• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Never Alone | A Girl And Her Fox versus the Arctic

titleiqsvz.png

Release date: November 18th, 2014 [OUT NOW]
Developer: Upper One Games
Platforms: PC, Xbox One, PS4
Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/295790/
Official site: http://neveralonegame.com/
Genre: Cinematic platformer (single player, local co-op)
Price: £10.79, $13.49

9fb81c513d_never-alone-by-agb-gifs-d7hqb5d.gif

jpg

neveralone.jpg

Never-Alone-feature-672x372.jpg

skypeople9zsgs.jpg

About the game PR:
Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) is the first game developed in collaboration with the Iñupiat, an Alaska Native people. Nearly 40 Alaska Native elders, storytellers and community members contributed to the development of the game. Play as a young Iñupiat girl and an arctic fox as they set out to find the source of the eternal blizzard which threatens the survival of everything they have ever known.

Guide both characters in single-player mode or play cooperatively with a friend or family member as you trek through frozen tundra, leap across treacherous ice floes, swim through underwater ice caverns, and face numerous enemies both strange and familiar in the journey to save the girl’s village.

In this atmospheric puzzle platformer, you will explore awe-inspiring environments, perform heroic deeds, and meet legendary characters from Iñupiaq stories — all narrated by a master storyteller in the spoken Iñupiaq language.

• Play as both Nuna and Fox — Switch between the two companions at any time with one button press, or play side by side in local co-op mode, as you rely on the unique skills of each character to succeed in your quest. Nuna can climb ladders and ropes, move heavy obstacles, and throw her bola at targets to solve puzzles. Fox can fit through small areas that Nuna can’t reach, scramble up walls, and jump to great heights.
  • Brave the harsh world of the Arctic — Run under, through, and atop the unstable structures of an abandoned coastal village. Explore the eerily quiet treetops of a mysterious, iced-over forest. Brave the fierce winds of the eternal blizzard. Only with the aid of Helping Spirits will Nuna and Fox have any chance of survival in a land where survival is impossible.
  • Unlock fascinating video insights — Elders, storytellers, and other members of the Alaska Native community share stories and wisdom about their culture, values and the amazing Arctic world encountered by players in over 30 minutes of interviews.

Never Alone leverages the power of videogames to share, celebrate and extend culture. These World Games will empower indigenous communities around the world to share their stories in an authentic, engaging, and entertaining way.

Reviews:
PC Gamer - Edwin Evans-Thirlwell
A beautiful, fascinating exploration of a world that may soon be nothing more than fantasy.

Eurogamer
I approach life from a different perspective than most. I'm American Indian, and the fact that my culture and my people are moving closer to extinction all the time isn't something I often forget. As I grow, a fatalistic phrase has come to summarise my relationship with the modern American Indian experience.

"It is a good day to die."

It's a phrase often wrongly attributed to an old Sioux battle cry, and while it's loosely accurate, its true meaning has been forgotten. As my culture becomes increasingly diluted, it seems everything that we once were is steadily fading into obscurity. It can be far too easy to accept the death of hundreds of culturally rich histories.

"Never Alone."

There's a resonance to that title that seeps into the game, pushing you to engage with one of the game's themes through interaction - a moment that's best preserved for you to discover yourself. It helps make Never Alone metaphorically whole; the narration matches the play, and the play matches reality.

It would have been easy for this to have become just another cheap, educational game. It would have been easy to phone it in and bank on just being different enough to justify itself. But Never Alone is so much more than that. It carries the sensibilities of its inspirations, and it feels and looks just as it should. There's some irritation there, but like the best folk tales, Never Alone is all about sharing the game with someone else.

Sometimes I'll find myself frustrated with the way history has played out. It's easy for me to harbour anger about the past, and for me to seek some catharsis to ease that racial anger. Never Alone offers a different path though. Recipes can be shared. Lessons can be taught. Words can be spoken.

For the first time, I'm beginning to think today's an awful day to die. We still have so much work to do, but now I know I'm kisima ingitchuna.

Wired

And that mythology really gets into your headspace, evolving from predictable Alaskan snowscapes, knockabout blizzards, and seas of boreal ice to more surreal moments. In some you’ll consult with owl-faced men; in others, strange phantasmic creatures glide past you in elliptical arcs, casting eldritch light on glistening surfaces as they threaten to seize and carry you skyward. If Campbell was right when he argued part of mythology’s function is to encourage introspection by casting us out of the here and now, let Never Alone stand as an exemplar of the principle for future game designers.

Kotaku
Never Alone is short, capable of being completed in a few hours. But its brevity makes it feel like a future favorite fairy tale that you'll revisit again and again. Something that you'll have friends over to watch and play together. Those scrimshaw cutscenes are even more beautiful than the 3D animations in their own way, because they bring a relatively isolated tradition into the present. Never Alone's message is about the connection between the community and the individual, how the ties that bind people together allow seemingly impossible tasks. If you've ever wondered how people live in painfully frigid environments like Alaska, playing Kisima Ingitchuna will tell you, in the very voice of the community where it happens.

Destructoid
Never Alone is only the first entry in an initiative by E-Line Media to create a series of world-culture games. It's an important step for a medium that's all too often stuck in its own familiar ways. Sure, Never Alone is far from perfect, but its highs are much more significant than its lows. Rarely is an experimental take flawless, and that's the case here. But, hopefully everyone involved can take what's on display with Never Alone, improve the formula next time, and continue to teach because it's a fascinating way to learn.

Polygon
Never Alone's failings don't diminish its importance

Despite Never Alone’s failings, it’s an effective, important experiment in blending gaming and education for grown-ups and, as such, I find it hard to entirely dismiss. While I’m in no great rush to play it again, the appreciation I gleaned for a culture I knew practically nothing about is something I really cherish. If you can patiently plod your way through the game entwined with the story of the Iñupiat people, I suspect you’ll cherish them too.

The Koalition
It’s certainly not without flaws, but in the end, Never Alone is one of the most solid and heartfelt games I’ve had the pleasure of playing all year. It builds tension in the all correct spots, offers a heart-wrenching but enchanting story, and forces you to often think quickly and critically about your next move through an endless series of engaging puzzles. It’s a game, a history lesson, and an enlightening experience all wrapped in a beautifully crafted entity. With a run time of around 4-6 hours, Never Alone is a game you’ll want to play, then play again. Then, perhaps, play again with friends. It’s a timeless story that will engulf both casual and well-versed gamers, and at $14.99, there’s certainly no reason to say no.

Gamersyde

Never Alone is a pedagogical experience you have to try if you're the kind of person that thinks that the value of games does not have anything to do with their length. The adventure is short indeed, but it would probably not have benefited from more hours of gameplay. We've loved every single aspect of Never Alone, the way it narrates the story, the way it sounds, the way it looks and its overall atmosphere. What's more, Upper One Games have also managed to deliver a game that is interesting to play, with solid and rather original gameplay mechanics that get harder as you get closer to the end. The game is never difficult though, mostly thanks to the high number of checkpoints, but it's really not the point anyway. Never Alone is a very nice tribute to a people that does not hesitate to share its roots with other games like Limbo, Child of Light and even Shadow of the Colossus. If what you've seen/read has kept you intrigued, join us and you'll never be alone anymore.

PS Nation
Never Alone achieves everything that it sets out to do and it does it with style. While they could have created a simple platformer with some text driven background, Upper One Games went the extra mile, integrating people from the Iñupiaq community and breathing life into what could have been a stodgy social studies project.

It was an incredibly risky project from the start but the Cook Inlet Tribal Council has been able to pull together all the right ingredients and put forth an amazing experience that all Alaskan Natives can be proud of. This is a game that would feel right at home in a classroom or a hard core gamer’s collection, and that’s quite a feat.

Don't let the arctic fox die nooooooooooo
BronzeLightGrizzlybear.gif

Chris R

This is finally done? Cool, I'll have to check it out. I remember hearing about it on the news a year or two ago when development started.

Was playing the game with my sister, and her shrieks at the challenges and chases were the cutest :D The animations are super cute, too which make me think more of cinematic platformers that have got a resurgence now (Brothers, Limbo).
B2wtdr_IMAA01Do.jpg

Can I just say the snow and weather effects look amazing? Cause they do, and this was made on Unity.

The wind mechanic is so awesome and dastardly. I love when it pushes you forwards so you can make some insane jumps. The narration during the gameplay reminds me of Bastion. Can I just say

It's loads of fun with another player. The chases are intense, like the one with a "terrible man" who throws fire bombs ahead of you and you have to throw this bola to break the ice obstacles apart.
BreakableConstantHuia.gif

I love the little touches like the wind pulling up her hood.

Violet_0

Banned
I feel kind of bad for laughing at that last gif in the op

the game looks really nice, getting it when it's a bit cheaper

If you've got the money, I'd recommend it and especially played with a friend cause there are very few 2 player co-op platformers that don't devolve into madness. The setting makes a huge difference, really sets it apart. Gorgeous is an understatement, this is some of the best wind and snow I've seen in a game. Unity is such a versatile engine.

I haven't finished it yet and will try to do with my sister so my final judgment can still change, but very happy with it so far.

Shauni

Goddamn at that last gif.

Usually I wait for $9.99 for indie games; it's just my sweet spot. But I really like the idea behind this idea, so I'll be supporting it.

Reick17

Just finished the game, and felt pretty good about spending the $15 on it. A little on the short side, but very pretty and more emotional than I was expecting (the wife was in tears during certain sections). Hopefully this sells well enough to warrant them making a second game.

Zach

I think I'll buy this if my son and/or friend are interested in co-op. Gotta give these rough indies with potential a shot. I did with Brothers and it turned out to be a wonderful experience.

Here's me playing one of the more tougher levels, "Whale Spirit" where there is a lot of switching characters, bola swinging, and spirit platforming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orf1TTuEmVE

For some reason, sometimes I wouldn't be able to switch characters and thought it was a glitch, until I changed game mode to Single Player rather than co-op.

Finished it. Really sweet tale of courage to achieve serenity in a harsh world. Wonderful stuff.

There is some definite trial and error (as I'd expect from a cinematic platformer where things can keep changing on you) towards the end but it's warranted as the stakes are so high and you're being tested on everything you've been taught. Some critics might have found that too frustrating, but it's not to the extent of Limbo later levels which felt like filler padding anyway. Everything is cohesive here. I might have had a couple of times where the AI was an issue but it's something you'd see in any super polished AAA game too.
PersonalPerfumedCuckoo.gif

It's impressive when you're platforming below while the character above might be helping with creating those platforms for you, and it never got to the point where I needed another player to take over the AI. That could have gone so wrong as it has with big games like RE5 or games that don't allow the AI to be hurt at all (The Last of Us). The switching is instantaneous anyway, so you can manually do everything and it's obvious when you need to.

There is a crazy plot twist mid-way that changes up the gameplay significantly and there's a bigger revelation, but it's mostly about trying to restore peace against the blizzard. It's just a really well realised and unique fairy tale with a cool subversion that the protagonist is a girl rather than a boy as it is in the original tale of Kunuuksaayuka. There's no Mulan-like gender expectations to face, she just is a tough hero that isn't nerfed because of some plot event.

The cultural insight videos are awesome. Now I wish for more interactive old tales from other cultures.

Haunted

It's nice. It's short but achieves what it sets out to do. It reminded me of Lost Winds for Wii.

The cultural insights videos are really well made and informative if you're interested in Iñupiat culture. Probably my favourite educational videogame in recent memory along with Type:Rider.

Kater

Banned
Trailer is pulling my heart strings. :')

Put it on my wishlist for now, but will buy it as soon as I find time for it.

Some have finished it already?

How short are we talking? I'm interested and it's come before Ori, so I'm willing to give it a shot, but I'm not keen on dropping £10+ for a game that's only a couple of hours long...

If you guys enjoy the game or are simply interested in knowing more about it, please check out:

Never Alone developer interview

Great interview, some cool things in there. I picked up on most of those themes like resilience.

Heavy fabrics and natural materials were gathered to create the movement of the characters, while chunks of tree bark, shards of ice, tons of snowballs, three party pizzas and a frozen stream were used to create the texture of the surrounding harsh environment. Jamie has said that "I want people to feel like they need to wear a sweater when they play this game."

Yeah, the foley and sound effects are fantastic. Probably one of the best games set around such an environment, atmosphere is top notch. The animations are brilliant, too.

Cool that Chris Charla (ID@XBOX) was his previous boss long time before lol.

How short are we talking? I'm interested and it's come before Ori, so I'm willing to give it a shot, but I'm not keen on dropping £10+ for a game that's only a couple of hours long...

3 hours long. Pretty standard for a narrative game like Brothers, Journey, Limbo, etc but if that's too much, that's your call.

quickwhips

I'll share play with you if you want? Msg me if your interested since I have no one to play local coop with :(

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Great art direction, but not out until next week for UK- i'll pick it up then.

