• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alone in the Dark 5 screenshots (PC/Xbox 360)

siege

Banned
Previously announced for 360, but has now been announced for the PC as well.

screen1_large.jpg

screen2_large.jpg

*Dr. Boll sees images, is inspired to write a movie sequel, sound of fingernails scraping on chalkboard as the pen hits the pad*

This looks awesome. It better be. I also wouldn't mind seeing a next-gen Clock Tower title (more like the original, less like its sequels)

siege

Banned
ram said:
did they cancel the ps3 version, which was announced first?

Don't see any mention of it...

ATARI CONFIRMS NEW 'ALONE IN THE DARK' FOR PC

- Eden Games' Next-Generation Action Survival Title Set for Xbox 360 and Now PC -

New York, New York , April 12, 2006 – Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR) today announced that Alone in the Dark will launch for the Windows® platform simultaneously with the version for Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. The original Alone in the Dark is the video game that launched survival gaming and set the standard within the genre. Developed by Eden Games, Alone in the Dark returns with a heart-stopping survival experience coupled with use of state-of-the-art real-time physics and advanced environmental interaction to deliver an exhilarating action-orientated experience within a highly detailed, open environment.

In 1992, the first Alone in the Dark title for PC ushered in a new dawn of gaming, revolutionizing the use of fear as a tool to manipulate and engage the emotions of the player, and bringing sheer terror to gamers around the world. Fourteen years later, the franchise returns to the PC and to the newest generation of video game hardware, Xbox 360, taking full advantage of the incredible technological advances of both platforms and designed to satisfy the sophisticated demands of a gaming audience wiser, bolder and more accustomed to fear than ever before.

"Alone in the Dark is returning to the format that launched survival gaming – the PC – and after nearly a decade and a half of ever-accelerating technological progress, we anticipate that the title will again take the lead on next-generation consoles with the Xbox 360 and PC," said Steve Tucker, Director of Marketing, Atari, Inc. "This is one for gamers to keep an eye on in the coming months as Atari and Eden begin to reveal details that will demonstrate how we will fulfill these promises."

Boasting an original gameplay structure designed to appeal to a mass audience, Alone in the Dark aims to go beyond expectations for a next-generation title and re-establish itself as the genre-leader on the Windows platform and Xbox 360.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Unison said:
Good luck with that one. :lol

resident-evil-4-20040818025734689.jpg

To be honest though, I think the Resident Evil series took a BIG step from horror to action with RE4, while I assume Alone in the Dark 5 will continue along the more atmospheric horror-centric path. But I guess it all depends on how one would define "horror". :p

Anyway, looking forward to it...I think it looks decent enough. I liked Alone in the Dark 4 quite a lot, nice to see the series still alive. :)

zou

How about MS uses some of their billions and makes sure they actually get some games that are exclusive? Right now it seems that every interesting game gets released on PC or is getting announced for PS3.

siege

Banned
zou said:
How about MS uses some of their billions and makes sure they actually get some games that are exclusive? Right now it seems that every interesting game gets released on PC or is getting announced for PS3.

Sooner or later, just about every game will be multi-platform, seeing as the majority already are.

zou

siege said:
Sooner or later, just about every game will be multi-platform, seeing as the majority already are.

But right now the 360 is the only next-gen console, so why not make sure that the titles are at least exclusive until the PS3 ships? As it stands right now, every game that *could* be a systemseller, is getting a PC release as well, often even on the same day (Oblivion, GRAW, GoW [, Condemmned] to name a few).

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
The barriers of entry in next-gen development are currently quite high so maximizing profit takes precedence. I'm sure Microsoft is trying their damndest to get exclusive rights on a few games, and they have succeeded with several titles, but few companies are willing to relegate their 20+ million dollar project to a single platform. The ones who can are usually powerful enough to control their own licenses without having to give control to Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo.

<nu>faust

zou said:
But right now the 360 is the only next-gen console, so why not make sure that the titles are at least exclusive until the PS3 ships? As it stands right now, every game that *could* be a systemseller, is getting a PC release as well, often even on the same day (Oblivion, GRAW, GoW [, Condemmned] to name a few).
oblivion is annouced as "console exclusive" by ms, GoW is a ms funded mgs published game and a pc version is not announced , condemned is hardly a system seller , graw is a ubigame and by default the game is time exclusive to 360 for 8 months anyways.... mgs is gonna publish lots of quality 360 titles for critical 2006 holiday season (too human, mass effect, n3, etc) and there are some high quality 3rd party 360 exclusive games coming ( lost planet, dead rising) anyways so why would they bother spending money on exclusives now? if they really wanna hurt sony they should spend money on upcoming big names likes gta.

I really don't like the new AitD settings, they should've stuck to the 20s 30s theme.

AitD 1: Creepy mansion + zombies
AitD 2: Creepy mansion + pirate zombies
AitD 3: Creepy westerntown + cowboy zombies

=> good times.

hobbitx

A bad licensed game based on a bad licensed movie, ugh. I saw the Carnby name and I thought they meant this game was going to use the original main character and setting, then I remembered they gave that tool his name. :/

zou

<nu>faust said:
oblivion is annouced as "console exclusive" by ms, GoW is a ms funded mgs published game and a pc version is not announced , condemned is hardly a system seller , graw is a ubigame and by default the game is time exclusive to 360 for 8 months anyways.... mgs is gonna publish lots of quality 360 titles for critical 2006 holiday season (too human, mass effect, n3, etc) and there are some high quality 3rd party 360 exclusive games coming ( lost planet, dead rising) anyways so why would they bother spending money on exclusives now? if they really wanna hurt sony they should spend money on upcoming big names likes gta.

No one gives a shit about console exclusive, especially if there's only one next-gen console, thats why I didn't use the word. If I can pick up game X on PC as well, the need to get console Y is pretty low. GRAW and Oblivion could have convinced a lot of people to finally get a X360, but if you know you can just pick up the PC version, you won't drop 400$++ to get the console to play the game, especially if you don't have a HDTV.

As for Condemmned: That's why I put it in [].

The EGM article makes this sound awesome, and it definetly looks great. I like how the main guy in these pics is covered in blood and sliced up, that bodes well. They should have you fight the zombie of the central park coyote...

123rl

Alone in the Dark aims to go beyond expectations for a next-generation title and re-establish itself as the genre-leader

I lol'ed :D

Alone In The Dark games have always looked good, but they're horrible and boring to play. Silent Hill and Resident Evil laugh at this game

hadareud

The Translator
zou said:

GoW is about as much a multiplatform title as Halo and Halo 2 are.

Speevy

Banned
zou said:
No one gives a shit about console exclusive, especially if there's only one next-gen console, thats why I didn't use the word. If I can pick up game X on PC as well, the need to get console Y is pretty low. GRAW and Oblivion could have convinced a lot of people to finally get a X360, but if you know you can just pick up the PC version, you won't drop 400$++ to get the console to play the game, especially if you don't have a HDTV.

As for Condemmned: That's why I put it in [].

Most people (as in the case of Oblivion), can't run these games on their PCs.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hope everything is multiplatform. I got burned with THQ and the wrestling scene this gen.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Developers really need to learn how to control themselves with shader effects. It can look good but to much of it makes it look ugly,

Joseph Merrick said:
isn't this based on the movie? haha
That CANT be. Even Atari, at the absolute height of their stupidness (distribute the Famicom/Megadrive under our brand, bah, 5200/'canceled 16 bit machine' tech will rule the world) wouldn't do that. Word has gotten out about Boll, the last gaming lisence he succesfully aquired was Postel, which I couldn't imagine would be terribly hard to get.

Top Bottom