• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Elsa more popular than Anna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this inkling for a while that Elsa was more popular as a character, from looking at Halloween costumes to artwork. Hardly empirical evidence. Then I read this recent WSJ article:

WSJ: Elsa Dominates Anna in 'Frozen' Merchandise Sales

Anna was supposed to be the star. She has the most lines, songs and love interests in blockbuster Walt Disney Co. movie “Frozen,” and ultimately saves the day.

Yet at cash registers and in playrooms Anna’s older sister, Elsa, a withdrawn, reluctant queen whose powers to freeze nearly doom Anna and the rest of her fictional Norwegian village, is winning the popularity contest.

Elsa products are expected to dominate sales this holiday shopping season, just as her flowing, sparkly blue gown and long blond braid wig ruled Halloween night this year over Anna’s modest, calf-length dress and sensible boots. Retailers will feature more than double the amount of “Frozen”-related merchandise compared with last year, when the film first hit theaters in late November.

“Elsa is double what Anna is,” says Lesa Nelson, senior vice president for children’s merchandise at J.C. Penney Co., of the dolls and other “Frozen” merchandise depicting the sisters. “You sell two Elsas for every Anna.”

Already, more than three million Elsa and Anna dresses have been sold at Disney stores and at mass retailers in North America since “Frozen’s” release last November, according to Disney.

What does GAF think? Anna is the main character in Frozen, gets the most screen time, she's the one who goes through the journey, has a love interest and a sidekick, etc. Disney seems to make Anna way more relatable as a character, she's more down-to-earth and exhibits more reverent values. So why do audiences in general seem to gravitate towards Elsa more?

Also, are you team Elsa or team Anna?

#teamElsa

Jme

Elsa is a bitch. And Let It Go was always a shitty song.
Anna has a much better personality and Do You Wanna Build A Snowman is the superior song.

kewlmyc

Because her song, Let It Go, is the most popular song in the movie. Hell, it's probably Disney's most profitable song ever.

Plus she's a strong independent queen with ice powers who don't need no man :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was at a family dinner thing and they had Frozen on and the moment Let It Go came on the 3 year old ran out of the room and returned immediately in an Elsa outfit.
KuGsj.gif

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Blondes have more fun

mantidor

I don't buy this Anna being the protagonist, Elsa is put front and center in the movie, and everything gravitates around her.

That's like saying the Fairy Godmother is more popular than Cinderella because she has powers. Surely there's more to a character than powers?

I'll buy the Let It Go argument...but seriously, one
overrated
song?

Movie is called Frozen

Everything about the movie happens cause of ice powers

Movie isn't called "How Anna got her sister, her man, and her groove back"

kirblar

That's like saying the Fairy Godmother is more popular than Cinderella because she has powers. Surely there's more to a character than powers?

I'll buy the Let It Go argument...but seriously, one
overrated
song?
Song's a gigantic metaphor for repressed sexuality/identity. Did a number on me when I watched for the first time.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Anna was little more than Rapunzel-lite. She was boring. Rapunzel at least was a lot of fun and had some character development. Elsa, no pun intended, was the cool one.

Anna was also a dumbass

And this. Anna is probably the second dumbest Disney Princess after Ariel.

I don't buy this Anna being the protagonist, Elsa is put front and center in the movie, and everything gravitates around her.

pro·tag·o·nist
the leading character or one of the major characters in a drama, movie, novel, or other fictional text.
- the main figure or one of the most prominent figures in a real situation.
- an advocate or champion of a particular cause or idea.

an·tag·o·nist
a person who actively opposes or is hostile to someone or something; an adversary.

Which one sounds like Elsa and which one sounds like Anna?

In fact, Elsa was originally written to be evil before script changes.

andthebeatgoeson

Let it go is overrated but catchy as hell. It was bound to be a hit. Also, Anna was dumb. Who gets married after meeting someone for one day?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Elsa is the one whose character develops the most; her life lesson is the heart of the story, she's behind one of Disney's biggest earworms since It's A Small World, and she's the most conflicted character.

Anna is just off on a quest to find her.

Also, yes, super powers. The super powers definitely help.

Amalthea

Banned
She has some kind of complicated personality while Anna was following so heavily by the Disney princess-rulebook that it bordered on a parody at times.

She's iconic in looks and storyline. But especially looks. If somebody says "Frozen, the movie", your brain immediately thinks of Elsa in her blue dress with ice shards coming out of her hands, singing. You might think of the snowman, or Anna wiggling her nose or whatever, or the guys sawing ice or the moose afterwards, but Elsa and those electric blue tones are the scene stealing, unforgettable iconography of the movie.

It was very striking: visually, audibly (the song), and her story line... everyone can relate to having something about themselves they dislike but then coming to terms with it and just possibly making it a positive. Especially if her trek is indeed a metaphor for her sexuality.

And seeing something so big budget represent winter in a non-holiday setting is different. A winter anthem! Who'd ever heard of that. And Elsa was the face of all those elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom