• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unfinished/unreleased games

there was a great thread on here not too long ago that had tons of stuff about killed resident evil content and, i believe, killed games/content from other games as well. I've spent a half hour searching. anyone know what im talking about/can point me to the thread?

thanks in advance :)

Rlan

Not the thread itself, but I Run a website which is dedicated to all the crap Sonic Team left out of their games. Like Hidden Palace in Sonic 2, Multiplayer in Burning Rangers, and a bunch of levels from Sonic Adventure, plus shitloads more. Loads on Sonic X-Treme too [and loads not there, since Chris Senn, one of the main guys of the original game, is currently loading off heaps of stuff he did during the time he was there! :)]

/plug.

Rlan said:
Not the thread itself, but I Run a website which is dedicated to all the crap Sonic Team left out of their games. Like Hidden Palace in Sonic 2, Multiplayer in Burning Rangers, and a bunch of levels from Sonic Adventure, plus shitloads more. Loads on Sonic X-Treme too [and loads not there, since Chris Senn, one of the main guys of the original game, is currently loading off heaps of stuff he did during the time he was there! :)]

/plug.

Thanks + Interesting!

unreleased stuff like this is always a great insight.

Star Fox 2 is the big one for me. The game was shown at CES in a completely beatable form, and a copy available on the internet is 95% finished (although I'm not condoning that), it really is something they could realistically finish patching up and have a semi-big release to the Rev Virtual Console. It presents a nice evolution to the series, with the three different types of Arwings and their transforming modes, and a sort of "always running" map/battle that you had to keep track of. Some people have mentioned short times finishing it, but it's still enjoyable, and is much longer and more complicated if you tackle a higher difficulty (it's not just going to up the damage level or something).

Really, the only reasons it didn't see release were 1. It was close to the SNES's end, and Star Fox 64 became a priority title for the N64, and 2. The Super FX-2 chip would've made for costly carts. (Although a few games were released that used it, I think SMW2: Yoshi's Island did.)

Raw64life

I'm surprised that we haven't never seen StarFox 2 on GBA or DS yet. It's a finished game just waiting to be released and could easily be ported to the DS.

7Th

coverimage.gif

Never Forget.

Rorschach said:

ugh... quoted for truth...

i bought a PC with the projected specs the game would require when it was to come out later in the year... i think that was 2002, maybe even 2001 :(

MC Safety

Capcom showed off a Robotech game for the N64 years ago. I even got to play it at E3 one year. I'm not sure how far along it was, but the game was never released.

Musashi Wins! said:
I think I'm the only person, but I'm ticked that the english language version of Rent A Hero sits with game reviewers.

...I think I'm going to cry. Why did you have to remind me? I won't risk banning by asking for it.

Ronabo

Let us not forget trash such as Thrill Kill. Totally finished it was.

I remember a PS1 game where you were a giant rock wheel. That one looked silly.

MC Safety

Musashi Wins! said:
I think I'm the only person, but I'm ticked that the english language version of Rent A Hero sits with game reviewers.

It wasn't that good on the Dreamcast, let alone Xbox.

It was, however, suitably wacky. It was also, I think, the only game we reviewed for Xbox Nation that was never released.

Edit: Also, Red Star. D'oh!

Ronabo said:
Let us not forget trash such as Thrill Kill. Totally finished it was.

I remember a PS1 game where you were a giant rock wheel. That one looked silly.

it kinda got a release too. Wu Tang: Shaolin Style.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Vormund said:
It was by GameTek, who went bankrupt.

http://ign64.ign.com/articles/090/090835p1.html

How did it play? I was interested in it at the time.
Well shit, after releasing about a dozen shitty game show games, it's no wonder they went bankrupt. -_-

Entering entire answers to Final Feud, Jeopardy, and Wheel of Fortune manually on an on-screen keyboard within ~45 seconds with no room for error = :(

MC Safety

Vormund said:
It was by GameTek, who went bankrupt.

http://ign64.ign.com/articles/090/090835p1.html

How did it play? I was interested in it at the time.

I'm a long way removed from the game, but I remember Robotech to be a workable idea with unwieldy space combat. There was a crazy multiple target lock-on thing and it was very distracting the way the game would form flashing circles around every single enemy ship.

Capcom was guarded about the project and only let me play for a few minutes.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
the year 20XX said:
...I think I'm going to cry. Why did you have to remind me? I won't risk banning by asking for it.

you touch me. if it were out there I would send it to you.

MC Safety said:
It wasn't that good on the Dreamcast, let alone Xbox.

It was, however, suitably wacky. It was also, I think, the only game we reviewed for Xbox Nation that was never released.

Edit: Also, Red Star. D'oh!

Red Star should have been released.

Also, did you guys get the english Dinosaur Hunting? That game is good.

MC Safety

Musashi Wins! said:
you touch me. if it were out there I would send it to you.

Red Star should have been released.

Also, did you guys get the english Dinosaur Hunting? That game is good.

We did review Dinosaur Hunting. Was that not released either?

As I recall, Xbox Nation premier reviewer Paul V. Byrnes gave the game a 4 out of 10.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
MC Safety said:
We did review Dinosaur Hunting. Was that not released either?

As I recall, Xbox Nation premier reviewer Paul V. Byrnes gave the game a 4 out of 10.

It was released in Japan only. He undershot that one :(

MC Safety

Musashi Wins! said:
It was released in Japan only. He undershot that one :(

So:

Dinosaur Hunting
Rent-A-Hero
Red Star

Le sigh.

What company was going to release Dinosaur Hunting in the United States?

Coen

Looking Glass Studios, of System Shock, Deus Ex and Thief fame, developed a RC Car racer called Mini Racers for Nintendo 64 which was supposedly finished and just waiting for an opportunity to be released by Nintendo. Unfortunetaly, Nintendo decided against publishing. I'd like to see it surface as a DS game, because the demo was very fun and it had really nice multiplayer potential.

EDIT: Here's a video

FlameOfCallandor said:
My friend actually had this. Why did it never get published?

it was suppose to be released right around one of those violence in games hot button moments and the game was pretty violent with dismemberment and what have you. It might even have been around the time of columbine. I remeber finding it weird that there was such a reaction to a fighter at that point in time. sort of an mortal kombat snes-genesis flashback. I believe there was a not-quite-complete version making the rounds in darker of markets. Same engine as Shoalin Style pretty much. I think it actually got to the point of having print ads with a release date named, but i could be wrong.

Top Bottom