• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 - Citadel DLC. I've never laughed so much at a videogame. Or cried.

Afrocious

By laughed so much at, I mean the game made me laugh. That writing was on point four hours of straight hilarity and in-jokes.

It also made me cry at the end. I've never cried from a videogame before, but those last few lines with that final shot of the Normandy lingered in my head for a bit after I had turned the game off. Tears soon ran.

Maybe it was because I romanced Tali. I dunno if that final scene is different based on who you're in a relationship with, but Tali's line about never imagining serving on a human ship and how she wouldn't change it, and saying we've had a good ride was a perfect - looking back at all three games (bonus points since she had been in my crew in all three). Shepard punctuating it quietly with "...The best" with that music hit all the feels.

I know how problematic the ending was for lots of folks, but I want to sincerely thank GAF for recommending I play Citadel. I needed that.

Fisty

Did a trilogy playthrough with this as the cherry on top. This DLC makes the entire series come together and will always be in my top 5 DLCs. Really memorable, and some great send offs for some of the best characters in gaming

EDIT: Also Javik was made into the best character in the series when he hit on that chick in the bar. /dead

Bessy67

The Citadel DLC was some of the best fanservice I've seen in a video game. The actual mission in the DLC was pretty meh, but the squad interactions were top notch.

aravuus

Fuck I need to give this a try soon

I keep restarting the series all the time and I always make through ME1 and 2 easily, but I always stop midway through 3. Maybe I should just skip to 3 the next time I want to play the series, rush to the end and do the Citadel DLC.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"It's been one hell of a ride..."

"...the best."

:'(

4w21Wn8.jpg

*tears*

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think the whole thing is rather cheesy, but I didn't care. Sappy character relationship is my weakness, and I was washed away with so many feelings during my playthrough. Heck, even your written reenacment made me choke a little.
It was Kaidan who got the final conversation in my case, though.

Citadel is the best DLC I've ever played. It got pretty much everything right. The music, the humor, the ending- everything was perfect.
I got Tali's ending too!

Fuck. i'm in school, and I just looked at that picture, and I got all teary eyed......FUUUUUUUUUU-

Makes me even more sad because of how deep those words are.
In Mass Effect 2, my favorite character EVER, Garrus, died. So, this ending, without him REALLLLLLY hit the feels because he wasn't there.
I know that sounds stupid but man.......man. Got me guud.

The Citadel was amazing. I loved every moment of it.

As FemShep i romanced Traynor. When you meet her after "you" threw her off the ship, I lost it when I grabbed her, kissed her and said "shhhhh... evil clone" My wife was looking at me as if I lost my mind I was laughing so hard.

Afrocious

I cranked my difficulty down to Narrative after hearing how the mission wasn't that good to play through. This did wonders. Beacuse it was so easy, it even made scenes
where your entire crew is gunning down all the soldiers together that more hilarious because they're OP as fuck.

And Tali?

Her singing was precious. But that ending with Shepard holding her hand, her looking at the Normandy saying she wouldn't change anything and they've had good ride...I don't know if it was because I had Tali there or what but that whole thing moved me.

This was a perfect farewell to the series, even considering the ending. The Normandy family grew over three games over the years, and having Tali be part of the backbone? Maybe the combination of that was what moved me.

I haven't played Mass Effect 3 yet (have it on Origin). Which DLC should I get? Is Citadel enough (would be interested in all DLCs but those Bioware Points)?

LosDaddie

Banned
I recently played the DLC. But I messed up and did it on my Insanity playthrough. The part with the silencer was awful.

Overall, yeah, it was worth the price

m23

I have yet to play it and Mass Effect was my favorite new IP of last Gen. Hoping for a current Gen release though so I can finally get to it.

Bessy67

I haven't played Mass Effect 3 yet (have it on Origin). Which DLC should I get? Is Citadel enough (would be interested in all DLCs but those Bioware Points)?
Leviathan and From Ashes are pretty important to the story, so I'd get those too. Omega is OK, but it's more about combat than story. The bonus powers you get from it are pretty awesome for biotic characters though.

Afrocious

If you've played the previous ME games and enjoyed them, Citadel is critical only in that case, but I'd play it only after beating the game. Nothing important happens in Citadel that's relevant to the plot, but Citadel's significance stems from the series itself.

Leviathan is apparently good too and can be played at any point since it fits narratively.

Everyone I've asked said Omega can be skipped.

Yeah, From Ashes is almost critical IMO. I cannot imagine not having Javik on the team. He's a well done character who's stoic, offers interesting perspective on the transpiring events, and has some great scenes and interactions. Luckily, From Ashes came with my deluxe digital edition on Origin.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wrex : Shepard.
Shepard : Wrex.
Grunt : Shepard.
Shepard : Grunt.
Grunt : Commander Shepard.
Shepard. Wrex? Grunt?
Wrex : Shepard. Shepard. Shepard.
Grunt. Shepaaaaard.
Shepard : *awkward face*

FHIZ

Best DLC I've played; Citadel did an amazing job tying a bow on those characters.

Agreed. I didn't hate Mass Effect 3 or its ending, just thought it was sort of lazy and underwhelming, but Citadel did a lot in way of clearing out that somewhat sour taste in my mouth.

I hope Bioware recognizes how much people loved that and find some opportunities in 4, or whatever the next one will be called, for that sort of weird goofy sci fi fun. But I guess a big part of Citadel was being well aware of all the characters going in to it, so perhaps it might not work without the context.

This DLC single handedly changed my opinion about ME3. Last June I spent the whole month playing ME trilogy with all the DLCs, and citadel is by far my favorite thing about ME. So emotional.

