• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detectorists - Toby Jones and Mackenize Crook: BBC Four, Thursdays 10pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

L1NETT

Didn't see any threads about this show, so thought I'd make one as I saw the first episode and really liked it.

metal_3043549b.jpg

Synopsis

A new comedy about two friends Andy (Mackenzie Crook) and Lance (Toby Jones) who go in search of their hearts' desire with a couple of metal detectors.

Why you should watch it

But this is really a programme about companionship. Lance and Andy bicker constantly and re-tell the same jokes but, just like Fletch and Mackay in Porridge or Albert and Harold in Steptoe and Son, the pair couldn’t survive without each other. It is a classic sitcom set-up which has been executed well here.

Four starts, the Telegraph

Warm, wonderfully shot and even more wonderfully acted. Detectorists is a warm, lovely half an hour of comedy. Not laugh out loud cringy in your face modern comedy but far more heartfelt and soft.

Me
am I allowed to do that

When is it on?

Thursdays, BBC Four 10pm.
And on iplayer for catchup

Edit: Can a mod fix the title? Mackenzie crook. Man I'm dumb haha

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
ooh, I missed this. Will watch for sure (gonna check my Sky if its there but since Monty Mole got it...)

L1NETT

Loved the second episode

It's such a warm fuzzy program but don't mean it has nowt depth to it.

Wish more folk tuned in though, it being stuck on BBC Four is an odd one. Hopefully word of mouth means more will watch it

L1NETT

Nobody is watching this, which is a shame

First series ended yesterday, a second has already been commissioned

Comedy show of the year for me, really understated yet lovely and importantly funny.

Toby Jones is fantastic, one of the best actors working and the show looks sumptuous.

Come on Gaf watch it!

berzeli

Banned
Nobody is watching this, which is a shame

First series ending yesterday, a second has already been commissioned

Comedy show of the year for me, really understated yet lovely and importantly funny.

Toby Jones is fantastic, one of the best actors working and the show looks sumptuous.

Come on Gaf watch it!

Yeah, I thought Uncle would be the best new comedy this year, but this one is just sublime. It kind of reminds me of Rev. in tone but I enjoy Detectorists slightly more.

And pretty much anything with Toby Jones is worth watching, the man is a genius.

I loved every minute of this. I've been trying to get friends and family into it but no one seems interested, which is a great shame.

It's excellent. It really is. It feels to me like this is the exact sort of thing Ricky Gervais has been trying to make ever since The Office. Something laugh out loud funny but with a bunch of characters you actually care for and like. Gervais has failed again and again. Crook has nailed it in one go.

Vert boil

Really enjoyed the first episode, not sure if it was just because I'm familiar with the show now or that the first episode was a step up from last year.

This programme is wonderful and I'm very happy they got a second series. There are definitely some aspects which are true to life and I'm glad they touch on the damage nighthawks can do.

nilbog21

Banned
lol randomly started up this show last night on netflix and ended up watching the entire thing w/ my wife

so good. toby jones is so funny he had me dying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom