting so far.

Blader

I was actually going to watch this because I've really wanted to see Broadchurch but absolutely everyone refuses to stream it I guess. But then I read an interview about a week ago where the producer flat out said the reason this remake exists is because people couldn't understand the accents on Broadchurch.

And on the one hand I can appreciate that honesty, since that's literally the reason any UK show is remade for the US. But on the other hand, if your mission statement is to do the same story, told in the same way but just in a different accent, I'm just going to stick to the original.

Love David Tennant, murder mysteries and have a soft spot for British Television. Couldn't even make it through the third episode of Broadchurch. I guess maybe the 'small town' murder mystery schtick is newer to British audiences perhaps?

Grifter

What about
?

Would sort of be like
Top of the Lake.
This is how not to use spoiler tags.

Tried watching this last night in between downloading Smash Bros. onto my 3DS and replaying a bit of Persona 4 Golden (was playing it prior to the show starting) but I wasn't following it too closely.

Might try rewatching it through Fox's app or I might just buy Broadchurch on DVD through Amazon and go that route.

Not sure yet.

Krakn3Dfx

Tennant's American accent makes Eccleston's The Leftovers American almost acceptable.

Loved Broadchurch, this just feels off somehow so far, even tho 90% of the time it's line-for-line the same dialogue and atmosphere of the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom