• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor Second Free DLC (and some Appreciation)

Slixshot

Banned
Shadow of Mordor is releasing another set ofFree DLC. To see free dlc these days is so rare, I thought a thread was worthy simply to thank Monolith for doing so. To be honest, it's not a lot of content, but it's enough to make me happy that I purchased the game and haven't sold it off. Other developers (and publishers) should take note. Sometimes it's the small things that leave a big impact on people.

The first DLC included a skin to play as The Black Hand and three epic runes

and this second set includes a skin to play as Lithariel, a new epic rune, and a new challenge map.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the paid DLC. This game was off the hook and I can't wait to play more.

Starting to feel like my season pass was a waste... I'm not even sure I'll go back to the game when they finally get to it.

Slixshot

Banned
Starting to feel like my season pass was a waste... I'm not even sure I'll go back to the game when they finally get to it.

I take these small releases as little appetizers to a main course. Hoping that the DLC for the season pass is something substantial. It hasn't really been that long since the game actually came out, anyway. #Positivity

If Monolith had already plotted out what the season pass would entail, anything free on top of it is not a loss in value for you.

This is a terrible mindset to have in my opinion and is frankly one of the contributing reasons for the scummy practices that publishers are known for like locked disk content and such.

I'm happy to see added value for everyone that bought the game.

aerts1js

wtf; first post has never been so wrong. Why would someone complain about something free? Obviously the paid DLC will be more substantial.

ryseing

I take these small releases as little appetizers to a main course. Hoping that the DLC for the season pass is something substantial. It hasn't really been that long since the game actually came out, anyway. #Positivity

Really hoping we get a new map.

If Monolith had already plotted out what the season pass would entail, anything free on top of it is not a loss in value for you.

This is a terrible mindset to have in my opinion and is frankly one of the contributing reasons for the scummy practices that publishers are known for like locked disk content and such.

I'm happy to see added value for everyone that bought the game.

It's been 2 months since launch, the extra are nice... but uninteresting as they don't really add anything to the game that makes me want to come back. I regret my season pass because that money could have gone to another game NOW versus the promise of new content eventually when I may have already well and beyond moved on.

It's not rewarding the bad behavior (content already on disc) to want to have content I paid for given a little more priority than fluff that's not even a part of what I paid for.

wtf; first post has never been so wrong. Why would someone complain about something free? Obviously the paid DLC will be more substantial.
Go back and reread what I wrote. Where did I complain about the free content? I was complaining that the content I paid for is no where to be seen.

aerts1js

It's been 2 months since launch, the extra are nice... but uninteresting as they don't really add anything to the game that makes me want to come back. I regret my season pass because that money could have gone to another game NOW versus the promise of new content eventually when I may have already well and beyond moved on.

It's not rewarding the bad behavior (content already on disc) to want to have content I paid for given a little more priority than fluff that's not even a part of what I paid for.

Go back and reread what I wrote. Where did I complain about the free content? I was complaining that the content I paid for is no where to be seen.

The idea of a season pass isn't for content that is available now and is totally on the promise of new content eventually. You realize this right?

I never purchase season passes.

Thanks for the heads up! I beat the campaign last week but now I can enjoy a new skin while I complete the last few weapon legends. The Black Hand skin was pretty slick, so I can't wait to check out Lithariel. What a pleasant DLC surprise...

I absolutely get where you're coming from, and this is an indictment on season passes in general. It's not exactly unprecedented for content packs to take longer than a couple months though.

On a slight side-note, If you consume a lot of video games, season passes are worthless unless you know for sure you are interested in the long term. BF4 is and will be my last season pass for this very reason. I'm just not interested in going back.

Lime

Free playable female character DLC should be in the title of this thread. This is pretty big news based on how boring Talon was.

Dinda

Free playable female character DLC should be in the title of this thread. This is pretty big news based on how boring Talon was.

Can you play the whole game as her? Or is it like in the Arkham Games etc where you have a few missions?
No idea how skins work in this game.

Edit.
I found some other news where they said it is one mission you play as her....

Game should have had a character creation, then i would have been interested.

Lime

Pretty cool if you ask me:

shadowofmordor2014-11yfx79.png

shadowofmordor2014-1139xvn.png

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Look at that, a stylized fantasy outfit that isn't gratuitously sexualized and degrading and still looks cool! How is such a thing possible?

I assume it's just one mission or one of those challenge mini-games?

I would consider reinstalling if we can use her during the campaign, cutscene/voice acting discrepancy be damned.

Poona

Yeah, that is definitely more interesting than the current title. I just thought it was some random male skin until I saw the pics later in the thread.

Good work monolith and wb!

Pixelsmith

Neo Member
I gave this a bash last night. The extra skin is nice, but I'm happier still about the new challenge mode, Test of Defiance.

You have to take out 15 Captains and 5 Warlords without dying once, which is a nice challenge for people who fell in love with the combat. They're all new uruks, although they're not randomly generated (as in, they're the same on every playthrough).

With that said, I don't think it's quite enough to stop me selling the game after I beat this mode. The first batch of paid-for DLC looks pretty beast-based, and the creatures were one of the least appealing aspects of the game for me.

Fliesen

maybe this will make me go back and get that damn lvl 25 rune for the platinum trophy.

i keep getting epic runes :(

Monolith actually have a history of giving significant content away for free post release. It's really cool to see they're still at it. I specifically remember Shogo: MAD, NOLF, AVP2, Tron 2.0 and FEAR all ending up with free stuff of one kind or another.

BrettWeir

Whaaaat? I don't get this at all. You dislike free content that has nothing at all to do with the season pass?

I wish more companies would do these types of things.

AXE

Has there been any word on what they're bringing? Because I don't exactly feel great about getting the premium here.

Not that I even think about it. Just something my unconscious records for future reflection when there's a new game without a proper promise of worthwhile DLC. And not just some stupid horse armor crap like here.

Loving the Test of Defiance

But is there anyway to turn of brand while you're playing? I keep accidentally using it in the heat of battle and screwing up my hi-score.

UrbanRats

Hahahaha that's so fucking dumb.

The story if fucking shit anyway so you better skip the cutscenes.
-
Both the skin and the challenge mode are very cool.
I kind of wish they went the extra mile and did a proper expansion with her, and without the Wraith powers, maybe compensated with other abilities, like gadgets, bombs etc etc.
I'd have paid for that.

I think they'll release Hirgon next, as it seems the last "skin" keft, easy enough to apply to Talion's animations.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Shadow of Mordor is releasing another set ofFree DLC. To see free dlc these days is so rare, I thought a thread was worthy simply to thank Monolith for doing so. To be honest, it's not a lot of content, but it's enough to make me happy that I purchased the game and haven't sold it off. Other developers (and publishers) should take note. Sometimes it's the small things that leave a big impact on people.

The first DLC included a skin to play as The Black Hand and three epic runes

and this second set includes a skin to play as Lithariel, a new epic rune, and a new challenge map.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the paid DLC. This game was off the hook and I can't wait to play more.

This game is monopolizing my PS4 gaming time similarly to how Infamous: Second Son did, maybe more since the LotR lore is quite strong and well realized in this game.
Talion, the main character, keeps getting more powerful and the game keeps being challenging as you get introduced to tougher enemies gradually but steadily. The better I become the more I almost welcome someone spotting station and sounding the alarm in the Orcs camp and see the flood of Orcs coming at me. Crowd control, blocking, finishing opponents... It really makes you focus and rewards you.

Very very well done game... :D.

Top Bottom