• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eitr - new trailer for the indie isometric viking-themed Diablo/Dark Souls-like

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
6-min gameplay trailer, courtesy of Rock Paper Shotgun:
Eitr combines Souls-style combat with the ultra-dark isometric dungeons of the original Diablo. Not sold? The world is Norse-inspired, with a nameless, shieldmaiden protagonist who’s birth was tampered with by Loki, causing all all light to be drained from the world in the process.
[...]
Combat is careful. It’s about positioning yourself at the right distance away from the enemy, learning attack patterns to effectively counter them, and carefully monitoring your stamina. If you don’t, death is quickly dealt by all but the most basic enemies. Rotting rats run at you with unpredictable movements but have low health, making charging them down an effective strategy. The undead shamble along with shields and spears, and blocking and counterattacking are the best methods to avoid being struck by a deadly combo. The 2D plane makes combat simpler than the Souls games, but also removes some of the frustrations implicit in navigating a 3D space. Even at this early stage, it feels great.
(more info at RPS)

Some cool gifs from the game's website:
tumblr_nef2z3MQbG1u2uscho2_r1_400.gif
tumblr_nebp0ytZvf1u2uscho1_r2_400.gif
tumblr_nedmhr2wtn1u2uscho1_400.gif

The protagonist looks great:
shieldmaiden.gif

I'm not generally a big fan of retro pixel games but as a Souls fan this of course appeals to me. I hope the dungeons won't be randomly generated, couldn't find info about that. I wonder if there's a loot system. Diablo is mentioned a lot as influence, but that could be the isometric dark dungeon aesthetic, not necessarily the loot aspect. [Edit: the dev tweeted that there will indeed be a loot system and the dungeons are not randomly generated, good news!]

Anyway, didn't see a thread about it so I thought I'd share. Burn me at the bonfire if old. :)

Jobbs

Banned
I love everything about what I'm seeing. So much it's making me reconsider what type of game my next project will be.

cjp

It does look pretty good. I just checked out the dev's Twitter feed and they stated they're building it with controller support as they'd really like to bring it to consoles too.

Wonder if it will have a multi mode. I'm well aware that not all games need to be multi, just curious. Many Diablo-style games are, and I like playing them with friends.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Female protagonist, campfire, pixel art.

Now that's an indie game!

Sarcasm aside, this looks pretty damn cool.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It does look pretty good. I just checked out the dev's Twitter feed and they stated they're building it with controller support as they'd really like to bring it to consoles too.
Oh, good point, I hadn't even thought of that, but yeah, I would absolutely need controller support myself. I don't mind playing on PC but console support would be nice to have.

KingJolly

Banned
What a coincidence, I was searching for a dark souls like indie game. Other than Below this is also looking to scratch my itch.

Hopefully it releases soon.

Sentenza

Love the concept, love the art, but after looking at the 6 minutes trailer I'd say the game still has a lot to prove in terms of mechanics and overall variety.

Haunted

Looks absolutely wonderful.

Loving this new wave of 2D games clearly inspired by Dark Souls. Shadowcrypt, Below, Titan Souls, Eitr... and many others with overt and not so overt homages to the Souls series.

Dark Souls has clearly been a hugely influential title beyond what anyone could have anticipated.

RK9039

Looks absolutely wonderful.

Loving this new wave of 2D games clearly inspired by Dark Souls. Shadowcrypt, Below, Titan Souls, Eitr... and many others with overt and not so overt homages to the Souls series.

Dark Souls has clearly been a hugely influential title beyond what anything could have anticipated.

Agreed, this game and Below especially look interesting.

Haunted

Love the concept, love the art, but after looking at the 6 minutes trailer I'd say the game still has a lot to prove in terms of mechanics and overall variety.
I think they're extremely far along for only a few months of development with a 2-man team. This should be considered alpha footage, if that, and it honestly looks pretty amazing with that in mind.

Elixist

i agree, almost wish it was polygons so we could see tons of different armors and easier to switch up the environment art as well.

Haunted

Awesome. Already better than D3. But as a german the title is a little bit graphic. ^^
You mean because of Eiter?

This word Eitr (meaning poisonous substance) is where our German word Eiter comes from (deriving from the same Proto-Germanic etimology). :D

majik13

looks great. Trailer would have been better if the dissolve edits didnt fade out the bg noise completely. Pretty distracting.

spliced

Graphics aren't great and I was unimpressed by the gifs but watching the video makes it more appealing. The sound effects are really good and the combat looks ok although kinda repetitive, hopefully it has lots of enemy variety. The status bars in the corner are all wrong because all the fighting is happening in the middle of the screen and I can't see that and the bars at the same time.

Uthred

"Indie Dark Souls-like" made me roll my eyes, but it actually looks pretty cool.

Exactly, I'll be happy when people get over the "Its the Dark Souls of such and such!", "I put hot sauce on my ham sandwich, its the dark souls of lunch!"

Zero²

Looks totally like D1, and that's not a bad thing at all!
It is on Unity3d so a console port shouldn't be hard should it?

Top Bottom