Ralemont

not me
Fuck. i'm in school, and I just looked at that picture, and I got all teary eyed......FUUUUUUUUUU-

Makes me even more sad because of how deep those words are.
In Mass Effect 2, my favorite character EVER, Garrus, died. So, this ending, without him REALLLLLLY hit the feels because he wasn't there.
I know that sounds stupid but man.......man. Got me guud.

Wow props for sticking to the consequences man. I would have save scummed that shit in a second.

(....and I did. Thane and Legion died my first Suicide Mission playthrough. NOPE to that.)

Afro glad you loved it as I was sure you would. The party is just the best. It expertly plays everyone against type.

tumblr_mjk4hteH461r9s8cbo1_400.gif

Leviathan, From Ashes, Citadel. Omega is great for combat but the story is just okay.

Leviathan and From Ashes are pretty important to the story, so I'd get those too. Omega is OK, but it's more about combat than story. The bonus powers you get from it are pretty awesome for biotic characters though.

If you've played the previous ME games and enjoyed them, Citadel is critical only in that case, but I'd play it only after beating the game. Nothing important happens in Citadel that's relevant to the plot, but Citadel's significance stems from the series itself.

Leviathan is apparently good too and can be played at any point since it fits narratively.

Everyone I've asked said Omega can be skipped.

Yeah, From Ashes is almost critical IMO. I cannot imagine not having Javik on the team. He's a well done character who's stoic, offers interesting perspective on the transpiring events, and has some great scenes and interactions. Luckily, From Ashes came with my deluxe digital edition on Origin.

Alright, thanks!

Got the Digital Deluxe Edition so I guess I'll buy Leviathan and Citadel then.

MC Safety

I'd like to play Citadel, but would likely be thinking about how horribly paced and plotted Mass Effect 3 is.

Let's have a party while Earth burns!

Right up there with The Lair of the Shadow Broker for best DLC in the series. Also, between those two, Bioware can be funny as hell when they wanna be.

Grisby

Grunt's birthday adventure was awesome.

"I love you grunt."

And yes, the ending got me all the feels that the original game's ending should have had. That last lone instantly makes me feel both happy and sad about the series. In a good way, mind you.

Afrocious

I'd like to play Citadel, but would likely be thinking about how horribly paced and plotted Mass Effect 3 is.

Let's have a party while Earth burns!

Don't think too much about that. You literally save the Normandy with a
toothbrush.

Citadel is Bioware pulling all the characters out of the problems folks found in ME3 and put them in a situation where you can truly see them as friends, with some deepening relationships throughout the three games.

Afrocious

Grunt's birthday adventure was awesome.

"I love you grunt."

And yes, the ending got me all the feels that the original game's ending should have had. That last lone instantly makes me feel both happy and sad about the series. In a good way, mind you.

Grunt's story had me rolling. Reminded me of The Hangover somewhat lol.

Taylor playing in that space strategy game tournament when that eyecatch happened was glorious.

Dash_

Just to echo others, I thought this DLC managed to redeem ME3's ending for me. I think amongst fans it's considered the one that's true anyway.

Afrocious

Citadel also kinda fits with the game's epilogue where
the stargazer says there's so many stories out there, as much as there's stars - or something to that effect. This DLC honestly could be cemented in one's head as the ending of the entire series, leaving folks content with knowing the Normandy crew are still going at their adventure - kicking ass and making memories for as long as you want them to.

I've played and beaten all mass effects. Haven't bought any dlc ever. Really hoping for a "complete edition" with all dlc for ps4/x1. I'd love to do it all over again with the dlc's. This is the one dlc I REALLY want to play. Mass Effecct is probably my favorite series.

witness

When I did my first play through of ME3 decided to start from the first game and just do a straight through line of one after the other. Took me about 2 months and around 120ish hours. I didn't play any other games during that time. My wife got so invested in the story watching. I played on PS3 and while ME2 was my favorite overall (the dlc is incredible) and one of my top 3 games of all time, I was still amazingly happy with 3. See when I did my first play through of ME3, I had all of the DLC, including the Citadel. So my first experience was very different than what people experienced on day 1. It was so satisfying and enjoyable and I loved the ending
(fem Shep lives!!)
. I really want a HD remaster before the next one, I'll do it all over again.

Afrocious

I've played and beaten all mass effects. Haven't bought any dlc ever. Really hoping for a "complete edition" with all dlc for ps4/x1. I'd love to do it all over again with the dlc's. This is the one dlc I REALLY want to play. Mass Effecct is probably my favorite series.

If you can shell 12-15 bucks, I say grab Citadel and spend 3-4 hours going through it. You don't need to replay any of the games. I think it's worth that.

What an outstanding DLC. So many funny, great, and memorable moments. One of the best DLC's I've played. A great send off for the trilogy.

Especially enjoyed the dialog between Jack and Miranda.

Ralemont

not me
If you can shell 12-15 bucks, I say grab Citadel and spend 3-4 hours going through it. You don't need to replay any of the games. I think it's worth that.

On top of everything else Citadel has loads of gameplay replay value. The Armax Arena alone provides the best combat challenges of the series, and those who thought ME3's Insanity was too easy definitely have something there.

I played Citadel for 7 hours before I even touched the Armax Arena. Once you count the Arena the value is crazy.

Grisby

On top of everything else Citadel has loads of gameplay replay value. The Armax Arena alone provides the best combat challenges of the series, and those who thought ME3's Insanity was too easy definitely have something there.

I played Citadel for 7 hours before I even touched the Armax Arena. Once you count the Arena the value is crazy.
I didn't mess with it that much but yeah, the dlc has a ton of value.
Grunt's story had me rolling. Reminded me of The Hangover somewhat lol.

Taylor playing in that space strategy game tournament when that eyecatch happened was glorious.
Ha. The camera changing and framing of that sim game with Taylor was amazing.

Top Bottom