• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ascension |OT| Be part of Syfy's Last Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Banned
wQBbHC1.png

Syfy is bringing space opera back with their miniseries Ascension, created and written by Philip Levens.

In 1963, the U.S. government launched a covert space mission sending hundreds of men, women and children on a century-long voyage aboard the starship Ascension to populate a new world. Nearly 50 years into the journey, as they approach the point of no return, a mysterious murder of a young woman causes the ship’s population to question the true nature of their mission.

Ascension premières December 15th at 9ET|8c on Syfy airing over three consecutive nights and premières December 16th on HBO Nordic

ryme78c.png

O9znDPb.png

Official Website
Official Twitter
Ascension 's IMDb Page
Variety review: "Big, ambitious and more than a little weird"
IGN review: "If you're a fan of science fiction, mystery, drama or all the above, Syfy's latest miniseries will be right up your alley."
The New York Times review: "If you’re sick of sitcoms’ holiday episodes, this alternative is worth a look."
The Hollywood Reporter Asscension review: "...the latter part of Ascension could get better; in the meantime, there’s no shortage of bare backsides to take your mind off the dialogue"
Den of Geek (US) review: "Those expecting a typical space drama from Syfy will either be sorely disappointed or pleasantly surprised."
Deadline video review: "It's not so much that Ascension is bad, but with all the possibilities it could have presented it's just boring"
Entertainment Weekly review: "Ascension is decent crypto-zoo fun and mildly provocative pop culture about pop culture."
io9 recap: "Syfy's Ascension Jumps The Shark In Its Very First Episode"
Den of Geek (UK) review: "Ascension was science fiction without science, character-driven narrative without characters and a story so lacking in interest that this could be the cure for insomnia."
The A.V. Club review: "This is an oddity, but it has just enough new to offer to compensate for the ways in which it is all too frustratingly familiar."

On the one hand, it's my most anticipated new show next year.

On the other hand, it's on Syfy.

I'm hoping for the very best but expecting the very worst.

obin_gam

It's a sci-fi in space. I'll watch it!

At least until Ringworld and those other projects gets off the ground.

berzeli

Banned
Monday? Is it three consecutive new episodes, or a repeat three consecutive days

I think I'll watch

New episodes airing consecutively, it was billed as a six-parter so two parts each night for three nights. Or if they've changed the format to three longer episodes, anyway it still is new episodes for three nights in a row.

berzeli

Banned
The first episode airs tonight, "Night One".

Part 1 of 3. The passengers of a starship on a century-long voyage to populate a new world begin to question the true nature of their covert mission when 50 years into their journey, which began in 1963, a young woman turns up dead of suspicious circumstances.

The New York Times review "If you’re sick of sitcoms’ holiday episodes, this alternative is worth a look."

It's actually reviewing better than I thought, especially with ivy's comments in the TV cancellation thread.

DieH@rd

Banned
Last hope?

They are betting big on next year's adaptation of Expanse books, and are preparing other intersting stuff [Childhood's End, 3001,...].

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hollywood Reporter - 'Ascension': TV Review

As it stands (having seen roughly three hours of it, the latter parts not nearly final. In the meantime, there’s no shortage of bare backsides to take your mind off the dialogue), Ascension has tons of potential and meets a little more than half of it in this early going. But here’s the thing – Ascension almost demands that it be allowed to breathe and grow. It has all the bones to be a good Syfy series and is certainly a better long term bet than Defiance and Dominion.

Is it already confirm this will be a TV series, or is it only deemed as a mini-series as of right now?

It's a miniseries right now, but if it's successful it'll most likely be turned into a full series.

Do SyFy shows get put on Hulu Plus the day after they air?

Hulu can offer a select number of full-length episodes from SyFy's lineup each calendar month. The episodes featured and when they are posted are at SyFy's discretion.

We currently don't have the rights to make Syfy shows available on your TV or mobile devices — request to be notified if it becomes available in Hulu Plus.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I'm giving this a shot! Glad it's on tonight. Plus it's got that guy (Reggie fucking Ledoux did this?!?) from True Detective in it. Should be cool.

Ricker

I hope Space shows it up here in Canada at some point ,I dont have Syfy,otherwise well yeah....looks pretty good.

ivysaur12

Banned
its a six ep mini series

It's not a mini, it's a series.

There are exceptions (see: The Slap), but if there's a miniseries that's 6 episodes or over, it's has series potential for more episodes since 6 episodes is the lowest that WGA/SAG-AFTRA will allow to count as a "season". That's why season 4 of The Big C was technically an all new miniseries. Same with Treme's final season.

Anything under 6 is a true miniseries.

(Also, for the record, I thought this script was monumentally dumb and places like IGN are going to be kind because it's genre. Also, DUMMMMB twist)

Salsa

It's not a mini, it's a series.

There are exceptions (see: The Slap), but if there's a miniseries that's 6 episodes or over, it's has series potential for more episodes since 6 episodes is the lowest that WGA/SAG-AFTRA will allow to count as a "season". That's why season 4 of The Big C was technically an all new miniseries. Same with Treme's final season.

Anything under 6 is a true miniseries.

(Also, for the record, I thought this script was monumentally dumb and places like IGN are going to be kind because it's genre.)

I see

kinda bums me out, was more interested in this as a beggining and end short but good thing

I'm really hoping to like this, but I am so skeptical of if.
I'm going in with an open mind though. It's only 6 episodes, so hopefully they got it all together and execute it well.

ivysaur12

Banned
I see

kinda bums me out, was more interested in this as a beggining and end short but good thing

Yeah, I don't think it's even being referred to as a mini -- just a "limited series", which can mean anything. But episode count is a good rule of thumb when it comes to discerning what's actually meant for one season and what's not.

The upcoming The Dovekeepers on CBS is four episodes, for example. It's a true mini. Gracepoint was 10, and could've been renewed for a second season if it had done well. Etc.

How are we supposed to believe a spaceship built in the 1960s will be fast enough to reach a star system within the timespan of civilization? Are the passengers going to "improvise" and improve the ship as they go along?

B.K.

(Also, for the record, I thought this script was monumentally dumb and places like IGN are going to be kind because it's genre. Also, DUMMMMB twist)

As long as it's not as bad as Helix. That show got more and more stupid with each episode.

charsace

Why do people think it will be bad? Alphas and Defiance are both great shows and both were or are running on syfy. Even the Zombie show that recently finished its first season was fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom