• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are "traditional" console games finally making the jump to PC?

Owwari

Banned
I someone told me Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy were coming to PC a couple of years ago, I would've just laughed out loud.
And now it's a thing, it's almost as if that invisible PC boundary is finally fading away for some of the most traditional, conservative and oldest developers.

Will Persona make the jump? More JRPGs (for the love of God pls)

It's a great thing, more people should be able to enjoy more games. On the other hand, we may see situations like Microsoft+Tomb Raider more frequently, so consoles get exclusively time (or not timed at all) content so the consumer has no other choice but to dip on it.

What's your take on this GAF?

SerTapTap

What if I told you an MGS, three Silent Hills and two final fantasies made it to PC within a year or so of release?

And I was of course referring to MGS 1, Silent hill 2 3 and 4 and Final Fantasy 7 and 8, 10+ year old games.

I mean, it's great to see these games on PC, and they're actually functional ports this time, but if anything this is more of a second coming than a first-time thing.

I'm kind of thinking the ease of porting from Xbox One and PS4 has more to do with this than anything. I think Squeenix already said FFXV was running on PC and they're basically porting it to the consoles, even though the PC version wasn't planned (but said it was a possibility).

I really hope PC sales encourage them to continue though. I doubt we'll see a future with no console exclusives any time soon, but it's nice to see as many games on PC as possible if only for backwards compatibility. Given the complete lack of care Ubisoft gives to it's PC ports I tend to assume PC is still last in every publisher's mind, but PC has finally become a "why not" due to ease of porting.

Cess007

I someone told me Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy were coming to PC a couple of years ago, I would've just laughed out loud.
And now it's a thing, it's almost as if that invisible PC boundary is finally fading away for some of the most traditional, conservative and oldest developers.

Will Persona make the jump? More JRPGs (for the love of God pls)

It's a great thing, more people should be able to enjoy more games. On the other hand, we may see situations like Microsoft+Tomb Raider more frequently, so consoles get exclusively time (or not timed at all) content so the consumer has no other choice but to dip on it.

What's your take on this GAF?

Didn't MGS, MGS2, FF7 and FF8 had PC releases?

petghost

Banned
seems inevitable.

just really wish more fighting games were heading in this direction.

i think T7 is getting a port so hopefully that does well and more people start bringing stuff over. still seems really far away though and devs like arcsys seemingly dont know what a pc is.

What if I told you an MGS, three Silent Hills and two final fantasies made it to PC within a year or so of release?

And I was of course referring to MGS 1, Silent hill 2 3 and 4 and Final Fantasy 7 and 8, 10+ year old games.

I mean, it's great to see these games on PC, and they're actually functional ports this time, but if anything this is more of a second coming than a first-time thing.

I'm kind of thinking the ease of porting from Xbox One and PS4 has more to do with this than anything. I think Squeenix already said FFXV was running on PC and they're basically porting it to the consoles, even though the PC version wasn't planned (but said it was a possibility).

I really hope PC sales encourage them to continue though. I doubt we'll see a future with no console exclusives any time soon, but it's nice to see as many games on PC as possible if only for backwards compatibility. Given the complete lack of care Ubisoft gives to it's PC ports I tend to assume PC is still last in every publisher's mind, but PC has finally become a "why not" due to ease of porting.

PC-Gaming just became bigger in the last 3-4 years thanks to Steam.

And look at those console games 10 years ago. Almost no one was using controllers on PC besides a joystick/racing wheel. Too hook up your PC to a TV, you still needed to connect video and sound, not just HDMI, clone the display and you are ready to go.
It is far more convenient now to have console games on PC than before.

About japanese publishers/devs. I am still thinking, that a lot of them dont even know how big Steam is in the west or that it even exists.

MGS and Final Fantasy games have come to PC before. It wasn't always consistent or in a timely fashion, but until MGS6 and Final Fantasy 15 are announced for PC, we don't know if these upcoming ports mean anything in the long run, either.

Ishida

Banned

This. You need to get your history straight, OP. Those franchises have already been on PC at some point. They are just returning after a hiatus.

kodecraft

I really hope so, with the movement of STEAM and STEAM machines coming next year, we're moving into a one set-top box under your tv that can play everything and provide entertainment also while being an open-platform that would also support the Oculus Rift.....basically a PC under the tv.

I'm all for it, as I'm trying to and for the first time do ALOT of PC gaming this gen.

