• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An entire generation growing up who will never know the thrill of renting a game

Krejlooc

Banned
Just dinking around at lunch and I stumbled upon a website full of blockbuster video memories and it got me tripping down memory lane. That game rentals as I knew them as a kid really aren't a thing anymore kind of blows my mind. I know there is gamefly and I think redbox rents games too, but it's not the same.

When I was in elementary school, my friday routine was set in stone - get out of school, watch afternoon cartoons (this isn't a thing anymore either, wtf??) then head to the video rental store with my sister and rent a movie and game while we waited for the pizza place next door to make out pizza. Then we'd go home, watch some movies while eating pizza, then I'd spend the rest of the night digging into my new-ish game for the weekend, often playing till late into night.

It was such a huge deal to me. Part of the reason it was such a big deal was that, being a kid at the time, I didn't exactly get new video games regularly like I do as an adult. And, in those days, despite having the internet in 89, finding out when games were released was still sort of a crapshoot, and nobody knew every video game ever. Often times, games would just show up on the store shelf to rent. Like, "holy shit, there's a wonderboy 3 now??"

We used to rent from a small place called Movie Shack until they got run out of business for what was at the time the brand new Blockbuster Video. I rented soooo many Sega Master System games this way. You'd only have the box art to go by some times, and that lead to me renting so many awful games. When the Genesis first came out, I must have mistakenly rented Last Battle like 3 times before I committed to memory that the game was garbage. This is also how I found Decap attack.

Renting a terrible game would ruin your damn weekend, lol. Take it home, play a bit, and realize the game sucks... and you got that sinking feeling. And even if the game sucked you'd still play the shit out of it, dammit, because it was a game you didn't have.

I even remember the smell associated with walls of VHS tapes and game cartridges, it was a smell of plastic and silicon. And bubble gum, too. the Movie Shack had a huge bubble gum container in the front of the store by the return desk.

I remember, later on, right before I stopped actually renting games, Blockbuster had a promotion where if you rented a movie and a game, you got a "free" PC game, one of like 8. In actuality, they were giving away Epic Pinball on 3 1/4" floppies board by board. Over the course of several weeks, I got the full version of the game this way.

The other day, I drove past my old movieshack/blockbuster and it's a carpet store now. Just kind of blows my mind that such a huge ritual of my childhood is pretty much no more. Very soon, we will talk to kids about renting movies at stores and they will look at us like we are fucking crazy, lol.

[HP]

I play games since Atari and I've never rented a game.

Also, why is it a thrill? It's more of a thrill when I buy the game, it's mine and mine alone and I'm supporting the developers.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Uh, OP...

OB-OI824_redbox_E_20110616110644.jpg

Einbroch

Banned
Gamefly is still exciting, especially during the doldrums of last spring and summer. I add a bunch of games to my list, and when they show up at my front door it's like a mini-Christmas.

Oh man, so many memories of browsing the shelves at Video Station or Blockbuster for the newest stuff to try it out.

So many potential horrible purchases saved by realizing how shitty it is....

Krejlooc

Banned
Dude....libraries

I'm not in the mood to actually rent games - I recognized long ago that renting games isn't worth it to me. Rather, I'm commenting on how renting games, in general, is now such an uncommon practice in general.

Video rental places died for a good reason. But it's still weird to think the practice is uncommon now.

GulAtiCa

Redbox and Gamefly are pretty much everywhere.

Of course, they just won't know much of the experience of going to any kind of video rental store for games.

nictron

sad.gif

edit: I realize you can still rent games. I suppose I am more sad that there will be no more slowly roaming the aisles of the local video store in general.

Guevara

Some of my best memories as a kid: my dad and I would go to the rental store, try some crazy NES or Genesis game based on the cover, next door was TCYB

'90s nostalgia

dugdug

Banned
Yep. I actually still had a local blockbuster until only a couple years ago. They had a killer deal. $15/month or so for 2 games/movies out at a time, for as long as you wanted. Was really sad to see it go.

