• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone Else Appalled at the Lack of Custom Soundtracks in Current Gen Consoles?

Dubz

I mean seriously...the original Xbox had custom soundtracks. Then the 360 and the PS3 followed suit (sort of with the PS3). And now 13 years later and they're gone from the face of the earth. How did we let this happen? Where is the rioting in the streets?

I will not buy your crappy subscriber based music services. Do you hear me?

Do you?

Both consoles approach the goal in their latest updates. The bone's October update includes DLNA support through snap (thus sacrificing a quarter of the screen) and the PS4 will support it wih the 2.0 update on Tuesday by way of USB.

Neither of them is full custom soundtrack support, but each has more than halved the distance compared to where they were only a month ago. The goal is within sight.

JayEH

Hopefully they'll patch it into Ground Zeroes once the PS4 update hits tomorrow. The last gen versions already have custom soundtrack support. I need to blast Policenauts music while I'm knocking people out.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The vita has custom soundtrack support, and it is awesome. The ps3 barely had it though.

I wish more games would follow Tekken Tag Tournament 2's example and let you customize specific themes and stages, so good.

Eggbok

ilSpuS0dzIJtq.png

It's complete and utter BS IMO. There should be no "half way" crap. A feature that's been in old gen consoles for 10 years should NOT be dropped from new gen. There's no good excuse for it.

Hopefully they'll patch it into Ground Zeroes once the PS4 update hits tomorrow. The last gen versions already have custom soundtrack support. I need to blast Policenauts music while I'm knocking people out.

That's awesome, I hope they add it for MGSV at least. I wonder if only being able to read off usb will be a problem for in-game features like this.

Dubz

I want to listen to my own driving music when playing racing games. Not someone else's idea of what driving music should be.

EDIT: @SG-17...Open world games say hi.

It's weird how the Vita is the system that started off with the best OS, it's an absolute joy to play anything on that system, to quickly check my calendar, mail, fire up a podcast I downloaded using the excellent browser. The system is just fucking solid and then our consoles are launching with practically nothing in comparison.

The vita has custom soundtrack support, and it is awesome. The ps3 barely had it though.

I wish more games would follow Tekken Tag Tournament 2's example and let you customize specific themes and stages, so good.

I would love being able to replace specific themes in my games. Playing a JRPG and being able to change "Town", "Battle" etc would be awesome. Instead I feel like I have to fumble around to find the perfect song to fit a mood. Tekken 2 definitely did it right.

Unless you are playing a racer or a fighting game why would you ever want to use custom soundtracks?
They're also great in horde modes and free roam games.

My custom soundtracks for Crackdown 2, Reach Firefight and Gears Horde were the shit. Diablo 3 will also get some love once I have the chance.

What I usually do is take the tracks I love from a game's soundtrack and mix them with others that fit. So Halo Reach Firefight had no music until the end, but a custom mix of Halo tracks elevates it to all kinds of awesome.

I wouldn't use it for something like a Transistor, and never use it in campaign missions, but open world, free roaming, hack and slash, horde mode, multiplayer competitive and racing its seasoning that brings out all the flavors.

Unless you are playing a racer or a fighting game why would you ever want to use custom soundtracks?

Open-world after you've had your fill of the regular BGM.

Multiplayer matches in absolutely anything with multiplayer, not just racers or fighting games.

If you really hate a particular game's soundtrack.

Why would you use it in competitive multiplayer (I'm thinking games like Battlefield, TLOU, COD) where audio cues are very important?

If winning is secondary to your enjoyment of a match and you enjoy listening to music while playing.

If the sfx volume is high and the bgm volume is low.

image.php

I mean, I don't know why anyone would ever eat a pistachio..but they do. Options are nice. Especially when we were doing on our previous gaming systems..

Renekton

"Appalled" huh? Maybe you're also disgusted and slapped in the face by missing console features, while mildly concerned about mass torture by ISIS.

Back on topic, let's see what PS4 update 2.0 brings..

"Appalled" huh? Maybe you're also disgusted and slapped in the face by missing console features, while mildly concerned about mass torture by ISIS.

Among the maxims on Lord Naoshige's wall there was this one: "Matters of great concern should be treated lightly." Master lttei commented, "Matters of small concern should be treated seriously." Among one's affairs there should not be more than two or three matters of what one could call great concern. If these are deliberated upon during ordinary times, they can be understood. Thinking about things previously and then handling them lightly when the time comes is what this is all about.

- Hagakure

Aces&Eights

They're also great in horde modes and free roam games.

My custom soundtracks for Crackdown 2, Reach Firefight and Gears Horde were the shit. Diablo 3 will also get some love once I have the chance.

What I usually do is take the tracks I love from a game's soundtrack and mix them with others that fit. So Halo Reach Firefight had no music until the end, but a custom mix of Halo tracks elevates it to all kinds of awesome.

I wouldn't use it for something like a Transistor, and never use it in campaign missions, but open world, free roaming, hack and slash, horde mode, multiplayer competitive and racing its seasoning that brings out all the flavors.

I'm going to make a Lorenna McKennit mix for AC Unity free roam. Journey, once it's out.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Music subscription services are actually amazing, but only if they're called Spotify.
Does Spotify have Shoji Meguro, Hot Freaks or Kanon Wakashima? Seriously, my own music is much better than what any subscription service can offer me. Besides maybe Google All Access. Maybe.

Quotient

Don't both consoles support playing your own music during gaming and with the PS4's upcoming 2.0 allow you to play music from your USB.

Perhaps i am misunderstanding what you mean by "custom" soundtrack

It's complete and utter BS IMO. There should be no "half way" crap. A feature that's been in old gen consoles for 10 years should NOT be dropped from new gen. There's no good excuse for it.

Or maybe there is but because it involves you not getting something you want, it doesn't count, right?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Or maybe there is but because it involves you not getting something you want, it doesn't count, right?
I got dis.
This.
That was one of the many features that should have been integrated from day one IMHO. There are no excuses here, last gen was much longer than what has been historically been the case. Both Sony and MS should have come out of the box well prepared and feature complete with (at a bare minimum) the same level of functionality from the prior gen.
It just makes me reappraise the original Xbox and 360 in a much more positive light. Both were, for a customer like myself, better thought out and planned systems from the onset with solid foundations for the platform to grow from. The current gen consoles feel like they are in a losing running race trying to catch up with what I've already come to expect from a system, let alone with what I actually want going forwards.
This exhibits an appalling lack of understanding about software development / engineering. The previous gens OS's can not just be recycled into completely different hardware with completely different architecture. Coding does not work that way. Coding follows the same process as something like the scientific process. You can't skip steps and you can't throw more bodies to develop it faster. These new operating systems had to be built from the ground up the moment the hardware was finalized, which for the PS4 would be during or after February 2013.

Nevermind nonsense like certifications and patents and the like. The PS4 has and will continue to be updated in a similar pacing to the PS3. Not because they're software team is incompetent or whatever, but because that's the process. The same goes for the Xbox One. Or any modern electronic device with an operating system.

Famassu

Music subscription services are actually amazing, but only if they're called Spotify.
Eh, I had Music Unlimited for a year (there was that super-cheap offer for 12 months of it a couple of years ago) and apart from not being quite as well represented on mobile phones (on the other hand, MU was on Vita & PS3, which I had more need for streaming music than on my Galaxy S), the selection never felt all that limited. Whatever I had on Spotify's playlists, I could find on Music Unlimited. Can't remember there ever being anything that wasn't on MU that Spotify would have had. And I don't listen to Top 10 pop artists of today, but a lot more obscure stuff.

why do people do this? always creating unnecessary post. You had all year to moan you (probably) did not and when that feature will be coming in a couple of hours you want to rant?

bombshell

There's nothing to patch in. The PS4 update allows you to play your own music in the background for all games.

Quasar

You know...I dont think I ever used custom soundtracks before.

I guess I trust game designers to provide a soundtrack that works with the game to make it better like
I do film score writers.

Top Bottom