I really hope so, with the movement of STEAM and STEAM machines coming next year, we're moving into a one set-top box under your tv that can play everything and provide entertainment also while being an open-platform that would also support the Oculus Rift.....basically a PC under the tv.

I'm all for it, as I'm trying to and for the first time do ALOT of PC gaming this gen.
One thing even less likely than console exclusives being released en masse for PCs would be Linux versions. I wouldn't hold my breath on this, and that's even before discussing the questionable state of the whole Steambox gameplan. Edit: I'm assuming you mean the Steambox that's looking to use SteamOS.

That whole "all-in-one box" you're looking for is literally what the PS4 and (especially) XB1 are already trying to be for you. We'll have to see if Windows 10 makes it any easier, as well.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I hope these recent releases have been a sign of things to come. I still haven't bought a next-gen console and I'm really hoping FFXV among others get a PC release. It should be easier than ever now that consoles are closer to pc hardware than before.
I would at least hope that the unreal engine 4 games like Guilty Gear Xrd and Tekken 7 get a PC port.

Komo

Banned
This thread made me Google 'Tekken PC' ... I was really surprised to learn that Tekken 7 is coming to PC

kodecraft

One thing even less likely than console exclusives being released en masse for PCs would be Linux versions. I wouldn't hold my breath on this, and that's even before discussing the questionable state of the whole Steambox gameplan. Edit: I'm assuming you mean the Steambox that's looking to use SteamOS.

That whole "all-in-one box" you're looking for is literally what the PS4 and (especially) XB1 are already trying to be for you. We'll have to see if Windows 10 makes it any easier, as well.

Agreed, the Steambox/machine is what I am talking about. As far as the PS4/X1 being that "set-top" box, I'm talking one not as capped as those consoles. But they do fill the void atm.

Traditional console games of the PS360 generation maybe.

Still not nearly enough Japanese games on there for other gens. Those made the jump to handhelds.

Sentenza

What actually surprises me is how pepole are failing to notice that this is a well-established and consolidating trend at this point, not few sparse exceptions.
If anything, I'm going to predict that the more we'll go on, the more franchise NOT coming on PC will be the exception.

What actually surprises me is how pepole are failing to notice that this is a well-established and consolidating trend at this point, not few sparse exceptions.
If anything, I'm going to predict that the more we'll go on, the more franchise NOT coming on PC will be the exception.

Exactly my thoughts. This isn't new.

Shredderi

As development costs keep getting higher, developers have to start looking at other possible platforms to distribute their games to. Some games have shown that there is a (relatively) lot of money in the pc crowd if you do it right. Even with all the piratism. I just think that more and more devs are starting to wake up to this realization and I couldn't be happier for it. Still got long ways to go but hey.

Teremap

Banned
This is what I'm hoping for. I just don't have the motivation to spend some $400 on these boxes that I'll only use to play a handful of exclusives. It's just not a good value proposition.

I've spent some $2000 (probably more) on my PC and it's served me VERY well. Bring old parts over to new builds, sell the old parts to make back some of what I'd spent, so on and so forth. Unlike a console, my PC serves a ridiculous multitude of uses (hell, I have a game in windowed mode right now while I'm typing this up), is almost fully backwards-compatible, and it is absurdly powerful to boot, thanks in large part to my multi-GPU setup.

It honestly boggles my mind that people can have such dedication to these proprietary hardware set-top boxes when they do so little for you compared to decent PC. I mean... what's the big deal? I don't see it, you know?

kodecraft

This is what I'm hoping for. I just don't have the motivation to spend some $400 on these boxes that I'll only use to play a handful of exclusives. It's just not a good value proposition.

I've spent some $2000 (probably more) on my PC and it's served me VERY well. Bring old parts over to new builds, sell the old parts to make back some of what I'd spent, so on and so forth. Unlike a console, my PC serves a ridiculous multitude of uses (hell, I have a game in windowed mode right now while I'm typing this up), is almost fully backwards-compatible, and it is absurdly powerful to boot, thanks in large part to my multi-GPU setup.

It honestly boggles my mind that people can have such dedication to these proprietary hardware set-top boxes when they do so little for you compared to decent PC. I mean... what's the big deal? I don't see it, you know?

I'm starting to see the light.