3 hours long. Pretty standard for a narrative game like Brothers, Journey, Limbo, etc but if that's too much, that's your call.
Hell, after the experience Brothers gave me i'd have paid £20. All for this new sub-genre.

This and GTA V today for me. PS4 is back !

Yeah even if I didn't play more than 10-15 hours GTA V on PS3 I can't resist to all the things they added. And this game, well it's just the kind of games I like ^^

dock

This is apparently delayed in Europe.
I really hate this continuing trend of delaying the European digital release. By the time it hits no-one is talking about it. :(

I'd like to play this with my GF. Seems less ridiculous than Chariot and Ibb & Obb, both of which seem likely to be way too long, and are growing tiresome.

I don't understand these business decisions. Why the fuck do you release your tiny indie game in november?
They should have released it in january when there is basically nothing to compete with.
Will pick it up sometime in jan/feb, if I dont forget about it till then ...

I don't understand these business decisions. Why the fuck do you release your tiny indie game in november?
They should have released it in january when there is basically nothing to compete with.

Well it's not in direct competition with those games for everyone exactly. And since its it is an indie game it doesn't have to make millions upon millions of dollars back. You have a lot of people that are going to beat the short campaigns of AAA games once and not even play multiplayer if it has and maybe people want to play something else. Then there are people that barely play AAA games. Just because it's November doesn't mean "Indie games shouldn't be released in this month because Ubisoft's open world synchronization tower games, CoD, and cinematic or big shooter like 1st party Sony and MS games come out."

That's to say they can push it back if they want more exposure if nothing is coming out but big games also come out in January and February next year anyway. Not only that even if nothing comes out that month, your small indie game may not be discovered anyway.

Well it's not in direct competition with those games for everyone exactly. And since its it is an indie game it doesn't have to make millions upon millions of dollars back. You have a lot of people that are going to beat the short campaigns of AAA games once and not even play multiplayer if it has and maybe people want to play something else. Then there are people that barely play AAA games. Just because it's November doesn't mean "Indie games shouldn't be released in this month because Ubisoft's open world synchronization tower games, CoD, and cinematic or big shooter like 1st party Sony and MS games come out."

That's to say they can push it back if they want more exposure if nothing is coming out but big games also come out in January and February next year anyway. Not only that even if nothing comes out that month, your small indie game may not be discovered anyway.

As far as I am concerned every entertainment product is in direct competition with every other such thing, since I only have limited time and the market is complelty overcrowded.
You are right, there is always something coming out, but releasing on the same day as GTA is just insane.
There surley must be a more boring week in january that you could choose instead.

MY impressions from the other thread:

It is a charming platform game, with stunning visuals. I played it only a little last night, love how they integrated the unlockabled video with the gameplay. Solid game buy with a lot of flaws in the localization. While I appreciated the effort to translate the game to other languages (I was playing it in Brazilian Portuguese) there are too many false cognates, mistranslations. Plus one of our letters (a c with a signal) is wrongly replaced with another letter, even in the menus. Looks like a kind of ascii error.

Also I was playing it alone, and have some deaths to the the partner (fox) was in a middle animation (cliff) and could not be protected from the artic wind. The game seems to be constructed around coop really.

Despite that I loved the game premisse, settings and history (I am deep in lore stuff) and may Double zip with the vita version to go (Plus the ps4 of it is cross-buy).

Wonderful game. Congratulations to all involved.

Montresor

No Digital Foundry faceoff???

:p

Bah I've gotta catch some sleep, but when I wake up later today I'll give this a shot. Looks like a mix of Max Brotherhood and Brothers.

As far as I am concerned every entertainment product is in direct competition with every other such thing, since I only have limited time and the market is complelty overcrowded.
You are right, there is always something coming out, but releasing on the same day as GTA is just insane.
There surley must be a more boring week in january that you could choose instead.

Yeah you got a point, time is precious. Not everything has to come out on Tuesday either, it is a digital game after all.

It was in the Steam top 10 yesterday (pic), and now #17, so maybe not that bad. I'm guessing this will do well over time as more people get interested in the setting and story or if they're just up for a challenging narrative platformer.

I doubt many indie game makers are that aware of release dates for other bigger games and it's not like they can delay a game because this is their own money on the line that is wasting with time.

Yes, but the game release date was set more than 2 months ago. I doubt that the devs/Publisher can predict the certification time so acurated, so the game should Be already finished a while ago. If it was releases in September it would have performed better imo.

Top Bottom