• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#ThanksMichelleObama - Students tweet gross lunch pics to First Lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
My school's food was awesome, then they changed head chefs when I was in like 8th grade and it became less awesome, but still good.

Jzero

This thread is giving me some hardcore nostalgia.
We used to get our lunches in brown paper trays with red stripes (how the hell do i still remember that)

Edit: this looks about right

140228-school-lunch-tray-2029_750dda9e0ff95c2a51beebefe8e64cc6.jpg

GodofWine

Why can't these people bring a sandwich to school? You can buy an entire loaf of bread for less than a dollar.

I agree, don't like the food? How about some peanut butter on crackers or store brand wheat bread. It's filling, nutritious and good awful cheap...I still exist at times on peanut butter and I'm 36 and not struggling.

Schools should provide this as an alternative as well. Peanut butter on toast with an Apple and milk is a damed good lunch for a kid.

Jesus at some of the "lunches" in here, and the plastic or styrofoam "plates". Rarely have I felt a genuine superiority to, and sorry for, Americans. Seriously not trying to be a dick. (Unless these are all joke pics.)

Even though we made fun of the menu's and "mystery dishes" in my high school, it was always pretty good. Like diner restaurant quality.

Is the school lunch in the US free?

Jesus at some of the "lunches" in here, and the plastic or styrofoam "plates". Rarely have I felt a genuine superiority to, and sorry for, Americans. Seriously not trying to be a dick. (Unless these are all joke pics.)

Even though we made fun of the menu's and "mystery dishes" in my high school, it was always pretty good. Like diner restaurant quality.

I grew up in a low income area(so did most of the students at my schools) so my lunch was always free up until my junior year of high school. Once I had to start paying for my lunch, like $1.50 or so, the quality really went up. The pizza's actually looked and tasted like pizzas, they offered freshly made turkey or ham wraps, the burgers were good, etc. Overall diner restaurant quality.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My packed lunches were healthier than the canteen options at my secondary school.

The Jamie Oliver Revolution only started coming in during my final years by which point I was so used to bring my own lunch in I just kept at it.

Melon Husk

10737634054_53d44d6bc3.jpg

Don't know why, but the beef and vegetable soup was always my favorite back in the day.

When I think of school food, I picture this (with less meaty bits of course), not pizza. Soup, simple pasta, potato mash & sausage(s), more potatoes and fish sticks.

So they eat salmon from plates in France and fried doughnuts from paper bags in Mali. US falls somewhere in between.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

We often ordered food from restaurants. But the school food was decent.

Thirtydollarfeast.png (Just getting that out of the way)

I have no idea which state and what region therein these kids go to school. That changes what they will receive.

American school lunches always bewilder me when it comes to how horrible some of these look. How does it work anyway? Do the students pay when they get the food or are these part of the school fees? Or is it all paid by the state?
Every student has a lunch account that you can put money in whenever(at the lunchroom or office)

Some schools now let you do it over the Internet as well.

Is it normal in US schools to eat straight off the tray? In Europe we have these things called 'plates'.
Middle school we had plastic sectioned trays that were reusable,
Highschool we had foam trays.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I remember in kindergarten and first grade, we still had cooks, then they changed to whatever lausd used a mass production facility. Quality was a sheer drop.

SgtCobra

Spoiled brats, we had to take or own food to school, we had no school kitchen. I'd gladly eat that mash of gross looking stuff instead of some dry-ass brown bread with Gouda cheese when I was in high school.

Sou Da

For people that actually bothered with getting lunch in my school it was free but most people just went to the place down the road for lunch, they had a student discount and everything.

No. $2-$3 is the norm, a poor family can get free lunch though.

In Australia you gotta buy/bring your own food, ya bloody whiners.
That would be fine if schools here(Alabama) weren't banning most outside stuff recently.
Lunch from home - no soda, no chips, no fast food, no restaurant food, no using the teachers microwave in the lunchroom either.
Heck my brother who is a senior got in trouble for bringing reheated Pizza Hut pizza in a regular lunch box.

Tacitus_

Middle school we had plastic sectioned trays that were reusable,
Highschool we had foam trays.

Shit, I've had actual plates and metal utensils since I started school at age 7. And food, while not exactly great most of the time, was at least always serviceable.. well except veggie patties, those things fucking sucked. Google gives me these:
PwF5K96.jpg

vfar7FS.jpg

notice the lack of tiny plastic baggies, food looking like food and trusting kids with actual dinnerware. Everything's free too until university level.

