• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Remains of Edith Fitch (PS4, 2016, by Giant Sparrow (The Unfinished Swan))

kuppy

15774342067_2d947a5eeg4a8i.jpg

Trailer

PlayStation Blog
Our first project, The Unfinished Swan, was not a horror game.

It was a surreal first-person painting game inspired by our love of classic children’s books. But when people saw our original prototype, of splattering an all-white landscape to reveal the world around you, lots of players assumed it was going to be a horror game.

Which was weird because at Giant Sparrow we don’t really make horror games. We make strange experiences that give players a chance to explore things they’ve never seen before. The Unfinished Swan wasn’t meant to be scary but I think it ended up feeling that way for a lot of people because it was so unfamiliar. And there’s nothing scarier than the unknown.

That brings us to our next game, What Remains of Edith Finch, which we’ve just announced. I think a lot of people are going to assume it’s a horror game too. This time around they’re a bit closer.

What Remains of Edith Finch is a collection of short stories about a cursed family in Washington State.

Each story offers a chance to experience the life of a different family member with stories ranging from the early 1900s to the present day. The gameplay and tone of the stories are as different as the family members themselves. The only constant is that each story is played from a first-person perspective and each ends with that family member’s death. You’ll follow Edith Finch as she explores the history of her family and tries to figure out why she’s the last Finch left alive.

It may sound like a horror game but it isn’t. And by that I mean it’s not a game that’s designed to scare people. Instead, we wanted to make something that feels like looking up at the night sky and being simultaneously amazed by the majesty of the universe and humbled by how fragile and short your own life is. Like The Unfinished Swan, it echoes what it feels like to be a child: encountering forces beyond your ability to understand or control. That can definitely feel scary, but it isn’t meant to.

More than anything this game was inspired by growing up in Washington State and being surrounded by forests, mountains and oceans where nature often feels both beautiful and unsettling.

What Remains of Edith Finch is being published by our friends at Sony Santa Monica and it’ll be available sometime in 2016, exclusively for PS4.

That's a really interesting concept and Giant Sparrow's approach seems fantastic.

Just been watching all of the PS videos on YouTube, and this stuck out to me as the most interesting and intriguing. Definitely will be watching development on this as it progresses.

calder

Very interested, it looked quite compelling.

I didn't play Unfinished Swan until PS4 and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.

T.O.P

Banned
Ok so...i have no idea about what Unfinished Swan is about but this one caught my attention so i'm curious

Should i grab it on ps4? what can i expect?

Is Nate Wells still working for Giant Sparrow? That team did a great job with The Unfinished Swan, but with him helping out I'm even more confident in the style of this game.

EDIT: ^^ Yeah, I'm highly interested in this.

Interesting premise. I wonder what it will be like gameplay-wise. The Unfinished Swan was cool concept, but it felt a bit... not to say unfinished, but it seemed like they could have pushed their ideas and game mechanics further.

ryseing

Ok so...i have no idea about what Unfinished Swan is about but this one caught my attention so i'm curious

Unfinished Swan is about an orphaned boy entering a painting. It is excellent. Definitely pick it up.

Menome

"The Unfinished Swan was not a horror game".

Didn't stop the game from having a large unadvertised section of the game being
set in a pitch black forest with giant spiders. Fuckers

daydream

Banned
This looked incredibly intriguing.

Collection of short stories = yes please!

More games need to experiment with this structure.

Jachaos

I loooved the game. You can expect some fun, interesting, nice exploration gameplay mixed in with a great atmosphere and a great art style. Interesting story. It was one of my favourite games I played in 2012. It is somewhat of a short game, but I paid 3$ for it during a sale so I can't complain on that front. If you expect more than 5 hours from start to finish, don't.

StuBurns

Banned
I didn't like The Unfinished Swan much, had the air of those spectacular indie games, but it came to nothing and failed to stick with me. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to what they do next. The trailer really didn't tell me anything, and announcing games that aren't coming for more than a year should be a mortal sin, but fingers crossed this will come through.

This game needs more attention. Easily one of the most interesting from Sony's conference. I loved TUS and I'm very intrigued by the premise of this.

wouwie

Allthough little is known about the gameplay yet, this was one of the most interesting games announced at the conference.

Amir0x

Banned
I really like this concept, but I'll have to wait and see a more in depth gameplay video before judging how excited i should be

Seems a bit early to reveal this.

Sounds interesting though, but announcing 15+ months before release is just weird.

Then again, it falls into line with most of Sony's digital announcements of late. Rime, Shadow of the Beast, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture...

Stealth50

The game looks beautiful and after their last game I think they've totally deserved the lengthy development time. Hopefully this also helps them make the quality consistently high throughout the entire game.

Top Bottom