• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Brain Age thread

Gazunta

Thanks to Nintendo's generosity.

Awesome so far. My wife was really into thsi when she played the demo a while back so I'm very happy to be ablt to take this back to her when I get home.

So far my brain age is 78, but we have beer to thank for that, honest!

Hahah, it just asked me to draw a koala, a kangaroo and Australia. HOW DID IT KNOW?!

Anyone else playing?
060328_comic.jpg

Gazunta

Yeah, that would have rocked :)

And from the emails I just got tonight, I think David Jaffe was right....but that's another story.

Sudoku is good. I really, really like how you can write "notes" in each space. Im so happy they included a Sudoku game in there.

One thing ive noticed is that either my handwriting sucks (not surprising in my current condition) or its recognition is a bit off - i'd say the former. I'll get used to it!

There's no new activities for mt o try until tommorow I guess....darn it!

Argyle

My brain age is...the same as my real age.

The voice recognition sucks in a noisy room. Don't even bother.

The handwriting recognition ranges from "ok" to "crap." I have a feeling many people will need to adjust the way they write to accomodate the game...for example, it simply will not accept my lowercase b (it usually thinks it's an x), so I started giving it an uppercase B instead. It feels different when you're playing Sudoku, too (it gets most of my numbers when I'm doing the fast calculations but will simply refuse to accept a nicely printed 5 in Sudoku...annoying)

I really like it so far except when I feel cheated by the interface problems - those are the only things that can hold this back from mainstream acceptance here. I wonder how it handles someone with a Southern accent...

got the game today, and i've easily put atleast 4 hours into it. im so hooked (managed to get my mom hooked as well)

i gotta say, when playing the game, im definitely feeling emotions that i've never felt while playing a game.

the game totally works out your brain. this thing is legit.

I have had absolutely zero problems with the voice recognition, not a single problem in two weeks of playing. It's so weird to me that for some reason it seems to be faulty for some people.

With the handwriting recognition, I had to train myself to make my 8s more distinct, but it's been fine since then. Hell, that was probably beneficial anyway; my 8s looks much nicer now. :p

Also, I'm now addicted to Sudoku. I'd never played it before I got Brain Age, but it's awesome.

i've noticed when it comes to the hand writing recognition, the only time it really gives people is when they do clock-wise eights. the game thinks you're writing two. that aside, i've had no problems. actually, i didn't even have that problem, since i write them counter clockwise, but i noticed some friends did.

oh, and the voice stuff, i dunno about this. it's like, you can't be too loud, or too quiet, it has to be like, almost perfect some times. if there's noise in the backround, forget about it.

regardless, i haven't been this hooked on a game since Advance Wars Dual Strike.

M3wThr33

Banned
The hardest part is writing with a stylus and NOT using Graffiti.
I've had a palm too long.
All my 4s are Ls and my Ts are 7s.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This game is fantastic. Especially now on DS Lite.

My official Brain Age is 34. However, once I did get 24 but it wasn't the daily test. I seem always to get the fucking "remember the words" test in my daily, although I thought it was supposed to be random. At least three last dailies have had it.

jenov4

I'm thinking about getting this for my friend's kid's birthday next week. It will be perfect timing but he'll be turning 11. Is he too young for this game?

«þ»

jenov4 said:
I'm thinking about getting this for my friend's kid's birthday next week. It will be perfect timing but he'll be turning 11. Is he too young for this game?

If you're under 20, the game will say that you should take the results with a "grain of salt".

First day played I was age 33. I'm pretty good at Calculations x20, I got 12 seconds :)

jgkspsx

Uh... did all of you attend the GDC keynote? Have retailers broken street date?

I'm planning on picking this up. For $20, it's a nice change of pace.

Is the other (loosen) Brain game more kid-oriented? The screenshots I saw of it looked kinda juvenile, but it seems to have more positive responses.

Vark

Well last week I got my Brain Age to 20 and i've done like 30% of the Soduku puzzles.

Still haven't unlocked all of the things though. I just got hard mode for 'Head Count'

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
jenov4 said:
Big Brain Academy would be better for him. Too bad it doesn't come out until June.

Vark

Yea, i mean I scrawl like a 3 year old and it knows what i'm saying.

Are you one of those freaks that writes a 5 without lifting the pen?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I fluctuate between 20 and 24 (I'm 26).

The reading ones are boring though.

Never thought I'd be hooked to bloody Sudoku though.

xsarien

daedsiluap
We're not gonna talk about my brain age, but the game - in as much as you can call it that - is pretty fun. Apparently I really suck at Sudoku.

Anyway, the handwriting recognition has been a constant thorn in my side. The standard DS stylus doesn't exactly encourage neat handwriting, and mine is pretty abysmal to begin with. So I've had countless 1s interpreted as 7s, and at least once a "4" magically turned into a "15."

Piepz

Ok, I got Brain Age 20 with the first try (yesterday). Checked today again, same - 20. I'm 18 years old (almost 19).

Fun game, I like Sudoku especially on intermediate :D

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
xsarien said:
We're not gonna talk about my brain age, but the game - in as much as you can call it that - is pretty fun. Apparently I really suck at Sudoku.

Anyway, the handwriting recognition has been a constant thorn in my side. The standard DS stylus doesn't exactly encourage neat handwriting, and mine is pretty abysmal to begin with. So I've had countless 1s interpreted as 7s, and at least once a "4" magically turned into a "15."

Totally agree. I hope the copies we got were not entirely final and they refine this.

BiLo

Banned
Just got my copy. The hand-writing recognition like mentioned before sucks ass. I have to write very very very big now and have to use a pencil. It can't recognize 4s and its a paint writing 8s. All this has caused my brain-age to be around 30. What gives...