Shit, I've had actual plates and metal utensils since I started school at age 7. And food, while not exactly great most of the time, was at least always serviceable.. well except veggie patties, those things fucking sucked. Google gives me these:
PwF5K96.jpg

vfar7FS.jpg

notice the lack of tiny plastic baggies, food looking like food and trusting kids with actual dinnerware.

Yeah, this is how we always had it. The plastic sectioned tray thingy confuses me. Looks incredibly unappetizing. But I'm Swedish, which means the school lunch was free as well. (Well, paid for by tax payers, you know what I mean.)

paskowitz

And this is why I was always the kid with the launch box. in fact nothing has really changed now when I go to work I bring leftovers from what I cooked last night.

LOL, I wish my school let kids serve themselves.
They tried a few times but everyone got at least triple sides.

Yeah, this is how we always had it. The plastic sectioned tray thingy confuses me. Looks incredibly unappetizing. But I'm Swedish, which means the school lunch was free as well. (Well, paid for by tax payers, you know what I mean.)
Eh, trays weren't a big deal we had them in some form from Kindergarten onwards so it wasn't really anything.

Would some districts purposefully make shit food so healthy food requirements backfire? You bet your ass. 10-year soda contracts alone are worth $4 million upfront and an additional $350,000 a year to sell its beverages in schools. It's not even the sales, but rather the brand exposure at a young age that makes such contracts worthwhile.

Legislation would need to buy the contracts out for these requirements to succeed.

Would some districts purposefully make shit food so healthy food requirements backfire? You bet your ass. 10-year soda contracts alone are worth $4 million upfront and an additional $350,000 a year to sell its beverages in schools. It's not even the sales, but rather the brand exposure at a young age that makes such contracts worthwhile.

Legislation would need to buy the contracts out for these requirements to succeed.

No, soda machines have already been removed from many schools.
Here they were the first to go(even powerade machines in the gym) then snack machines and then the actual lunch crap started.

maxcriden

Is it bad that I like this pizza?
It probably is.

Not at all, that kind of pizza can be delicious. I want to say it's a style of pizza unto its own, let's see....

10-reg-styles-old-forge.jpg

I know the least about Old Forge-style pizza but am including it here in the interest of providing a wide range of styles. On Pizzamaking.com, user IlPizzaiolo describes it thusly: "My friend studied a type of pizza from Pennsylvania that sounds close to what they are talking about. It is like a medium-thin Sicilian dough, the pan oiled with peanut oil, so the dough sort of got a fried consistancy like pan pizza from Pizza Hut. The cheese [was 100% Wisconsin white cheddar.]" I think I need to take a three-day weekend and investigate Old Forge pizza.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...gional-pizza-styles-slideshow.html#show-85730

22-bakery-style.jpg

You'll sometimes find pizza being made in longtime Italian bakeries. It happens enough that it's been recognized — elsewhere and on Slice — as a legit style, even though it blends elements of grandma and Sicilian pizzas. Italian Bakery Style pizza is square and cooked in large sheet pans and cut into rectangular pieces. Apart from that, it can vary from bakery to bakery. If you see it, grab a slice. You might be pleasantly surprised.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...ional-pizza-styles-slideshow.html#show-123266

wildfire

Banned
Everyone understands rectangle pizza. It's an american rite of passage.

What confuses me is that while the rectangular ones where terribad the round ones were amazing.

It was such a weird thing that clearly different people were contracted to make the pizzas and my school used both and probably still do now.

i used to love turkey twizzlers in school but they were banned from school dinners along with other things.

42174_turkey-twizzler.jpg
To be fair I wouldn't have wanted that filth being served to my child.

I remember at the time parents handing junk food through school gates for their kids, because they'd be damned if they were going to allow well balanced healthy food being served to their children.

Tesseract

Banned
in high school i used to stuff my locker with canned pasta and eat it on the go (the locker)

ain't got no time for cafeteria time

RedTurbo

Banned
It's obvious that the kids that are complaining are in favor of more funding for school lunches, which obviously means they're in favor of a tax increase, even though their republican parents that set this whole scam up obviously think that no taxes should be increased ever for any reason.

Oh yeah and school lunches are a state and local issue not a federal issue but thanks Obama

Corgi

Banned
how much does the standard school lunch cost these days?

I recall when i was in highschool in the mid 2000s it was about $1.60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom