• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch Film Scores 2nd Highest Debut of All-Time in Japan

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Big Hero 6 earned $5.4 million (¥642 million) at the Japanese box office in its opening weekend, putting the Disney film in second place behind local anime Yokai Watch, the big-screen version of the successful multiplatform franchise, which scored a huge $13.6 million (¥1.6 billion) two-day bow.

Yokai Watch, meanwhile, is the biggest multimedia franchise in Japan since Pocket Monsters. After the launch of the first video games on the Nintendo 3DS portable console in the summer of 2013, the manga comics, TV anime series and merchandise have become wildly popular among Japanese children.

Yokai Watch pulled in more than double the take of Big Hero 6 despite opening on 408 screens, compared to 540 for the Disney film.

Top All-Time Opening Weekends [ADMISSIONS]
Admissions [Screen Count] - Film (Distributor)

01 :: 1,486,743 [631] - The Matrix Reloaded (Warner Bros.)
02 :: 1,475,000 [408] - Yo-Kai Watch: It's the Secret of Birth, Nyan! (Toho) *Est*

Pokemon Highest-Grossing Film LTD:

¥7.54 billion ($77.8 million) / 6.54 million admissions: Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 1998)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/japan-box-office-big-hero-759836

Youkai Watch make it rain.

So... it finally happened. We have another Pokemon on our hands. Or Japan does at any rate. Wonder how well it'll cross over when it inevitable comes out here.

Flarin

tumblr_n4kf6raljK1r73plvo1_500.gif

glad to know I can stop worrying about Level 5's continued existence.

sad to know that I can now worry that they'll only exclusively work on Youkai Watch stuff.

vinnygambini

This is completely out of control.

The rapid growth in the franchise is impressive to say the least.

For comparison, the Youkai Watch franchise has already outsold the Ace Attorney series entirely (5 million) in a years time.

rhandino

Banned
I wonder what will they do once they've saturated the market as they always do.
Go for the next big thing I guess. I mean they need to milk the series while is absurdly popular since this could provide cash in the future for other more risky ventures and, hopefully for them, the next big thing...

People saying that they will saturate the market and they should space the releases of new games unless they became a fad must remember that from 1996 - 2000 Pokemon released yearly installment and spin-offs in between and is still very popular.

Now let me see a western release =D

Is the show/game actually good? The first season of Pokemon I can confidently remove the nostalgia goggles and still find entertainment value in it. And of course the games hold up (or did at the time). Is there legitimate substance here?

Didn't couple of Harry Potters and Star Wars III open also with over 2 billion yen? Still of course amazing result and biggest animation opening ever yen wise (dollar wise One Piece Film Z had bigger opening as yen was a lot stronger back then)

vinnygambini

Didn't couple of Harry Potters and Star Wars III open also with over 2 billion yen? Still of course amazing result and biggest animation opening ever yen wise (dollar wise One Piece Film Z had bigger opening as yen was a lot stronger back then)

Yup. But Youkai Watch's record is in regards to ticket admissions as per the OP :p

Is the show/game actually good? The first season of Pokemon I can confidently remove the nostalgia goggles and still find entertainment value in it. And of course the games hold up (or did at the time). Is there legitimate substance here?

I haven't played the games, but the TV show is quite good. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, and I find its sense of wry humor engaging. Well produced as well. I haven't watched Pokemon in ages, but it's better than what I remember of that show.

Seiniyta

Well, at least most pokemon movies are serviceable, only one I remember falling asleep to is the latias/latios one.

You what? Pokemon Heroes? that's like by far one of the best movies! The one in the Venice looking city? Yo crazy man.

Looking at the creatures, I don't think it'll make as much a splash here in the west as Pokemon did. I think it'll be more like digimon where it was still quite popular but not as huge as Pokemno by a long shot. Just a hunch, could be entirely wrong.

You what? Pokemon Heroes? that's like by far one of the best movies! The one in the Venice looking city? Yo crazy man.
Woo, yeah I love the Venice one. Fantastic music too.
I haven't played the games, but the TV show is quite good. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, and I find its sense of wry humor engaging. Well produced as well. I haven't watched Pokemon in ages, but it's better than what I remember of that show.
Interesting, I wonder who will end up producing the dub now that 4kids is dead.

glad to know I can stop worrying about Level 5's continued existence.

sad to know that I can now worry that they'll only exclusively work on Youkai Watch stuff.
There was a period of time when they were no longer doing Dragon Quest, Layton vs Pheonix (despite it being good) didn't move a lot of units and was only leisurely being localized as hype was dying down, their NA branch seemingly wasn't doing a thing, Layton's series decay was at its lowest and only had a slew of bad mobile games to look forward to, their Gundam stuff didn't seem interesting, Time Travelers super bombed, and their upcoming release schedule had nothing except some weird game called Yokai Watch.

WOW Hino, way to move deeper into the mine and strike absolute gold. I hope he snuck a trademark bara Boston Terrier in there for himself.

Top Bottom