• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sumo Digital is horribly underrated.

Silky

Banned
Responsible for the OutRun console ports from OutRun 2 - Online Arcade, the spectacular Sonic ASR series, New International Track & Field, the 360 version of Forza Horizon 2 and now LittleBigPlanet 3 (fixing the physics in a LBP is a gold star alone.), SD is a very very talented studio. Particularly in the racing genre, which I really hope they break free of licenses and work on forming their own traditional arcade racer or kart racer. They definitely have the chops to do their own thing.

Or at least, with the reception of LBP3 being solid, the team can work their magic on ModNation Racers.

Wait, are you telling me that LBP3 isn't floaty nonsense? I've always wanted to like LBP, since it's a great idea for a game, but the platforming was so bad that I could never get into it.

And yeah, ModNation Racers would be a pretty logical next step for the team.

Slixshot

Banned
Wait, are you telling me that LBP3 isn't floaty nonsense? I've always wanted to like LBP, since it's a great idea for a game, but the platforming was so bad that I could never get into it.

Op, plz respond

OddSockZA

I'd honestly be happy with *another* ASR. Transformed was great. I thought they did a good job with LBP 3 as well; some of those physics puzzles are downright clever.

Putty

Having worked on a number of games with Sumo i can confirm...They are a fabulous outfit to work with 8)

Responsible for the OutRun console ports from OutRun 2 - Online Arcade, the spectacular Sonic ASR series, New International Track & Field, the 360 version of Forza Horizon 2 and now LittleBigPlanet 3 (fixing the physics in a LBP is a gold star alone.), SD is a very very talented studio. Particularly in the racing genre, which I really hope they break free of licenses and work on forming their own traditional arcade racer or kart racer. They definitely have the chops to do their own thing.

Or at least, with the reception of LBP3 being solid, the team can work their magic on ModNation Racers.

Wait, for real? I might actually buy LBP3 now.

I've been a huge fan of theirs for years, and for me their high point was putting Pyramid Head into Track & Field - c'mon, that's so genius.

Lernaean

Banned
Yeah, they improved the physics.

Ok, i'm sorry but i'll have to push it a little bit more. Improved or fixed? because it was a mess and if it's fixed LBP3 just became interesting.

Also on topic, Sumo Digital is great, Sonic racing is great (even though i prefer MK8 personally), and i agree they need to be given the opportunity to make their own game at some point.

Alx

They're surprisingly versatile (in a completely unrelated genre they did Xbox Fitness too).
I'm not sure it would benefit them to try to release their own IPs though, as long as their talent is reknown in the industry and publishers contract them to develop/port their major licenses, they'll get success without taking too many risks.

Silky

Banned
specify, god damn it, specify :(

Ok, i'm sorry but i'll have to push it a little bit more. Improved or fixed? because it was a mess and if it's fixed LBP3 just became interesting.

Also on topic, Sumo Digital is great, Sonic racing is great (even though i prefer MK8 personally), and i agree they need to be given the opportunity to make their own game at some point.

Much to the delight of people who had problems with the handling in previous LittleBigPlanet games, Sumo Digital has taken much care in carefully tweaking how Sackboy handles while staying true to the "feel" of the game. He turns tighter and lands more precisely, but will still be very familiar to anyone who's played before. As a bonus, creators can now tweak the physics and controls further to best serve their own purposes.

:eek:

Dunkley

Loved their work with SASRT on PC, so I went and grabbed Forza Horizon 2 for the 360 a bit ago.

Even though it's a far cry from the Xbox One version visually, it's still a fantastic racer on the 360. Sumo really did a great job with it.

Ferr986

Yea they are, their work is awesome.

In fact, I never played any LBP, but Im thinking on getting LBP3 on my PS4 because I trust on them.

Percy

Banned
Indeed. Reading some of the shit about them in that LBP3 review thread today has had me rolling my eyes so hard.

Outrun 2 for Xbox (one of the first games Sumo made) was an amazing game (I can still play all the tracks in my dreams), and they haven't made a bad game since.

Cyd0nia

Banned
Where Donkey Show at? Feel the love man

Agreed. One of my favourite UK based developers, they haven't put a foot wrong for me.

Bgamer90

Banned
I would love a current gen Sonic racing. Don't know if it will happen though -- iirc, Transformed was pretty much a flop.

Ninja Dom

Out Run 2006 on PSP was fantastic!!! Loved that game.

I got a Vita but no PSP, anyway I can play this game again?

Also was Sumo Digital responsible for the iOS ports of the Sonic Racing games? I got them on my iPhone, but never played them. How are they on the iPhone?

Dr. Buni

Definitely. They made the best kart game, after all. Hopefully SEGA is willing to hire them again to make Sonic Transformed 2.

Enron

Banned
Particularly in the racing genre, which I really hope they break free of licenses and work on forming their own traditional arcade racer or kart racer. They definitely have the chops to do their own thing.

Still waiting on my miku racer

Videos show it's still floaty but less so. I think of another game called Puppeteer and I feel like LBP should copy those jump mechanics if possible.

There is this....aura of pre-SNES Rare around them.

Like... they make some kinda shitty licensed stuff, but they make some genuinly great games too. I hope they are able to transition to SNES+N64-era Rare soon :p

Definitely one of the good UK based studios.

The physics thing was mentioned by banana a couple of weeks ago, nice to see it confirmed.

That alone has put the game on my radar...

TEJ

One of my friends worked for them a few years back

IIRC he told me that they kicked around the idea of a sega smash bros

Unfortunately it has been a while since I last contacted him

Bumpers

Their Sega partnerships have been brilliant, I'd love to see them have the opportunity to try and reboot a Sega IP that's not Sonic related.

I love Sumo, but most of their work comprises on making ports and working on already known IPs. They might need a breakout original IP to get the attention they deserve.

Top Bottom