• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cool iPhone/PS4 YouTube Tip

I am probably so late to this, but during the time I had been waiting for the PS4 YouTube app allowing me to sign in to my YouTube (which can be done now), I noticed that through my iPhone and its YouTube app (if I had Bluetooth on) I could "cast" my videos through my iPhone onto my PS4 through its YouTube app. Like I said, I'm sure I'm late to this, but for those unaware, I hope this tip is useful.

You can also do a similar thing withthe Xbox one. If your browsinf YouTube kn google chrome on your pc (or maybe any device) you can cast it to your Xbox one.

Never used it but my Xbox always pops up.

It only works for me when bluetooth on my phone is enabled. The option completely disappears when bluetooth is disabled on my phone.
Are you sure you're not thinking about wifi. Because it's using wifi I believe

oldmario

It only works for me when bluetooth on my phone is enabled. The option completely disappears when bluetooth is disabled on my phone.

you just pair the devices up via the internet and remotely send a video from the iphone to the ps4 using wifi, no bluetooth needed

Yes, this works with almost every Youtube app out there now and also Smart TV's. Definitely a cool trick. The PS4 UI actually explains it the first time you open youtube

MavFan619

Banned
It worked before the YouTube app was on PS4 from the browser and on PS3 as well. So much better than scrolling through letters on the app to search.

you just pair the devices up via the internet and remotely send a video from the iphone to the ps4 using wifi, no bluetooth needed

I just tried it again. I can now do this without Bluetooth. I wonder if Bluetooth needs to be enabled for the first connection. I first noticed this was possible when my brother was able use his phone to watch his videos through the PS4, but I wasn't. I couldn't figure out why he could, but I couldn't. I noticed he had the icon, but I didn't. It was then when I realized my Bluetooth was switched off for some reason. Once I rectified that it worked perfectly. Because of that, I assumed Bluetooth needed to be on for it to work every time. It doesn't. It just appears that I needed it to be on the first time.

SystemUser

Does the PS4 Netflix app have cast compatibility yet? This is one of the features I really like on the PS3 netflix app. I guess I could turn on my PS4 and check.

Does the PS4 Netflix app have cast compatibility yet? This is one of the features I really like on the PS3 netflix app. I guess I could turn on my PS4 and check.

Not sure, I canceled my Netflix subscription recently and only got my first smartphone last month. I had no clue some of this functionality was even possible on PS3 (despite knowing it had built in Bluetooth support).

IISANDERII

I am probably so late to this, but during the time I had been waiting for the PS4 YouTube app allowing me to sign in to my YouTube (which can be done now), I noticed that through my iPhone and its YouTube app (if I had Bluetooth on) I could "cast" my videos through my iPhone onto my PS4 through its YouTube app. Like I said, I'm sure I'm late to this, but for those unaware, I hope this tip is useful.
Yeah you are a little late to this; this has been available since the PS4 launched last year lol

Aside, I'm not using the app anymore because I have to sign back in every couple of days while the browser always kept me signed in on youtube.

shink

The Android Youtube app does the same. You need to pair the PS4 with the app and be on the same network from memory.

Yeah you are a little late to this; this has been available since the PS4 launched last year lol

Aside, I'm not using the app anymore because I have to sign back in every couple of days while the browser always kept me signed in on youtube.

Really, it makes you sign in every few days? I wonder if that's a glitch, because they officially announced today the signing in finally works correctly.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
I just tried it again. I can now do this without Bluetooth. I wonder if Bluetooth needs to be enabled for the first connection. I first noticed this was possible when my brother was able use his phone to watch his videos through the PS4, but I wasn't. I couldn't figure out why he could, but I couldn't. I noticed he had the icon, but I didn't. It was then when I realized my Bluetooth was switched off for some reason. Once I rectified that it worked perfectly. Because of that, I assumed Bluetooth needed to be on for it to work every time. It doesn't. It just appears that I needed it to be on the first time.

Apps like Youtube and Netflix on your phone do not use Bluetooth at all. They use DIAL to connect to other apps on the same WiFi network. DIAL is sometimes unreliable, so it can leading you to make false assumptions.

Apps like Youtube and Netflix on your phone do not use Bluetooth at all. They use DIAL to connect to other apps on the same WiFi network. DIAL is sometimes unreliable, so it can leading you to make false assumptions.

Thanks for that info. I had no idea this even existed or that Sony was one of the developers of this tech. I'm assuming the unreliability you mention is why I couldn't get it to work initially. Despite that, I hope more apps will take advantage of this.

jediyoshi

Thanks for that info. I had no idea this even existed or that Sony was one of the developers of this tech. I'm assuming the unreliability you mention is why I couldn't get it to work initially. Despite that, I hope more apps will take advantage of this.

This functionality exists when you're just using the web browser as well
https://www.youtube.com/tv

Pushing currently playing videos from one device onto the other is completely contained through the web, no specific networking involved

Sirim

Pretty standard feature for a lot of apps, such as Netflix as well.

You can do this with anything you can pair. Iphone, Android, Desktop/Laptops, etc.

Top Bottom