• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai on Smash clone haters: "A lot of them are children, it cannot be helped."

Fiktion

Banned
The Sak breaks it down.

There are 3 fighters [Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doctor Mario] that are alternate models (clones) in the game. Each was originally a color variation, but during development, they were given balanced characteristics. Since their functionality had differences, forms were separated from each other. However, it was vital that this didn’t increase the required man-hours. Some relative tuning was sufficient as it wasn’t necessary to create balancing from scratch.
This is like a free dessert after a luxurious meal that was prepared free of charge. In a restaurant with this type of service, I don’t think there’s anybody who would say, “Change this to a meat dish!!”

Yet, I’m told [to do that] about Smash Bros. But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped.

Mistle

The restaurant comparison makes sense, more people need to realise that clones aren't there in place of your favourite character. It was either them or nobody.

This thread is going to end well.

He's absolutely right too, though Lucas being gone following this line of reasoning raises an eyebrow.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I agreed with Sakurai. I would rather to getting free characters over getting nothing. People don't really grasp the concept that clones are free characters for us because they have small amount of free times to put the characters in the game.

I'm glad that he stood on his ground for clone characters.

Nvzman

I never understood the complaints against
Dr. Mario
He is basically the Melee version of Mario (no FLUDD) without the wonky physics of Luigi. Am I not wrong?

DJIzana

Heh. Putting those people in place. I'm very happy with the roster. I have Shulk, Ness, Duck Hunt, Little Mac, Pac Ma, Mega Man and Mii Fighter. Those are basically the only characters I knew I'd like playing as from the start and that hasn't really changed.

Shotsfired.gif

NexusCell

He's got a point. If none of the three were in the roster, I'm guessing most people would be satisfied, but since they are in, it gives people the excuse to say that "X character took out slot!"

lupinko

I'm not a smash player but I do play fighting games, and aren't the clones basically like the Ryu/Kens or Mishimas or etc. of the Smash world?

Which means they're different characters regardless of some shared moves.

Silky

Banned
I never take people who complain about clones in fighting games seriously anyway. Because usually they don't have a good argument reagarding their dislike of said 'clones'

So yeah. Kids that don't really know how fighting games work.

I really hope the people in this thread don't take this too seriously to the point of insane fanatical dribble.

Then again the gifs and memes are out already

Personally I don't agree.

Would rather have those three as alts than separate characters.

AKA: I'd rather the roster be short 3 characters than have these characters in.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Yaaaaas Sakurai, drop them truth bombs.

It's just weird to see the inconsistency.
WHY did they determine that Doctor Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit had to have these functional differences in the first place? Yet Alph functions the exact same as Olimar?

I don't care either way, but the inconsistency bothers me.

Kinsei

Banned
I still can't tell the difference between marth and lucina and pit and dark pit

Marth gets a power boost at the tip of his sword. Lucina does not.

Dark Pit's arrows don't curve as much as Pit. His side B deals more damage (I believe it's something like 0.7% more or something), and it launches diagonally instead of straight up. He also has a different final smash.

Kriken

Well I for one am pissed that Lucina and Dr Mario took Ridley and Lucas' roster spots. Because that's how rosters for fighting games work
/s

Shots fuken fired

Nah, but seriously, I'm glad Lucina's in the game. I've always enjoyed playing as Marth but was never a huge fan of the character design. Lucina's the perfect alternative.

Mortemis

Banned
Damn Sakurai. See me in smash bro, let's settle this.

The guy has a point tho, clone complainers in fighting games are annoying.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Marth gets a power boost at the tip of his sword. Lucina does not.

Dark Pit's arrows don't curve as much as Pit. His side B deals more damage (I believe it's something like 0.7% more or something), and it launches diagonally instead of straight up. He also has a different final smash.

You mean a dark version of the Light Arrow? And not a glorified Dark Pit kick?

georly

It's just weird to see the inconsistency.
WHY did they determine that Doctor Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit had to have these functional differences in the first place? Yet Alph functions the exact same as Olimar?

I don't care either way, but the inconsistency bothers me.

Yeah, same w/ hoodie and/or wireframe mac. It's weird that some alt models got to be clones while others didn't.

Whatever, i'll take 3 free clones, though. Way better than alt costumes.

Top Bottom