• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company of heroes 2 Ardennes Assault - Yo where is the hype?

Gibbo

I mean seriously- the game releases in less than 24 hours and there's hardly any hype both on Neogaf and the whole internet in general.

I'm a huge fan of both COH's campaigns and seems like this expansion is a meaty single player campaign - so I'm quite puzzled as to why there's almost zero marketing on this.

Moobabe

It felt as though COH 2 wasn't as well received as the first? I guess that has something to do with it - I've sunk 100+ hours into COH 1's multiplayer but never picked up 2.

It felt as though COH 2 wasn't as well received as the first? I guess that has something to do with it - I've sunk 100+ hours into COH 1's multiplayer but never picked up 2.

I remember the performance of COH2 on release was abysmal. To get it running acceptably you had to turn down the settings so much that it looked worse than the 5+ year old first game.

Did they ever get around to fixing that?

IpKaiFung

the single player dlc on its own is €40 / £30 far too expensive imo and Relic's marketing has always been notoriously bad for all of their products.

They think they can get by with a couple of weak sauce articles in pc gamer or polygon.

JayTapp

I remember the performance of COH2 on release was abysmal. To get it running acceptably you had to turn down the settings so much that it looked worse than the 5+ year old first game.

True I remember playing CoH on my old computer, got 40 ish FPS with medium settings.

Then I bought CoH2, couldn't get it to run faster than 1-2 frames per 5/sec. Complete Slideshow. Never made it past the cutscene, had to kill the process.

And the multiplayer unit balance was horrible. I don't know if it still is.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Both CoH2 and MoW:AS2 seemed to get forgotten fairly quickly.

That they did.

I was waiting patiently for CoH2 but the delay from February/March to June was terrible timing for me due to some massive life changes.

However, once I get back on the PC wagon this Christmas I'm ready to suckle at the teats of lots of heroes. An entire company of them, in fact.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Performance has improved a bit, but for me, CoH1 still offers better visuals (maxed out) and mostly constant 60fps, while 2 at low/medium has trouble maintaining an average of 45fps.

Kade

They lost me at CoH2 launch. I'll check it out now that I've got a better rig but man, the game was almost unplayable for me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Company of Heroes was made as THQ was in its final throes of bankruptcy and people were leaving every studio there left and right amid a torrent of budget cuts, and it really shows in CoH2.

When your base product isn't up to par, people aren't going to be very interested in the expanded content, so overall they should really be focusing the vast majority of their effort on Dawn of War 3, trying to make a notably better base game to start with.

The reviews seem good, i skipped COH2 after playing COH1 for hundreds of hours online. I just didn't like the new multiplayer mechanics they put in. Pricing for this expansion is way to high. I might get this expansion when the price drops, i was a big fan of COH1's single player and the reviews says it's decent

I love coh2 and still play very regularly, online. I am not interested in dropping $40 for a single player expansion. When more multi-player dlc comes out I am all over that.

I was really disappointed by CoH2's campaign. It played far too much like Dawn of War 2 in my opinion and didn't feature any sort of strong base building. It had some interesting concepts but I didn't really enjoy what I was playing. I stopped after the fifth mission I believe.

Relic destroyed the first game by adding two poorly thought-out new factions, ongoing balance issues, and extremely slow support (took a year to get out one patch while there were still game-breaking balance issues). CoH2 was made by a team that had very little to do with vanilla CoH and published by a company that was dying. I never wanted to be anywhere near it after my experience with post-Opposing Fronts CoH.

Keasar

Information have been extremely lackluster so I had absolutely no idea what it would be doing different from the ordinary campaign. I play multiplayer nowadays a ton with friends but never touched the singleplayer apart from the first few missions.

Personally, would have been more satisfied with the addition of the British forces, need my favorite army from the original back.

Sanjay

CoH 2 ran like shit, I'm waiting for patches, people forget but in CoH, they spent years patching and tweaking to get it where it got.

SpyGuy239

Only just heard about this from the PC Gamer Review. Got all excited, then I saw the price. Almost a full priced game? WTF?

I'm not buying anytime soon. Goddamn you Relic.

CoH2 was and remains a bit of a technical mess, it's extremely demanding but doesn't have the graphical oomph to show for it. The base game was quite anemic for content and they've been milking us for DLC ever since - DLC commanders, cosmetic DLC (I don't have a problem with Cosmetic stuff for reference, I'm just listing it), Theatre of War missions, an expansion pack (Western Front Armies), and now a new campaign. It took until WFA release to get game lobbies. On a PC exclusive RTS game.

Price of Western Front Armies to get USF and OKW in multiplayer - 20 dollars.
Price of Ardennes Assault DLC (which is a SP campaign) - 40 dollars / 30 pounds.

It's a competitive RTS and a lot of the community is more interested in the MP side of the game than the SP. Finally, it has been pretty sparsely marketed. I actually forgot it was coming out until I went "huh, what was this 1GB update for the game?" then looked up the patch notes and found out that was the AA campaign.

Relic destroyed the first game by adding two poorly thought-out new factions, ongoing balance issues, and extremely slow support (took a year to get out one patch while there were still game-breaking balance issues). CoH2 was made by a team that had very little to do with vanilla CoH and published by a company that was dying. I never wanted to be anywhere near it after my experience with post-Opposing Fronts CoH.

CoH 2 ran like shit, I'm waiting for patches, people forget but in CoH, they spent years patching and tweaking to get it where it got.

#BringBackGliderCrush

CoH2 is getting patched on a 4-8 week schedule since WFA came out, it's not like they're abandoning this game. The game balance is still pretty shitty though - I feel like Russians are forced to use cheesy strategies to be competitively viable, and Allies in general are a joke in larger team-games.

Sanjay

#BringBackGliderCrush

CoH2 is getting patched on a 4-8 week schedule since WFA came out, it's not like they're abandoning this game. The game balance is still pretty shitty though - I feel like Russians are forced to use cheesy strategies to be competitively viable, and Allies in general are a joke in larger team-games.

I loved going Commandos so #BringBackKangarooPIATs

Gibbo

Anyone else playing this? I think its a nice little twist on the standard coh formula. only disappointing thing is that there is zero base buillding from the 3 hours ive played so far

Anyone else playing this? I think its a nice little twist on the standard coh formula. only disappointing thing is that there is zero base buillding from the 3 hours ive played so far
Ardennes assault is really disappointing. The campaign is like skirmish maps against the cpu and not many have a real structure to them like the vanilla campaign. If I knew it to was going to be like that I wouldn't have bought it. Back to 4v4 multiplayer for me.

longdi

Banned
They lost me at CoH2 launch. I'll check it out now that I've got a better rig but man, the game was almost unplayable for me.

I've been playing tons of Coh2 mp lately, with the 2 new factions, and the game is much much better now than few months back.

Give it another shot if you are a coh1 fan.

I also gave the sp a miss. Didnt even bothered with AA DLC.

The performance was fine for me at launch, probably because i was and still is using a 290X. Game works better on AMD than Nvidia. yay!

4v4 is trash.

Every second game I play I get paired up against the 88-SS-Fuhrer-Division or some similar nazi fetish axis clan. And not only are they more prepared, but thanks to OKW they're 90% guaranteed to win any game against equally skilled players because of the Volks-into-ober-into-panther meta. Then they have one Ostheer player who goes close air support or elefant doctrine just to make sure that even if you get a B4 to counter them, they can just destroy it outright with two mouse clicks.

You could make a case that Allies are very competitive in 2v2, and they're obviously competitive in 1v1. But large team games are Axis city.

Top Bottom