So many games I never would have tried, were it not for rental places like that. I loved those places, man.

Boomerang rentals in the UK are decent as you get new releases on release day and can keep them as long as u want, Perfect for me anyway as i used to sell my games as soon as was done with them, Now i just pop em back in the post and receive the next game i want.

With services like that no wonder blockbuster couldnt keep up if it didnt evolve.

renting game is not allowed by law (copyright laws) in France so ... No, never knew. But we traded games with friends, for that matter

Iorv3th

I also remember not having the internet to inform me of what games to buy/rent. Ended up renting some real stinkers.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
The restricted supply of games and game information in general in the old days definitely had a certain magic. Renting, borrowing, playing at a friend's house, trawling over and over through a limited supply of magazines, and later on, scouring primitive websites...there was a beauty in fighting for scraps.

I think we're pretty much in a post-scarcity environment for games nowadays that goes far beyond making renting mostly pointless. You can buy lots of games for $5 or less. You can watch entire games on Youtube or Twitch. There's an overwhelming glut of entertainment. It's a good thing over all, of course, but yeah, certain feelings and a certain air of mystery and discovery are never going to be recaptured.

Krejlooc

Banned
Some of my best memories as a kid: my dad and I would go to the rental store, try some crazy NES or Genesis game based on the cover, next door was TCYB

'90s nostalgia

I remember when my dad would take me to Funcoland after a few weeks of me saving up money from mowing lawns

That was around the time I stopped renting games

Driving to Funcoland was like driving to Christmas.

The Beard

There was nothing like the excitement of seeing that big bulky box containing the cartridge or disc behind the box art (that meant it was available to rent for all you youngsters) . What a rush !

jbueno

Never actually found renting a game amusing or anything, haven´t done it since like 1996. Now getting the best out of a credit in an arcade game? That was thrilling.

shandy706

I'm not sure I ever got a thrill of renting a game. You had to give them back, what's fun about that?

When I was younger, my parents only let us rent movies/games on Friday afternoon. There was a real excitement in our house when the weekend came..lol.

Ferr986

I remember always renting a Mega drive game every month (sometimes 2 per month).
Playing new games over a weekend without having to buy it was huge for me as a kid.

RowdyReverb

Even if game rental stores were still commonplace, there's just not nearly as many games coming out on physical media as there used to be.

Ahhh, those were the days. I still rent games from family video though. Rent it when it first comes out, beat it, then purchase it when it drops to 20 bucks.

Gamefly is still exciting, especially during the doldrums of last spring and summer. I add a bunch of games to my list, and when they show up at my front door it's like a mini-Christmas.

this- between a bunch of remakes and games Im half interested in I will gladly stock up my queue with 8 titles im not comfortable dropping 60 bucks on.

Krejlooc

Banned
The thrill of trying to beat a game over the weekend before having to return it was a high point of my childhood. :)

When you rented a game that couldn't be beaten in a weekend, and you waited all week after returning it on pins and needles worried that someone would rent and erase your game before you could rent it again...

Marceles

This used to be Disneyland.

blockbuster2.jpg

Like...I don't think people who have used online only rental places understand how exciting it was to go rent a game you want and the game actually being there, or even better...thinking the game is gone and asking a guy at the front desk if it's available and it recently arriving. It was like gambling, and if you didn't win then you had to settle for another game that might or might not end up being good just by how the box art and screenshots looked. No extensive previews of the game or anything.

Servbot24

Banned
The experience you described does not sound fun at all. :(

I've never rented a game. But I've borrowed from my friends plenty of times.

Zaku

They'll also never know the excitement of getting a demo disc full of small snatches of games they've never heard of, either.

I had an OPM subscription purely for the demo discs. That first disc, with Intelligent Qube, Parappa, Ace Combat 2, and Fighting Force was magic.

inki

It was the ritual of renting the game more than the game itself (don't get me wrong it was all about the games once you got home!). I got to rent games every weekend as well. I think they were all $1.00/night, same as a movie.

Top Bottom