Seriously the questions are easy, it's just writing with the DS is a pain. If it had better voice recognition and used it for the Math then I would Ace it easily. But I have to write it out and the recognition software has trouble with my handwriting.

Piepz

BiLo said:
Just got my copy. The hand-writing recognition like mentioned before sucks ass. I have to write very very very big now and have to use a pencil. It can't recognize 4s and its a paint writing 8s. All this has caused my brain-age to be around 30. What gives...

Seriously the questions are easy, it's just writing with the DS is a pain. If it had better voice recognition and used it for the Math then I would Ace it easily. But I have to write it out and the recognition software has trouble with my handwriting.
I had problems with "9s" and writing some words/letters, but I adapted really quick to style what IT (the game) like :D

Ranger X

The game is not bad. In fact i really like it but there's something preventing me to buy this. The flaws in the voice recognition and text recognition system. I think it's good already but not enough good yet. If you're a native english speaker no problems. But it's like they didn't consider any of the possible accents in this programming.
The text recognition system also is having problems and does not necessarily recognise what you're typing.
Not much a big flaw but big enough for me not to buy the game.

Piepz

I ignore any voice exercises, because english is not my native language and it rarely understand my "red".
It's great game 'thou... worth every penny :D

E-Nature

my brain age was 90 when I first played it. :lol
but this afternoon I rocked myself down to 51 and tonigh I already was 27!
I think by the end of the week my brain will be as fresh as the one of a 20-year old!

I suck at the calculations, but I totally rock at reading and memory stuff.

Writing numbers works great for me, I only had to relearn how to draw an eight without picking up the stylus.

The handwriting was weird in the word memory game. I wrote a word and it would get nearly all the letters wrong, but once I finished writing, the correct word would appear! I guess it has some sort of prediction function like cellphones.

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
My friend told me the place he pre-ordered it said that they won't be stocking the game as normal and will only supply it to people who pre-ordered. Supposedly you'll have to get the game through Nintendo's website or by pre-ordering. Has anyone else heard anything about this or is it just a shitty outlet?

BiLo

Banned
Calculations I can do, but the damn game never recognizes my answers. Plus you know when it has to determine your brain age by having your say what color the word is? I always say "blue" and it never recognizes it. Has there been these kinds of problems with the Japanese version?

it's official, this game will be bigger here then it was in the japan.

every single last person i've shown it to has gotten hooked on it, and im talking tetris levels. every single time i try to take it back, it's always "just one more, c'mon, it only takes 25 seconds!"

i've yet to get my DS back within 30 minutes of asking for it.

but yeah, anyone i show it to is waiting for its release to buy a DS now. for reference, i've only shown it to people that are 18 years old +

holy shit, i straight up just saw my friend and his girlfriend get in the biggest fight ever over this game.

the competition that comes with the game is just down right vicious.

Just tryed it for the first time. Went to a Best Buy and downloaded the demo.

Im impressed. Smooth presentation, I had absolutly NO problems with voice recognition, nor handwriting.

I was hooked. Red, blue, blue, black. From "50s" to "30s". Not once did the game not recognise what I said.

As for the other demo, the math, way fun. I definitly need it, I dont know what 9x6 is. :lol

No problems with handwriting either. None, and I have shitty handwritting.

Went from walking speed, to walking, to bike, to car. The last time I was writing pretty fast, and again, no issues.

Sudoko was also fun, but easy.

One problem:

One mistake = 20 mintue penalty? :lol

I finished in 6:50 and the bastards added 20 minutes.

I will buy on day one, no question about it.

The interview on 1up was pretty interesting. It seems they put a lot of care and attention into the localization. I'm fairly certain word-of-mouth will be this game's greatest marketing tool. AARP may help a little...

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
jamesinclair said:
Just tryed it for the first time. Went to a Best Buy and downloaded the demo.

Im impressed. Smooth presentation, I had absolutly NO problems with voice recognition, nor handwriting.

I was hooked. Red, blue, blue, black. From "50s" to "30s". Not once did the game not recognise what I said.

As for the other demo, the math, way fun. I definitly need it, I dont know what 9x6 is. :lol

No problems with handwriting either. None, and I have shitty handwritting.

Went from walking speed, to walking, to bike, to car. The last time I was writing pretty fast, and again, no issues.

Sudoko was also fun, but easy.

One problem:

One mistake = 20 mintue penalty? :lol

I finished in 6:50 and the bastards added 20 minutes.

I will buy on day one, no question about it.
Don't play with that option. Be a man. Men don't need to be told they're right, they KNOW they are.

So my speech pathology professor sez that this game probably does me and my peers no good because thanks to school+work the college aged brain is already firing on all cylinders, and thus I would only succeed in fatiguing my brain. She sez I am wasting my brain resources on it (unless its fun and relaxing) and if I wanted to improve my brain power, I'd be better off resting my mind or excercising my body. However, she sez that older adults, especially those at risk for alzheimer's would likely benefit a lot from this game because of the brain stimulation and because it would prevent depression.

saz

Banned
HeadsUpSevenUp said:
So my speech pathology professor sez that this game probably does me and my peers no good because thanks to school+work the college aged brain is already firing on all cylinders, and thus I would only succeed in fatiguing my brain. She sez I am wasting my brain resources on it (unless its fun and relaxing) and if I wanted to improve my brain power, I'd be better off resting my mind or excercising my body. However, she sez that older adults, especially those at risk for alzheimer's would likely benefit a lot from this game because of the brain stimulation and because it would prevent depression.

Maybe she doesn't want you to get smarter than her :D

HeadsUpSevenUp said:

your professor is fucktarded if she thinks even 80% of college students, even at high -level universities, are "firing on all cylinders" with their college jobs and college courses. i personally am working my brain much harder now that college is over and i am actually challenged on a daily basis.

Top Bottom