Celcius

°Temp. member

There are still plenty of console exclusives though such as Dead or Alive, Tales of, Ninja Gaiden (yaiba doesn't count), etc... Plus if a game is available on console and PC, a lot of people would rather pay the $400 for a console where they don't have to fiddle with settings rather than dealing with a pc.

You buy the box , put the game in , and thats it, a lot of people dont want to mess around with parts and shit

Teremap

Banned
I also hold no small amount of resentment when a game is held back from the PC unnecessarily, especially in the case of games with very noticeable technical limitations (Dragon's Dogma, I'm lookin' at you). Just seems like a dumb thing to do.

There are still plenty of console exclusives though such as Dead or Alive, Tales of, Ninja Gaiden (yaiba doesn't count), etc... Plus if a game is available on console and PC, a lot of people would rather pay the $400 for a console where they don't have to fiddle with settings rather than dealing with a pc.
Yeeaah, you might wanna mention games that are actually ON the current-gen consoles. :p

Obviously, the value proposition is a lot different after a price drop and a decent library of exclusives has been built up, but the PS4 and especially the XB1 are NOT there yet.
You buy the box , put the game in , and thats it, a lot of people dont want to mess around with parts and shit
I get it, but that's like the only reason to go for them besides exclusives. Well, that, and split-screen multiplayer I guess, but right now that's the exclusive domain of the WiiU.

Either way, those (small) advantages do not warrant anywhere near the emotional investment some folks give these machines. I would argue that I actually have some real justification for being attached to my PC because I assembled it with my own two hands and have lived with it for longer than an entire console generation (though obviously with many parts cycling out over time). That same ease-of-use disadvantage turns the console into another disposable piece of electronics, doesn't it?

Biker19

Banned

The only reason why these games are coming over to PC, is because both Microsoft & Sony used the x86 architecture on consoles for easier development.

Once 3rd party publishers realize how a lot of people are pirating games on PC or are not selling, most of them will go straight back to developing games for consoles only.

Not to mention that they'll have to keep upgrading parts for PC in a few years time just to play later games, etc.

Teremap

Banned
The only reason why these games are coming over to PC, is because both Microsoft & Sony used the x86 architecture on consoles for easier development.

Once 3rd party publishers realize how a lot of people are pirating games on PC or are not selling, most of them will go straight back to developing for consoles only.
lol @ bolded

The thing is, having a PC version cannot hurt you. You'd just be gaining sales you wouldn't have had if you didn't have a PC version, right? And besides that the amount of R&D time required to build a PC version is miniscule compared to the RoI.

I just don't see the point in NOT having one.

Not to mention that they'll have to keep upgrading parts for PC in a few years time just to play later games, etc.
That's a myth, and also actually a positive. A year from now the next series of GPUs using the next process node will have been released, and those GPUs will be astonishingly powerful to the point of completely shitting all over the current-gen consoles (which my PC already does, mind you).

I've had my two GTX 670s for over two years now and they're still going incredibly strong. I can probably keep them for another two years without issues. I don't have to max out the settings in every game I play, you know?

Once 3rd party publishers realize how a lot of people are pirating games on PC or are not selling, most of them will go straight back to developing for consoles only

That was true maybe five years ago. More devs are putting games on the PC because they've realized that piracy has minimal (if any) impact on sales. The recent influx of ported games started well before they knew that the new consoles had x86 architecture.

Qassim

I'm a person who would rather not have to buy the consoles, but I do because there are games I sometimes enjoy that come out exclusively for them, it's usually very few a year (e.g. the only two games I've bought for my XB1 since launch are Forza 5 and Forza Horizon 2, but I've played them *a lot*, barely anything on the PS4 and WiiU either).

If all games came out on PC, I'd probably only buy one console for TV media stuff (the XB1 has been great for me for this). However, I do get why many people don't prefer PC, for me, most things are smooth, quick and convenient, more so than my consoles in many regards, but for many they aren't - the consoles are (mostly) a worry free solution and it's fine if people prefer that.

SteamOS may help as it should strip out a lot of the windows crud and streamline the experience a lot more whilst keeping those PC benefits for those that want it, but until then - the PC gaming experience isn't for everyone.

Mohasus

I'm sad that DW8 was ported to PC but Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate wasn't. :(

Once 3rd party publishers realize how a lot of people are pirating games on PC or are not selling, most of them will go straight back to developing games for consoles only.

Good trolling, I almost fell for it.

Qassim

Uhh.. are you serious? This started happened well before the next-gen consoles came out..

Top Bottom