• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nordic Games acquires...de Blob!

maxcriden

Nordic Games purchased a number of THQ IPs last year including Darksiders. Now you can add another franchise to the list: de Blob.

“de Blob is just a great and truly unique franchise. We are excited about what the future holds for this polychromatic extravaganza as the newest addition to our portfolio. We will evaluate opportunities with the existing games, as well as potential sequels.”

source: http://nintendoeverything.com/nordic-games-acquires-de-blob-ip/

I think I have both Wii games but haven't played 'em. They're fun, right?

Yes,yes,yes,yes. One of last generations hidden gems. I really hope this means they put out a collection or something, so people can finally play them in HD.

I had thought this was already in the lot they bought from THQ. Guess I was wrong.

Highly doubt anything comes from this just like Red Faction and Darksiders.

KNT-Zero

Tried that little demo they made on PC. Liked it.
Played the first official game on Wii. Loved it.
And a month ago I found the sequel for the Wii, can't wait to try it.

If there's one thing I completely loved about the game, is the music and how the color you use adds different instruments to it. Amazing!

Another franchise saved from the grave...or just paseed into a different one;
I think I have both Wii games but haven't played 'em. They're fun, right?
The first one has its flaws like really long levels (plus it has been known to crash) and waggle to jump. I believe the second game fixed both of those though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think both of the original games are good and I'd love to see them brought forward on platforms that actually exist in 2014 and beyond. I'm not sure the concept has much gas left in the tank so I can't imagine the value of a sequel, though. But that's fine, Nordic Games is mostly buying all these IP for pennies on the dollar and then making a profit on the passive income. It's a smart, risk-adverse strategy.

jimi_dini

The first one has its flaws like really long levels (plus it has been known to crash) and waggle to jump. I believe the second game fixed both of those though.

Wat?

Never had a problem with the first Blob. It was awesome. The second one wasn't as good. I still bought it for Wii, PS3 and even DS. The second one missed quite a bit of polish. The levels are quite large in the second as well. I'm not even sure, but I thought the levels in the second one were larger. I think that they shouldn't gone multiplatform. That was a huge mistake.

And strangely I actually liked waggle to jump. Sadly they removed it entirely instead of at least giving people an option.

El Odio

Banned
Oh man I hope this means we can get another game. I bought the first one randomly 2 years ago and fell in love with the whole concept and OST.

jholmes

Oh cool. I liked the first one, although I thought the stages were a touch too long and I'll never forget almost 100%ing a stage but jumping down the exit early because of waggle. I'd probably give a port a shot -- I can imagine the game's look being great in HD.

Timeless

YES!

Please port de Blob 2 to PC. It only ran at 720p on PS3 and 360.

Also, it's impossible to get the DB1 / DB2 soundtrack legally without paying a LOT of money for it. Digital FLAC release PLS.

I always thought they should have ported DB1 to the DB2 engine on 360/PS3 and sold it for cheap.

http://www.nordicgames.at/index.php/article/nordic_games_acquires_de_blob_ip_from_thq
Nordic Games acquires “de Blob” IP from THQ

Nordic Games announced today that it has closed an asset purchase agreement with THQ Inc. and THQ International GmbH to acquire the intellectual property “de Blob”.
Vienna, AUSTRIA, October 31, 2014

Nordic Games announced today that it has closed an asset purchase agreement with THQ Inc. and THQ International GmbH to acquire the intellectual property “de Blob”.

As usual, the acquisition itself is handled by Nordic Games Licensing AB, based in Karlstad, Sweden, whereas the day-to-day business (sales and distribution, evaluation of sequels & new content etc.) will be conducted by Nordic Games GmbH, based in Vienna, Austria.

“de Blob is just a great and truly unique franchise”, comments Reinhard Pollice, Business & Product Development Director at Nordic Games. “We are excited about what the future holds for this polychromatic extravaganza as the newest addition to our portfolio. We will evaluate opportunities with the existing games, as well as potential sequels.”

About the series
de Blob is a unique 3D platformer video game that has its gameplay centered around color.
After its initial release for Windows PC in 2006 by a group of students at the Utrecht School of the Arts and Utrecht University, THQ released it on the Nintendo Wii system in 2008 and received broad critical acclaim.
In 2011 de Blob 2 was released on PS3, X360 and Wii which introduced a new 2D platforming mechanic in addition to the existing gameplay mechanics.

Wat?

Never had a problem with the first Blob. It was awesome. The second one wasn't as good. I still bought it for Wii, PS3 and even DS. The second one missed quite a bit of polish. The levels are quite large in the second as well. I'm not even sure, but I thought the levels in the second one were larger. I think that they shouldn't gone multiplatform. That was a huge mistake.

And strangely I actually liked waggle to jump. Sadly they removed it entirely instead of at least giving people an option.

Agree 100%, making the sequel multiplat was a big mistake. When the Wii original sold 700k and the sequel seemingly sold less combined on all platforms it was on, that says a lot.

HUELEN10

I think both of the original games are good and I'd love to see them brought forward on platforms that actually exist in 2014 and beyond. I'm not sure the concept has much gas left in the tank so I can't imagine the value of a sequel, though. But that's fine, Nordic Games is mostly buying all these IP for pennies on the dollar and then making a profit on the passive income. It's a smart, risk-adverse strategy.
What about mobile? I can see this being lucrative if done right.

rjc571

Banned
Wat?

Yeah waggle to jump is a great mechanic when used properly, it worked great in De Blob and in the Metroid Prime Trilogy as well. I was sad that it wasn't used in De Blob 2.

ugly

Rad! That reminds me, I stopped playing the original long ago on this level where I was trying to get the blimp or some shit and ran out of time! I just dropped it... It was a sweet game. I'ma play that next time I feel bored. Woo De blob!

How much money and how many studios do Nordic Games have anyway? Haven't they purchased a whole bunch of other IPs recently too? Wonder if they'll actually make full-scale sequels.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The best thing to come out of THQ in the last decade.

The games needed a lot more polish to actually be great, but the concept worked really well.

Vandole

I loved the original de Blob, but it was one of those games that I really don't think needed a sequel. The major innovation in the sequel was the addition of 2-D gameplay segments. That kind of was a sign that it wasn't going to be anything other than "more of the same." Good for Nordic I guess, but honestly I'm good if i never play the series again.

Camjo-Z

Can't say I'm that excited, picked up de Blob 2 for PS3 in a sale and it was one of the most boring platformers I've ever played.

Hard to get excited considering they haven't given Wii U any sort of proper thought yet (we re-released Darksiders 2 Wii U in EU!!! Hooray?) and Blue Tongue is LONG gone. Not to mention 3DS was never spoken of period.

The GamePad would be am amazing tool for painting and whatnot, maybe not during normal gameplay, but come on, it's paint!

Hell deBlob 2 was announced for 3DS at E3 2010 and never came out like virtually every western game on that damn list.

Agree 100%, making the sequel multiplat was a big mistake. When the Wii original sold 700k and the sequel seemingly sold less combined on all platforms it was on, that says a lot.

I think it says more about the sorry state THQ was in, really. The first de Blob had a huge marketing push, while the sequel sort of just... quietly farted onto retail shelves.

I got de Blob for Christmas one year, but didn't end up playing it. I'd still like to someday. I did however rent de Blob 2 and beat it. It was pretty good, but nothing to write home about either.

Top Bottom