• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Pokemon rival

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ah, the rival character. A quintessential piece of any medium centered around growing stronger, wiser, or more capable, the rival serves as the primary goalpost you must overcome, as well as the bar you must always strive to be ahead of.

We have...

Blue (Red/Blue/Yellow)

latest

-Grandson of Professor Oak. Starts off as a jerk, and is always one step ahead of you in every way, beating each gym before you, and even becoming league champion. He reappears in Gold/Silver as the gym leader of Viridian City. In Yellow, his starter is always Eevee. By the time of Gold/Silver, he's mellowed out and is a friendlier person.

Silver (Gold/Silver/Crystal)

-Blue was a jerk, but Silver is a much more sinister character. He believes in raw power, and isn't above criminal actions - his first pokemon was stolen from Professor Elm's lab. He will attempt to use his power-driven philosophy to beat you several times. He's also
the son of Team Rocket leader, Giovanni.

May/Brendan (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)

latest
latest

-The daughter/son of Professor Birch, May/Brendan is the opposite gender version of the player character you chose. Much friendlier than the two rivals before them, May/Brendan act more like a friend than as an obstacle you must overcome, but they'll still be there to test your progress every step of the way.

Barry (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)

latest

-Compared to the other rivals, Barry is a bit eccentric, and a little bit of a doofus. Barry is also the more friendly sort of rival, although he won't hesitate to compete with you to be the best of the best. The son of Frontier Brain Volkner, Barry has a legacy to live up to. He's also a bit obsessed with Crasher Wake...

Cheren (Black/White)

latest

-Cheren is a very studious character. He doesn't compete with you so much as test your abilities along the way. While friendly, he is also very serious, and uses logical thinking at every opportunity.

Hugh (Black/White 2)

B2W2_Rival.png

-Due to a rather harsh experience in his childhood in which Team Plasma robbed the Purrloin that his sister was given as a gift, he seeks to become stronger by any means possible so that he can fight Team Plasma. He is very fond of his sister, and of pokemon. Hugh is a trainer with a purpose - he is very driven to achieve his goals, and tends to be a bit extreme.

Serena/Calem (X/Y)

latest
latest

-Your neighbor from Vaniville Town, Serena/Calem decides to go on your journey alongside you. Perhaps the most agreeable of rivals, Serena/Calem acts as a guide and as a friend, always working alongside you, and never against you. Even the battles you have are initiated in a manner that suggests you are not so much competing, but rather testing one another's skills and helping one another improve.

Other, psuedo-rivals include: Wally (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald), Bianca (Black/White), Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor (X/Y). These characters fall outside the standard rival conventions in that they do not pick the starter pokemon that is strong against the type of your starter pokemon. Bianca is the most standard of the psuedo-rivals, and also unique in that she is the only character to choose the third starter - the one that is weak against your type.

zruben

Banned
Blue and Silver will always be the best.

EDIT - To provide further details:

Blue was kind of an asshole and very competitive, always one step ahead of you.
Silver was plain evil and he plainly STEALS pokemons.

the rest are too "vanilla" and "kid-friendly"

Blue and Silver, hands down. They are well characterized and actually serve the pathos of Pokémon themes.

Pokémon has always been a game about friendship and respect, especially in the first two games when the storytelling was much simpler. Blue and Silver are words of warning: they are the objectivists who value their success over their friends. There are lots of ways to get ahead, and Pokémon portrays the diversity of success in its different archetypes. But Blue and Silver are those who tried to seize success the wrong ways - they're hubristic antagonists and contribute to the Pokémon fable in a way that makes them superior to the vapid relationships that took their place.

daydream

Banned
Silver is the best, with Blue as close second. The rest aren't even trying (although I don't know about Hugh, seems like he might be 3rd).

SerTapTap

They majorly dropped the ball by not making your rival a jackass anymore. I felt terrible beating the rival in Y. You are basically just crushing the dreams of a fellow trainer who wants nothing more than to be exactly what you are. You ARE the dick rival. Then they just sit there, broken hearted in the postgame town, forever. You have ruined their life.

So yeah, Gary, easy.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I have to give it to Blue & Silver. They actually do a good job of making you hate them and want to beat them. Such is a good rivalry.

Well, I do hate Barry, but I'd rather he go away than want to beat him. So annoying...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
They majorly dropped the ball by not making your rival a jackass anymore. I felt terrible beating the rival in Y. You are basically just crushing the dreams of a fellow trainer who wants nothing more than to be exactly what you are. You ARE the dick rival. Then they just sit there, broken hearted in the postgame town, forever. You have ruined their life.

So yeah, Gary, easy.

And then a zombie.

MetalDeer

I always considered Wally the "actual" rival in R/S/E, because May/Brendan was a fucking joke.

Blue is probably my favorite, though.

yeah, this guy was cool too, but he wasn't exactly a rival.

He was way more of a rival than those other two people I don't even remember. This guy was tougher than those other two people and you fight him multiple times throughout the game. That's kind of what a rival is

Nyoro SF

Blue and Cheren/Belle are my favorite rivals.

I really liked how they expanded the stories of Cheren and Belle in B/W.
The music accompanying them was simple, yet perfect.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Would "worst Pokemon rival" have been a better topic? :p

Silver for me, too, closely followed by Blue. I really wish they'd go back to the jerk characters. Not only did they help you, the player, have a constant need to grow stronger, the rivals themselves grew character-wise by the end of the game, becoming wiser about how to train their pokemon and how to view life. I wonder if Nintendo is intentionally avoiding "mean" characters?

Blue and Silver.

There hasn't been a good rival since.

Yeah.

I'm definitely not one of those "Pokemon hasn't been good since Gen 1/2" people, but those two games really have the best rivals. The only games where the rival was actually a jerk, and not a friend who was all "Aw man, good job! :)" after you beat them. Don't know why they keep making the rival also your best friend every time now.

And though I didn't think he was a great rival, I thought Wally in ORAS was adorable.

Gen 1 & 2 had the only rivals that felt like they deserved to be beaten. They were selfish, underhanded and treated their Pokemon poorly.

As the gens progressed, they started introducing rivals that were nicer, kinder, and driven to beat you at any cost, only to fail constantly. These rivals often fell behind and couldn't keep up with your exploits, and I can't help but feel bad for these guys (lack of difficulty in the games adds to this narrative with easy sweeps).

Pokemon had gotten to the point where you are actually playing as characters closer to Blue. You're practically the true rival in XY in a lot of places.

ryan13ts

Barry and Hugh are probably my favorites. I guess I'd have to throw Blue in there too simply because of nostalgia and how much of a jerk he was.

Barry was so awful. IIRC his whole big failing as a trainer was that he was always in a rush everywhere he went and never slowed down? The hell is that as a character flaw?

Compared to the glory of "smell ya later."

Top Bottom